• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York Milkshake Co.

Fat Guy

"The Original" New York Milkshake Co.

37 St. Marks Pl. between Second and Third Aves.

Despite the claim of the name, milkshakes are not the strength of the place. Go for exceptional grilled cheese sandwiches. Outrageously priced at $5, but really good.

Very funky interior with Lewis Carroll quotes on the wall, and a wise-cracking counter staff, half middle-aged with Brooklyn accents, half very young and very gay.

Customer: "What's the best milkshake?"

Counterman: "Chocolate."

Customer: "I don't like chocolate."

Counterman: "Then why did you ask?"

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

so would some of the waiters.. (groan)

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Fuck. Yet another place I can't eat at because of my allergy.

You're allergic to chocolate? That would suck.

Jason's lactose intelorant.

I fully sympathize btw -- I'm mildly lactose intolerant -- i.e., milk is out, but not butter, cheese, or yogurt. It's funny because when I was growing up, drinking half a gallon of milk a day was not unheard of, at least where I was concerned. However, all of a sudden, when I was in my early 20s, I had trouble digesting milk. Shows you what too much of a good thing can do...

Cheers,

Soba

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Please tell me they have malts. Nothing sucks more than a place that makes shakes but wont invest in a simple jar of malted milk powder.

If they can do that, it sounds like my kind of place.

What justifies the $5 tag on the grilled cheese?

What justifies the $5 tag on the grilled cheese?

The rent.

If you want to have a store in Manhattan that only sells milkshakes and grilled cheese sandwiches, you've got to charge $5 a pop.

Yes, everything is available as a milkshake or a malted.

As for what they might do special to justify the name, I guess my question would be: what could they do? I mean, isn't it just a question of using good ice cream, having the right kind of dedicated mixer and using it for long enough, and getting the milk-to-ice-cream ratio right? Is there anything else to a milkshake? This place just happens not to nail it on either the shake or the malted that we tried.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

As for what they might do special to justify the name, I guess my question would be: what could they do? I mean, isn't it just a question of using good ice cream, having the right kind of dedicated mixer and using it for long enough, and getting the milk-to-ice-cream ratio right? Is there anything else to a milkshake? This place just happens not to nail it on either the shake or the malted that we tried.

Special flavors. Top quality syrups such as making their own chocolate syrup or a fresh strawberry syrup. Added ingredients. Make their own ice cream or use a top brand ice cream or a true frozen custard. Buttermilk instead of whole milk (never tried it, but could be interesting). That sort of thing.

My favorite shake above and beyond basic comes from Crown Candy Kitchen in St. Louis. A chocolate malted with a banana added to the blender before mixing.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Wait a second. I though only crappy milkshakes were made with syrup? Isn't a premium milkshake just ice cream and milk?

In terms of special flavors, they have green tea. There's also a rotating flavor of the week. The rest of the flavors are pretty standard. I don't know who manufactures the ice cream.

For an extra 50 cents you can get fresh banana or some peanut butter (or, for a dollar, both) added in before mixing.

My recipe for a good malted milk:

Whole milk in a large sized insulated mug

6 heaping teaspoons of Carnation malted milk powder [either original or chocolate]

adjust sweetness to taste - I use about 2 tsp of splenda.

One of my favorite latenight snacks. :wub: