• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things that should be banned

I'm going to defend American cheese. Wrapped around a dill pickle? Call me white trash, it's a delite.

Cheese Whiz, I'm not going to defend, but it is the traditional cheesesteak cheese.

I would kill for olives of any sort.

About fat-free...er...meringue? Ices? Bread?

Tapioca.

Konnyaku.

Margarine.

Konnyaku.

Cheez Whiz.

Konnyaku.

Filet mignon masquerading as steak.

Konnyaku.

"Riblets".

Konnyaku.

"Niblets".

Konnyaku.

Jin - shouldn't you have had Twiglets in there just to keep up the flow? (And they're pretty disgusting).

Adam

What's in your black book of shame?

(1) Vanillin. I've gradually come to the conclusion that I hate vanillin, although it's a mild form of hatred. But I have lately taken to refusing to buy any product that uses vanillin instead of real vanilla. It's so inferior, in addition to the fact that it's artificial, and I have no way of knowing whether it won't be proven dangerous at some future point.

(2) Artificial preservatives, artificial flavors, and artificial colors generally. On the rare occasions when I buy a loaf of bread in a supermarket, I will not get any loaf that contains preservatives like potassium sorbate or calcium propionate or sodium pyrophosphate (or whatever that stuff is). There's no reason for me to put those things into my body. But the fact is that whenever I do buy bread (and that's not that often), I usually get it in my local health food store, it has no preservatives and gets moldy quickly if I don't eat it quickly, but it's much better when it's fresh. Living alone is a problem if you want good bread.

(3) Things like pectin or corn starch when added to yogurt. I can't stand them in that context. Give me pure yogurt any day, even if it isn't organic.

(4) An overabundance of salt. This is a big problem for me in many restaurants, coupled with an overabundance of fat, but at least the fat often doesn't taste bad. :wacko:

(5) Green bell peppers. I seem to have an allergy to all bell peppers and no hot peppers of any color. Go figure. But though I like the taste of ripe bell peppers (red, but even more, yellow/white/purple) even though they're no good for me, I do not like green bell peppers. Obviously, many people do, but I find them bad-tasting and somewhat irritating to my tongue.

(6) I also hate commercial mayonnaise.

Michael aka "Pan"

low-fat products

artificial flavors and colors

cheap meat

apples, tomatoes and strawberries with no taste AT ALL

any product containing pesticides, hormones, added vitamins etc.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

Skinless/boneless/tasteless/pointless chicken breasts (unless Soba makes them).

Yeah, but the problem is, he'll make 'em with that Mrs. Dash stuff he likes, which I'm sure is on someone's list.*

*Not mine, of course.

LOL

touche

I only use Mrs. D when I'm in the mood to be lazy. Not all the time, of course. :hmmm: I think my new love is bhel puri mix. Of course, I don't recommend following in my footsteps. :smile:

Cheers,

Soba

BigBear, you did it again! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I completely concur on the horribleness of "fat-free" -- for foods that are supposed to have fat in them. The only foods I've ever thrown out that were not spoiled were "fat-free cream cheese" and Snackwell's fudge cookies :angry::angry: All that extra sugar and gunk and goo. Gah.

But I wouldn't go so far as to ban them. I just feel very, very sorry for the folks who waste their money on them. (Yes, this is definitely a snobby thread. :sad: )

Anybody ever had PURITAN MEATBALLS IN GRAVY?!!

Ingredients include: Beef and/or pork and/or mutton etc...

Pure evil!!!

Don't knock canned foods. Yes there are many terrible examples such as the one above. But sometimes canned foods can be superior to their fresh counterparts: olives, peppers, tomatos, and one of my favourites, corn!

Guess you won't be signing up for the ride on the Weinermobile.

I'm going to wait..... tommy? anyone?

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Weinermobiles not withstanding... :laugh:

I think Swanson's 1 Pound Hungry Man Dinners should be banned.

If someone ate one of those daily for a year, how much would they weigh?

Doctors? Nutritionists? Anyone? :blink:

Kitchen Kutie

"I've had jutht about enough outta you!"--Daffy Duck

Just to clarify: by "American cheese" you mean that processed 'food' flattened into squares and wrapped in plastic, right? I wouldn't want someone banning real cheeses made in America.

Liza -- "American cheese" is that yellow cheese like substance that's made with vegetable oil and not milk like real cheese should. (I think its vegetable oil...someone pls correct me if I'm wrong.) Kraft's Singles comes to mind.

:blink:

Cheers,

Soba