• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things that should be banned

Pan, tinned tomatoes are a joy for the many months out of the year when there is nothing out of a tin worth being called a tomato.

I definitely see your point there.

Michael aka "Pan"

Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray soda

I like Cel-Ray with pastrami! So there!

Cel-Ray is the natural accompaniment to any Jewish deli sandwich. Gotta have it. Necessary belching inducer.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Marmite/Vegemite.  Chocolate-covered cherries.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

chocolate covered cherries come second only to yuke in my book! :biggrin:

Perhaps there's a distinction to be made between cherry cordials and mere chocolate covered cherries.

Kill 'em all.

Odd because chocolate and raspberry go so well together. Perhaps it's never been done properly.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

chocolate and cherries are one of the best combinations ever! :biggrin:

though raspberries and coconut are a close second.

I will second the spam (adding all canned meat products) and non-fat products.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

-peas and carrots, who the hell came up with this awful mixture. I like peas, I like carrots, but not peas and carrots.

-fat free italian dressing--i can handle most other versions, but the italian versions where the dehydrated specks of peppers floating in their congegled bath. Yuck

-hot dogs that are bright red and stain the bun. I can occassionly get one down if it covered with enough toppings..

-Cheap American Cheese. Ok, I know its so uncool to like American Cheese, and all american cheese is cheap, but I do like it toasted on bread, but I bought some 99 cent version one time, not knowing that it had no milk whatsoever in it when i was a poor college student ( i am now a poor professional) and it would not melt. I recall biting into a sandwhich that tasted like I had chewed up a '45.

-----------------

AMUSE ME

Yes, deli versions of American cheese are quite acceptable, and in fact vastly preferable in my book. That being said, yellow plastic wrapped American cheese is less of an abomination than WHITE plastic wrapped Kraft's Singles.

Oh, almost forgot -- #7 to the list is Goober's peanut butter and jam....mixed together in the SAME jar. Gets pretty disgusting over time. For those who may not know what I'm talking about, Goober's is a type of peanut butter that also contains grape jam in the same jar. It was a favorite of mine back in the day, but now I'm sick of it.

Soba

chocolate and cherries are one of the best combinations ever! :biggrin:

though raspberries and coconut are a close second.

I will second the spam  (adding all canned meat products) and non-fat products.

It defies explanation, but many Hawaiians LOVE Spam.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Yes, deli versions of American cheese are quite acceptable, and in fact vastly preferable in my book.  That being said, yellow plastic wrapped American cheese is less of an abomination than WHITE plastic wrapped Kraft's Singles.

I would think white cheese would be the lesser abomination, given that yellow American cheese is probably that color because of food dye.

Oh, almost forgot -- #7 to the list is Goober's peanut butter and jam....mixed together in the SAME jar.

When I was a little kid and lived on PB&J's, even I wouldn't touch that stuff. There are some things that just shouldn't live in the same bottle with each other.

Regarding the mystery of Hawaiiians love of SPAM. It was a big, big food staple back during WWII, and I suspect long before. I suspect that tough times, poverty made it a huge hit. It was probably a top seller on the black market food list, back when things were rationed.

It may have to due with limited hog farming as well? Lack of refridgeration?

I was watching a documentary on the the city of Chicago and they had the first packing plants that canned pork. I was an instant international #1 seller, back before the days of refridgeration.

I will second the spam  (adding all canned meat products) and non-fat products.

the very afternoon that I wrote this my MIL gave me 2 cans of spam, she was going to grill them on the BBQ? :huh: and make spam burgers but i insisted that we were too full. So she gave them to me to take home :wacko:

In Japan they are seen as a gourmet product and cost about $6 a can! :shock:

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Perhaps there's a distinction to be made between cherry cordials and mere chocolate covered cherries.

Kill 'em all.

YEAH! And add to that ANYTHNG with artificial cherry flavor. Canned spinach. Chocolate-and-mint anything. YUCK! Skim milk. Why bother? Puffy white bread that sticks to the roof of the mouth. Cooks who turn suid to rubber.

Spray Oven cleaners[no brand names mentioned].I was assisting a cooking class years ago,and opened the oven door to an oven that had been sprayed but not cleaned afterward.My eyes were wide open,but my vision was GONE,totally black,for about one terrifying minute.The fact that marijuana[for instance] is illegal,while lots of people are using this scary stuff without care,is well.....typical.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Kill 'em all.

YEAH! And add to that ANYTHNG with artificial cherry flavor. Canned spinach. Chocolate-and-mint anything. YUCK! Skim milk. Why bother? Puffy white bread that sticks to the roof of the mouth. Cooks who turn suid to rubber.

No chocolate-mint? :shock:

oh, dear :sad:

I don't care what anyone says I like a lot of artificial flavors. Strawberry and cherry included. Well, certain cherry flavors. I like artificial watermelon and apple, but not when they're trying to make it like real apple. Flame away!

I too like chocolate mint, tk.

As for skim milk, whole milk feels like slimy and thick going down my throat these days. As a kid I would not touch skim unless threatened.

I agree with the Goober nastiness, Miracle Whip, and Cool Whip. Foul. In my book.

What the hell is emo?

What the hell is emo?

I'm glad you asked first, elyse! I thought I was the only one not in the know . . .

Emo-emotional hardcore, a derivative of punk. Started in D.C. in the 70s/80s...though the stuff you find today is nothing of the sort that was actually listenable.

What the hell is emo?

I'm glad you asked first, elyse! I thought I was the only one not in the know . . .

Emo-emotional hardcore, a derivative of punk. Started in D.C. in the 70s/80s...though the stuff you find today is nothing of the sort that was actually listenable.

Thanks for enlightening us, nerissa.

Now I feel like an old fuddy-duddy . . . :sad: