• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things that should be banned

Bottled "French" salad dressing (Not anti French. Am anti Florescent orange goo)

Bottled "Russian" salad dressing.

Minute rice (Yeah I know, it removes all those complex technical issues one comes across when cooking rice... :hmmm: )

Instant mashed potatoes (Same as rice comment)

Anything with "Lite" on the label.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Don't knock canned foods.  Yes there are many terrible examples such as the one above.  But sometimes canned foods can be superior to their fresh counterparts: olives, peppers, tomatos, and one of my favourites, corn!

Canned corn better than fresh? Shudder... :shock:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Don't knock canned foods.  Yes there are many terrible examples such as the one above.  But sometimes canned foods can be superior to their fresh counterparts: olives, peppers, tomatos, and one of my favourites, corn!

Canned corn? Really? I'm not going to crack on you about your personal preferences--because certainly I've got quite a few less than austere bents--but canned corn? Packed in that icky corn milk stuff? Somethings are better left unsaid.... :laugh:

the various varieties of "summer fresh" or "summer crips" canned corns are quite good. and available all year round, anywhere.

the various varieties of "summer fresh" or "summer crips" canned corns are quite good. and available all year round, anywhere.

summer CRIPS? Let me guess, only available in LA in the hood...

I haven't thought of chocolate Twinkies in years. I remember they were kinda gross. I wonder if they would be better deep fried?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Just to clarify: by "American cheese" you mean that processed 'food' flattened into squares and wrapped in plastic, right? I wouldn't want someone banning real cheeses made in America.

Liza -- "American cheese" is that yellow cheese like substance that's made with vegetable oil and not milk like real cheese should. (I think its vegetable oil...someone pls correct me if I'm wrong.) Kraft's Singles comes to mind.

:blink:

Cheers,

Soba

Actually, American cheese is not too bad IF you get the kind sold at the supermarket deli counter sliced to order. Land O' Lakes is good; Boar's Head a close second. They're pretty much "real cheese," as opposed to the plastic-tasting stuff in the dairy aisle.

Goodness, I'd forgotten this. When first in NY (15 years ago), I went through a phase of eating Alpine Lace, I think it's called. I think it's Swiss cheese (American stye?) and the deli staff sliced it. I used to put it on a white tortilla along with tomato and scattering of cilantro, place under the grill, and when melted roll it up. Who knows if I'd still like it.

Yvonne, I very much doubt you would. How can I say this? My mother-in-law's standard lunch is a sandwich of no-salt deli turkey breast and Alpine Lace, on supermarket challah. At least she uses Grey Poupon. Other wise, she has no taste whatsoever.

Marmite/Vegemite.  Chocolate-covered cherries.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

chocolate covered cherries come second only to yuke in my book! :biggrin:

Perhaps there's a distinction to be made between cherry cordials and mere chocolate covered cherries.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Marmite/Vegemite.  Chocolate-covered cherries.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

chocolate covered cherries come second only to yuke in my book! :biggrin:

Perhaps there's a distinction to be made between cherry cordials and mere chocolate covered cherries.

Kill 'em all.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I completely concur on the horribleness of "fat-free" -- for foods that are supposed to have fat in them.

Suzanne, excellent point, well said. I was stuck for words last night, but that's basically what I meant.

Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray soda

I like Cel-Ray with pastrami! So there!

I just looked at the ketchup thread. I do not like ketchup by itself in anything. If it's used as an ingredient in such a way that the resulting sauce tastes like something else, that's fine. I do like good tomato sauce, preferably from scratch, but canned tomatoes and tomato paste can be quite acceptable.

Michael aka "Pan"

Pan, tinned tomatoes are a joy for the many months out of the year when there is nothing out of a tin worth being called a tomato.

I like the idea of Cel-Ray but have never tasted it.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM