• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things that should be banned

What the hell is emo?

I'm glad you asked first, elyse! I thought I was the only one not in the know . . .

Emo-emotional hardcore, a derivative of punk. Started in D.C. in the 70s/80s...though the stuff you find today is nothing of the sort that was actually listenable.

sorry to get off track, but could you pm some examples? I thought this was RAEL rock... :blink:

I like cinnamon raisin toast, or golden raisins

I like a nice, pliable filet: it's a texture thing, like Taco Bowel Burritos

I like Andes mints and those girl-scout cookies

I like a nice cab too...especially without the rearview mirror pine tree (ba dum bum)

I wonder what all the processed foods would taste like without the "real, natural flavorings"...how to describe the unmasked flavors of guargum, polysorbate 80, and my personal favorite: xanthum. would it be like Matrix gruel?

I like the faux flavors of all Jolly Rancher candies: it's when they market them off as martinis that kills me.

Boo Miracle Whip

Boo Marshmallow

Boo McAnything

Emo music.

Hey, I like emo!

No need to get emotional about it.

:laugh:

Instant coffee (the kind where you put a spoonful into hot water).

Canned mushrooms are scary.

Early emo (or "emocore") originated in DC in '84 or '85 as nerissa said. Examples: Jawbreaker, Hot Water Music. Mainly former members of punk bands who felt limited by the constraints of punk music. Guitar-oriented, midtempo.

Late 80s "emo": Evergreen, Shotmaker, Ordination of Aaron. Mid-90s "post-emo": the great Sunny Day Real Estate :wub: .

Nowadays emo is difficult to define. Why anyone would want to try is beyond me.

Anyway, that yellow furniture-polish stuff they put inside of jelly doughnuts is scary.

Car-lot popcorn.

Noise is music. All else is food.

But I do like a filet mignon. I like it a lot. Sorry.

Thanks Nero, I was wondering to think I was crazy for loving a nice charred rare filet Mignon and a nice cab...

Two of my favorite things!

Yes, but I can never get the char just as I want it!

:sad:

But I do like a filet mignon. I like it a lot. Sorry.

Thanks Nero, I was wondering to think I was crazy for loving a nice charred rare filet Mignon and a nice cab...

Two of my favorite things!

I do too. So there. Maybe we're crazy, fellow Chicagoans...and that's why we have so much fun together.

Nero...to find the right char, just keep practicing! :smile:

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Early emo (or "emocore") originated in DC in '84 or '85 as nerissa said.  Examples: Jawbreaker, Hot Water Music.  Mainly former members of punk bands who felt limited by the constraints of punk music.  Guitar-oriented, midtempo.

Late 80s "emo": Evergreen, Shotmaker, Ordination of Aaron.  Mid-90s "post-emo": the great Sunny Day Real Estate  :wub:

please don't forget Dag Nasty.

thank you.

continue.

Nero, thanks for the emo def. 

What the hell is car-lot popcorn?

Car lot popcorn is the nasty cold yesterday's popcorn that I shove mindlessly into my mouth at my second job, which is at a car lot.

Nero, thanks for the emo def. 

What the hell is car-lot popcorn?

Car lot popcorn is the nasty cold yesterday's popcorn that I shove mindlessly into my mouth at my second job, which is at a car lot.

Tastes like plastic to me.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Is it from one of those "old time" poppers?  Why don't they just buy bagged?

It's from one of those poppers. The smell, I believe, is supposed to induce shitty-car buying frenzy.

how do people feel about tuna helper?

i'm going to lose all credibility here but i love the stuff. its one of those childhood tastes that i crave. same with pepperidge farm cakes and milano cookies. love them.