• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liqueurs

Jason Perlow

...I've been wanting to make a real 20th C. Cocktail... What are people using for creme de cacao?

All I've ever tried is the 1st bottle of Cacao I bought (which is still about 98% full) -- Bols. I have no idea how it compares to Brizzard, etc., but 1/2 tsp of it makes a FINE 20th Century.

Dan

• 1 month later...

Not unusual, rare or particularly interesting but, when a well-meaning coworker gives you something because "I know you're putting together a liquor cabinet and I thought you might like this", the polite thing to do is say "thank you" and take it home. So does anybody know if it's worth opening or is this one of those that you park on the shelf and hope someone who's visiting says "I love that stuff!"?

sheridan.jpg

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Oh my word.....

Leave the lid on. :P

:biggrin: Yeah, I've figured that one out already. Still, it was pretty nice of the person to bring it to me even if I don't really want it. The thoughtfulness of it should earn it a place in the cabinet for a little while anyway.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Why the hesitancy in opening it? Is this another case of the "subtle" snobbery the permeates food boards? It's made by the same folks who make Bailey's Irish Cream, and iirc, it's similar in flavour. The separate bottling is to allow for a layering effect when pouring.

If you don't want it, send it my way or to someone who will at least open it and try it before judging it.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Why the hesitancy in opening it? Is this another case of the "subtle" snobbery the permeates food boards? It's made by the same folks who make Bailey's Irish Cream, and iirc, it's similar in flavour. The separate bottling is to allow for a layering effect when pouring.

If you don't want it, send it my way or to someone who will at least open it and try it before judging it.

I'd already assumed that it was basically just an Irish Cream with the light and dark components seperated in the bottle. I'm not a fan of Bailey's or any other Irish Cream I've tried up to this point so if that was the case then there would be no reason to open it until somebody was around that would want it. I asked about it for the simple reason that it may not have been what I thought it was. Since it is what I thought it was, the snobbery in regards to this bottle, subtle or otherwise, shall continue... but thanks for the lecture. :biggrin:

Not unusual, rare or particularly interesting but, when a well-meaning coworker gives you something because "I know you're putting together a liquor cabinet and I thought you might like this", the polite thing to do is say "thank you" and take it home. So does anybody know if it's worth opening or is this one of those that you park on the shelf and hope someone who's visiting says "I love that stuff!"?

Looks like the fun is in pouring it. Invite some friends over, ply them with a few good drinks, then pull out the bottle and see how it works.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.