• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montreal Breakfast

food_eater

I've been reading for a while, but here's my first post. Hooray!

This is my problem. My lovely wife started working evenings at a fine local eatery, and I would still like to take her out. We have a "Ste-Patate-24hr-grease-joint" on the corner, but somehow that just doesn't seem appropriate, and besides, I doubt they have good coffee. I've seen lots of posts about recommended Mexican, Thai, Sushi, One-day-in-Montreal places, so I hope people can help me out.

I remember passing by a place on Mont-Royal just east of St-Hubert once, but the lineup looked hours long. :sad: Can anyone remind me what this place is called, and whether it is worth the wait? Are there other choices? Also, what are the approximate costs for a good breakfast? We probably wouldn't be having wine... :blink:

Thanks! :smile:

Hi,

Let me be the first one to congratulate you on your first post! :biggrin: I think the one you might be talking about is Beaties. I think that's the name, not too sure. Every time I pass by that place, their is always a line up too. But, that place is located at Mont-royal and St-Urban. I have only been there once, and it wasn't that bad. I had the Bagel with cream chees, smoked salmon, onions and capers. I think it cost me more or less 10$. But you can have a regular 2 egg breakfast for much less. Hope this helps.

Food eater: Let me be the second one to welcome you.

Sorry I can't help, because I live in Chicago, but I must tell you, that as an expat Montrealaise this:

"Ste-Patate-24hr-grease-joint"

made me smile. And get very nostalgic.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Welcome newbie!

The place is called Beauties and business is so good that as soon as you sit down, they can't wait for you to leave. I'm all for efficient service but I'd prefer to finish my food before they try to turn the table. Dusty's on the NE corner of St. Laurent and Parc is a good alternative with somewhat less atmosphere (halfwhat between Beauty's and Le Roi du Greasy Spoon). Also worth a try is Bagel's Etc. which if I recall is on St. Laurent corner of Marie Anne.

While I haven't gone to either place for breakfast I'd probably opt for either L'Express on St. Denis or Chez Leveque on Laurier.

Check out "Olives and Gourmando" in the old city. It's a madhouse but somehow it works. Two tough New Yorkers got so flustered trying to "get" how it works that they left in a huff last time we were there. Fantastic fruit salad in winter--cute lychee's and such--Yumm.

Thanks Chopper for the Leméac brunch tip. We went today, and it was just simply marvellous. I had a great omelette (with fries), and my sweetie had the fruit and beignets. The beignets were piping hot, and their pineapple marmelade was super yummy too. I left stuffed. The only issue I had was that our café au lait were not quite warm enough. But how about that marmelade! Also, I know I will have to be back, because the guy beside me had the poached egg, and I need to give it a shot.

Speaking of the guy beside me, I guess a Sunday afternoon is not the "hippest" time to go out, because with the exception of maybe 2 people, everyone there could have either been my parents, or even grandparents. I felt like I had to sit up straight or someone would say "sit up sonny" and whack me on the knuckles. :hmmm:

I've been to Olive and Gourmando's (actually discovered it accidentally about a week after it opened when they had about 3 tables - each different - and very roomy) but now I don't know if I would linger there. I usually try to get out as soon as possible too. Not in a huff, but there's a nice park with benches on d'Youville just a block away. I invariably get a hot chorizo sandwich :wub: and some kind of bun or pastry and end up there.

Thanks for the tips. These are the kinds of places I am looking for. Yum.

While I haven't gone to either place for breakfast I'd probably opt for either L'Express on St. Denis or Chez Leveque on Laurier.

Seeing your recommendation for Chez Leveque made me smile. We had dinner there last winter on a long weekend trip to Montreal with our 7 yr old and we had a wonderful dinner. The service couldn't have been warmer, the food was great and the neighborhood atmosphere made us feel like un-tourists. And the heavenly tarte au sucre.........

• 2 weeks later...

Reservoir still needs to work on their brunch... two ice cold poached eggs on a bed of watercress, shaven parmesan and bacon bits. Good idea, but extremly salty and..... so cold ! I still like the place, but more for their night shift !

Alexandre G.

I've now eaten two Reservoir brunches, and I don't know if its the Ambree du Ble talkin, but I think I'm in love. Not only is it not too smokey at 11:30 (as opposed to the blue haze at night), but the food is really delicious. Excellent cafe latte in a glass, great freshly squeezed, fantastic omelettes, with beautiful little grelots, and a tasty, tasty onglet. And for some reason I just love having beer with my breakfast -- makes me feel naughty.

The place on Mont-Royal, east of St.Hubert is called L'Avenue. Very busy, that's all i know...

I've been to L'Avenue a few times, and I remember the first time thinking that it was fabulous. Unfortunately, each succeeding time I've been, I've been disappointed. Ultimately, I found it expensive for what you get.

On the subject of good breakfasts, I had a very good one a Toaster, somewhere on the western edge of park Lafontaine. Crepes with fruit and marron...something like that.

My current addiction however is Chez Jose on Duluth & DeBullion. (Chorizo may be the best breakfast food ever!)

I just heard that the Mt Stephen's Club on Drummond has a brunch on Sundays. I went there for a wedding reception, and the decor in the little rooms was fantastic, and the food was good. Any comments on their Brunch? Is it just "good", or is it a Tony the Tiger "Grrrrrrreat"? :smile: Also, any ideas what the cost is, and whether it is a good cost/quality ratio?

I've now eaten two Reservoir brunches, and I don't know if its the Ambree du Ble talkin, but I think I'm in love.  Not only is it not too smokey at 11:30 (as opposed to the blue haze at night), but the food is really delicious.  Excellent cafe latte in a glass, great freshly squeezed, fantastic omelettes, with beautiful little grelots, and a tasty, tasty onglet.  And for some reason I just love having beer with my breakfast -- makes me feel naughty.

On this recommendation I tried Reservoir breakfast saturday morning; I was impressed. Although I couldn't manage the breakfast brew :biggrin: I had the onglet, poached egg with grelots and mout de raisin vinaigrette. Very good.

The one disappointment was my friend who ordered the strawberry salad think it would be of decent size for a light breakfast. I tasted it, and it was nice, but really small. Not sure if they mean for people to have multiple course breakfasts, but that wouldn't fill up anybody.

In the end more food was ordered and everyone left happy.

Next I'm going to Cafe Melies...or maybe Savannah? I love going out for breakfast :wub:

• 5 months later...