• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What with the Nachos?

NeroW

Capital-Ex Boyfriend coming over for dinner tomorrow night.

Of all the laborious cooking I've done for him, he requested my nachos .

What does one serve with nachos?

Soup?

Dessert?

Crow?

:wacko:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Beer.

Feed it to him as a snack. Then make him take you out to dinner. You probably deserve it.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Would have to know:

How do you make your nachos?

What do you put on/in them?

How "substantial" are they?

If they are "traditional" nachos there are quite a few things you could serve with them.

If, on the other hand, they are of the "everything pero el sumidero de la cocina" variety, you'd not want to serve much with them.

So.....?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Wait! I hope this is an Ex- that is technically still "friends". I personally would not go through all the trouble.....but I say some margarita in addition to beer. Then, make him take you out.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

When my husband makes nachos it's usually a meal in itself. If yours are like his, maybe prepare a refreshing dessert such as (homemade) ice cream or a fruit salad.

If he is that capital and/or you want the evening to be really special, get a nice white wine instead of beer.

Anne E. McBride

Thanks for the responses again! I don't know what I'd do without you folks :wub:

awbrig et al: beer is all taken care of. But . . . (swissmiss?) what wine goes with nachos? I find myself uncertain when purchasing white wines in general. Wine and nachos! Will I be shot in the foot for even thinking such a thing?

Jaymes, my nachos are probably more of a production than the nachos most of my friends make. I do the homemade guac and the homemade salsas (I believe I will fry the salsa as you discusssed in a talk about carnitas a few months back), and I do the homemade spice mixes (as opposed to little-yellow-bag spice mix), the quality beef, the quality chips, etc, etc, etc. They are very "substantial."

They are somewhat of a meal in themselves, as swissmiss said, but I have minor presentation issues with just plunking the platter of nachos down on the table and calling it a night. I serve them with limes, chiles, scallions, etc. Is there a soup that would accompany this? I think a salad is out :blink:

Bond Girl, yes, we are technically still friends. And I was thinking of doing frozen margarita popsicles as a dessert. But . . . then we would have to watch each other eat popsicles! Come to think of it, I have minor presentation issues with that as well :huh:

And he is taking me out afterwards. To a brewery.

Help!!!!

I know nothing about wine so I don't know what would go with nachos--only that I would enjoy a good glass of white wine with that dish. If you have a reliable wine store you can ask for help there! And don't worry, since I brought up the idea I'll be shot before you do.

If you want to make a soup, you should probably go for something rather light, like a fusion broth or a gaspacho.

Anne E. McBride

Tortilla Soup - i made it yesterday for 70 people and it was a big hit, but probably too much of a hassle for 2, and for an "ex" who comes over conveniently on date night!

define "ex" though... hmm.. perhaps you should skip the sugar, lime and triple sec and go for the tequila shots...

Are you asking for culinary advice or romantic advice? Strategies would differ.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Yes.

Gaspacho with ground glass?

Or just gaspacho with shavings of queso blanco?

Depends.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Yes.

Gaspacho with ground glass?

Or just gaspacho with shavings of queso blanco?

Depends.

Ha! Ground glass.

Had filet mignon/bearnaise/fries with several male friends tonight, the only advice they could offer me was: "definitely no popsicles. Beer, dude. Dude. No way. Beer."

I thought of a chilpachol also, PaulaDR.

Aargh, who knows. :wacko:

Since I stayed up until 5 AM this morning and had no energy, dinner tonight turned out to be:

Nachos. Beer.

Bits of melon.

Me deciding at the last instant not to go out with him.

Let's just say that I remembered why I don't like him very much no mo'.

Thanks for your help.

Let's just say that I remembered why I don't like him very much no mo'.

I told him that "pull my finger" stuff ain't funny. You made the right choice.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Well THAT was fun.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Awbrig, stop it!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

The funny thing is, I thought of this doll as we were sitting on the living room floor (didn't feel like clearing the dining room table) eating the nachos in slient . . . uh . . . appreciation.

Sometimes, Awbrig, having one of those dolls around is just what one needs to lighten the mood.