• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things that should be banned

reduced fat peanut-butter.

reduced-fat mayo.

low-carb bread. (actually bought some at my fave grocery - it was house-made, and felt really soft. then i tried to eat a slice, and it had a taste and texture reminiscent of burnt mozzarella.)

Edited by tryska (log)

--i saw an ad last night for a DQ Blizzard that had chunks of cheesecake in it. i had to concentrate to stop from wanting to barf. :laugh:

Must beg to differ.

If you are a DQ fan (and you are a red commie pig if you aren't), then you get this whole deal.

And it's very tasty. My local DQ mixed the strawberry(with those yummy frozen berries) and toffee flavors for me.

Good to the last drop.

Men WEARING BASEBALL HATS in nice restaurants!  :angry:  Take those damn hats off...or I'll SMACK 'em off your heads!

I'll help you! Now what about people sitting and walking around with toothpicks hanging out of their mouths? It drives me nuts!

For God's Sake Yes!

If you want to wear a hat, go buy a real hat!

Men look great in them. Fedoras. Bowlers.

Get thee to a hat store!

I guess I was spared the "helper" series as a child and never grew to like the taste. The first time I ate it was in college when a room mate prepared it. Nastiest stuff on earth!

But I guess if there is the nostalgia factor there it could taste better.

Uhm, maybe, but not always. Tried it a few years after I had flown the next. Jeez, I could hardly taste anything but SALT.

1.Wonder Bread

2.Potted Meat

3.Cilantro

4.Anything "Helper"

5."Well-done" steaks

6."Cheese food"-anything that has to have the term "food" added to it, ISN'T !

Every new food you try adds a year to your life.Therefore,I am immortal ;=)

2.Potted Meat

How about "seafood." :raz: I love Underwood Devilled Ham...that's potted meat, methinks. Makes delicious stuffed mushrooms! :wub:

2.Potted Meat

How about "seafood." :raz: I love Underwood Devilled Ham...that's potted meat, methinks. Makes delicious stuffed mushrooms! :wub:

Actually,I think devilled ham is just ham.If memory serves(shades of Iron Chef!),potted meat is made with all sorts of unmentionable parts of the animal.Everything but the squeal,as they say!

Maybe they call it "potted" meat because you should be really stoned before you attempt to eat it. :raz: Better that we don't know what's in all of our "pork" products anyway, n'est ce pas? :wink: Some of that stuff is mighty fine, though...not "offal" at all....provided it's made properly. I love the salty taste of the Underwood Stuff and like I said, mixed with sauteed shallot, mushrooms (chopped finely), sherry, good breadcrumbs and butter, stuffed into huge 'shrooms and baked (there we go again... :hmmm: ) it makes a pretty delicious hot appetizer on a bed of nice greens. Another quickie recipe is a Scotch Pate, which is nothing more than a good liverwurst, blended with fresh garlic and a good shot of scotch to taste.

Edited by Pickles (log)

Both those hors d' oervres (sp?) sound good to me! Anything involving mushrooms and/or strong spirits is right up my culinary alley so to speak.I never(unlike my father)acquired a taste for scotch,tho.Tastes like Liquid Smoke to me.Guess I'm a philistine.Give me a shot of good bourbon( i.e. Maker's Mark) any old day instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone mentioned Pimento Loaf, Macaroni and Cheese in the "blue box" or Noodles or rice in a box/envelope with "sauce"?

YUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by TJHarris (log)

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

I don't know about banned, but Ketchup should cost $20 or so per bottle.

That way perhaps people would use it as a general flavor additive and not to smother and cloak the taste of perfectly good food.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Any form of meat or pasta that arrives in a little plastic microwaveable container. The food is awful and the container is not recyclable...it's like laughing at mother nature and then kicking her in the teeth!

Canned meats in general. If you're gona eat the animal, at least make it feel like it died for a decent cause. Sheesh.

hey now. spam rocks.

Ha, I actually forgot about spam. I was thinking more of Dinty Moore products when I wrote that. I can't believe I am admitting this, but I have never actually eaten spam. Though I think one of the first things I ever made as a kid was corned beef hash, and I remember feeling very proud of it. A fine vehicle for ketchup, that dish.

corned beef hash, when cooked til it's crispy is good stuff.

i get what you're saying tho. ever since i switched my cats to canned food, i've been hesitant to eat meat in a can. the smells are too similar.

Lord Hurlworthy, writing in, "Book of the Damned: Things That Should be Banned," named Lunch-ables as Satan's Favorite Plaything. Artificial flavorings, corruption of the young, more packaging than foodstuff -- they're right up there with Irwin Mainway's classic toy for tots, "Bag of Glass Shards."

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

reading this thread has caused copious quantities of tea to blow out my nose!

yall are tooooooo funny!

if i had the ear of the powers that be, i would demand the immediate banning of:

canned asparagus

spam

pimento loaf and olive loaf

velveeta

xo

Edited by ElfWorks (log)

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray soda

HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT ?!!!!!!!!!!

(By the way, Applebee's reblets indeed, indeed!)

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

What the hell is emotional hardcore?

And....how do you EAT it?

Topic: The "Uncrustables" line of frozen, pre-made sandwiches. I can see being a little too busy/frugal to buy your own deli meats and bread and needing instead to rely on buying more complex sandwiches premade, but -- pre-made grilled cheese and PB&J sandwiches?

Edited by Callipygos (log)

I wasn't offended....I just wanted people to be aware that hands can get so bent out of shape that cutting hard vegetables like potatoes, carrots, turnips can be a chore--if not impossible. The already made mashed potatoes in the fridge and freezer sections are a decent alternative to that "library paste in a box" called "instant mashed potato." If you need to stucco your ceilings, that stuff is perfect. At least the other variety is made from real potato and you just add milk and butter. Great to keep on hand, no matter what your situation. Sometimes, I myself don't get excited at the prospect of peeling, cubing and boiling. And I loves me my spuds!! :biggrin:

So true! I have had to stop one element of my art work, engraving in glass and crystal, because I have arthritis in the joint at the base of my right thumb that controls my grasping and no longer have the strength to hold the engraving handpiece.

I have had to alter the way I do many things in the kitchen. I went to a two-handled mezzaluna for chopping herbs, etc., because I couldn't hold the regular one.

If I have to do a lot of knife work I have to break it up into sessions no more than twenty minutes long. Otherwise I can't hold on to anything.

The things I really think should be banned are:

"Designer" anything.

For God's sake, what is a "designer vegetable" ?

As far as I am concerned, tacking "designer" on anything, coffee, wine, beer, ice cream, candy or whatever, is just an excuse to charge a premium price for a medicore (or worse) product.

Even "artisanal" is losing its meaning. In my opinion artisan breads, for instance, should be made by small local bakeries that maintain a distinct product that is different from the mass-produced pap that passes for bread.

I bake most of my own bread but occasionally buy a loaf. One used to be able to find French style breads that had a distinct flavor, a bit of a toasty, slightly yeasty hint that was distinct.

Now they all taste alike.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett