• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Most-used kitchen gadgets?

torakris

I've been meaning to post something about these Kyocera slicers for awhile...

Plslicer.gif

I've got both and I like them much more than my benriner...easier to use and clean, and they work better. They're not adjustable, but the slice thickness is fine for almost anything you want to cut into a lot of thin slices. The julienne version makes nice, tiny little matchsticks.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

I've been meaning to post something about these Kyocera slicers for awhile...

Plslicer.gif

I've got both and I like them much more than my benriner...easier to use and clean, and they work better. They're not adjustable, but the slice thickness is fine for almost anything you want to cut into a lot of thin slices. The julienne version makes nice, tiny little matchsticks.

Jim

Hey, these look cool, Jim. Available where??

My problem is not so much usefulness, but space. All of my big gadgets are in a cabinet piled up on top of each other. And, I only have so much room on the counter. I have all but stopped using my toaster. I use it so infrequently, when I do need it it's not worth it to take it out. I love my microwave, but it takes up way too much space, I almost regret buying it.

Ditto on the kyocera slicers, and the OXO peeler.

And the kyocera slicers are available at most cookware stores -- Williams Sonoma, Etc.

Edited by ErinB (log)

My V-slicer is an object of death and dismemberment (see the 'injuries' thread) but invaluable for scalloped potatos, my world-famous grilled hot/sweet onions, etc.

I smirk every time I reach for my dough scraper - the simple one made out of stainless with a rolled handle. I feel like a kitchen god.

I miss my pineapple corer/slicer - lop the top off a whole pineapple and start screwing. Peeled and sliced whole pineapples are the same price as a whole one now.

Gigantic chopsticks.

And I'm still searching for a "chef's pot" - looks like a slow cooker but HOT.

I have the Kyocera julienne slicer but I find it cuts too small for most things. I tried it to make a jicama slaw and everything turned to mush.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose