• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold-Weather BBQ

jeniac42

OK, so assuming I actually acquire this smoker tomorrow, and I decide to barbeque on Sunday despite the fact that we're supposed to get light snow, is there anything I should know about cold-weather barbequeing?

I assume it's harder to get the smoker up to temperature because of the cold, right? And from what I can tell the Brinkmann I'm thinking of buying doesn't have intake vents. Will it just take more charcoal? Is this something I should try at all on a first go?

eGullet's so inspiring - I probably wouldn't have thought to do this without all the threads here. I may've gotten to it eventually but who knows how long it would've taken?

Jennie

It looks like the plan to buy the Brinkmann tonight is still a go. I think the directions say you have to burn some charcoal in it before use to get rid of paint fumes or something, but assuming I have time to do that tonight/tomorrow before work, Sunday will be pork shoulder smokin' time.

In terms of thermometers, I've got a Pyrex probe (I know, but I couldn't find a damn Polder and I needed something for the turkey), an oven thermometer, and a couple of cheapo meat therms. I want to buy as little equipment as possible since I've got to get the smoker and a chimney starter both, not to mention some beer, so can I operate with these? This first time, I'm mostly concerned with turning out something edible to convince the husband that this purchase is a good idea. I thought I might just monitor the temp of the pork and make sure it's not cooking too fast. Stupid?

My butcher has bone-in and boneless Boston butts. Generally I go for bone-in - any reason not to? It's $2.69/lb; is that wholly unreasonable (considering it's locally/naturally raised meat)? I don't often buy large cuts.

Jennie

Cold is not as big a factor as wind, and adding the two together compounds the problem. Try as much as possible to minimize wind effects.

Some folks have used water heater insulation to help regulate the temps. The main problem with wind is that in the ECB it is easier for drafts to push their way up into the intake and force heated air out of the smoker. From a purely asthetic POV, wind at any temp can stir up ash and cause it to settle on the meat.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I always do a boneless shoulder - the picnic or the butt. Or maybe I have that backwards. But it's boneless. I'd pick it up tonight and marinate it overnight - I have my book at home, but an overnight soaking in a coffee-based marinade rocks.

I have the $99 all in one, and I've smoked at least 10 picnics, and they've never cooked too fast. But the wind, as they said, would make for a hotter fire. And the thermometer on the outside of mine has warm/ideal/hot - hardly enough to make a judgement. You could sit an oven therm. on top of the grate...

Hope that helps. I think the marinade is a good idea - if it's a water smoker, you can bag the mop. What wood are you using? Remember to soak the wood...

Apologies if you've heard all this before!

Ginny