• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things that should be banned

I agree re chocolate/mint.  they shouldn't be together.  ever.

carry on.

No, I firmly disagree with that. Some of the best Ice Cream and Gelato experiences I have ever had have centered around mint chocolate chip flavors.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

carry on.

No, I firmly disagree with that. Some of the best Ice Cream and Gelato experiences I have ever had have centered around mint chocolate chip flavors.

well you see, that's where you're wrong. :biggrin:

seriously, most chocolate/mint applications fall short. i mean, i'll put a piece of fresh mint on *anything*. but that chemical tasting mint stuff, in bad chocolate, just isn't worth it.

carry on.

well you see, that's where you're wrong. :biggrin:

seriously, most chocolate/mint applications fall short. i mean, i'll put a piece of fresh mint on *anything*. but that chemical tasting mint stuff, in bad chocolate, just isn't worth it.

Well thats different. But definitely natural mint flavoring paired with chocolate is a good thing.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I loved the instructions.  I expect it would just not be the same without the margarine.

Oh well, so much food, so little time.  That's my excuse.

The trouble-shooting page is pretty hilarious too.

I think its also a suburban American aquired taste. :laugh:

I loved the instructions.  I expect it would just not be the same without the margarine.

Oh well, so much food, so little time.  That's my excuse.

The trouble-shooting page is pretty hilarious too.

They seem to have missed the most obvious problem: "Why does it taste like shite?"

I guess I was spared the "helper" series as a child and never grew to like the taste. The first time I ate it was in college when a room mate prepared it. Nastiest stuff on earth!

But I guess if there is the nostalgia factor there it could taste better.

One of my favorite foods as a child was this veal parmagiana that my mother used to buy frozen in these big trays in the freezer section of the supermarket. We called it veal but I truely doubt that it was. It was pre-made you just popped the whole tray of the soupy soggy mess into the oven to heat it up. Wonderful stuff! :biggrin: I still think about it sometimes occcasionally. :shock:

Edited by torakris (log)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Pollock that is formed, coloured and sold as crab and the restaurants that are cocky enough to list crab on the menu and then serve up that crap.

Anything “Lite”

Ice cream that is mostly air.

Thomas’s “fresh” waffles. I was foolish enough to try those once. The nauseating and powerful fake vanilla smell forced me to open all the windows on a cold Toronto winter day. I never did taste them.

Flavoured coffees. I used to enjoy going into a coffee shop and take in the aroma until these things got popular. Now I run past holding my breath.

Cilantro. Food is supposed to taste good, not like soap.

Edited by Hickory (log)

well as  former employee of red lobster, you can see that i was the envy of my town.

I don't know you

how do you expect me to pay for my tuna helper? a girl needs a job to support a habit.

I don't recall the American cheeses sampled at Artisanal. There may have been some, but it was a pretty global selection. I once had Max set up a pairing of American cheeses with generic European equivalents at Picholine, and the American cheeses held their own very well. I've been enjoying small production American cheeses for years now, so either I'm mad or you're wrong. I wouldn't contend the products are superior overall to British and French cheeses - but ban them?

I don't recall the American cheeses sampled at Artisanal.  There may have been some, but it was a pretty global selection.  I once had Max set up a pairing of American cheeses with generic European equivalents at Picholine, and the American cheeses held their own very well.  I've been enjoying small production American cheeses for years now, so either I'm mad or you're wrong.  I wouldn't contend the products are superior overall to British and French cheeses - but ban them?

of course ban them

This site is about extremes

Perhaps I should have added cheese in America as well as American cheese

S

I don't recall the American cheeses sampled at Artisanal.  There may have been some, but it was a pretty global selection.  I once had Max set up a pairing of American cheeses with generic European equivalents at Picholine, and the American cheeses held their own very well.  I've been enjoying small production American cheeses for years now, so either I'm mad or you're wrong.  I wouldn't contend the products are superior overall to British and French cheeses - but ban them?

of course ban them

This site is about extremes

Perhaps I should have added cheese in America as well as American cheese

S

How about cheesy ex-pats in America?