• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things that should be banned

The top five, in my black book of shame:

1. Pimento stuffed olives

2. Margarine

3. Cheez Whiz

4. Anything that says "fat free". Gimme fat (in moderation) any day.

5. Canned green beans. (Or canned vegetables, period.)

What's in your black book of shame?

:blink:

Soba

Those synthetic "spreads" that come in a tub, and when added to a hot skillet separate into a waxy blob and a bubbly puddle of mystery moisture. :shock:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

The top five, in my black book of shame:

3.  Cheez Whiz

My answer to the question of what should be banned is corporate family oriented chains such as Red Lobster and Olive Garden - not only for setting culinary mediocrity as the norm for non-urban America - but for Walmarting many of the small family, locallly owned restaurants our of existance.

However I take exception to one of the items on your list.

Cheez Whiz: Normally yes, but it is an essential ingredient of a Cheese Steak. There's something about pairing the grease from the steak and the fried onions with the chemicals from the Whiz that approachs gourmand nirvanna.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Salad shrimp. That's bait, not food. Watery, tasteless, bleah.

Any cereal based on a cartoon or movie. Kids should get all wound up the old fashioned way - Frosted Flakes, Cap'n Crunch, and Froot Loops.

There's something about pairing the grease from the steak and the fried onions with the chemicals from the Whiz that approachs gourmand nirvanna.

Hmm. Guess I just haven't had a good one. :hmmm:

Edit: you have to type "quote", "qupte" is no good.

Edited by Wilfrid (log)

I agree with everything posted so far, except the pimento stuffed olives (which I love! :biggrin: )

and although I have never eaten those riblets, they have popped up in almost every thread I have entered so iI hate them without ever seeign or tasting them! :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Ok, someone gimme a clue about dese riblets.

I know they're around here somewhere. :blink:

Holly: The cheesesteaks I've had have always used REAL cheese. Dunno where you've gotten dose cheesesteaks. Next someone'll be tellin' me all about cheesesteaks with radioactive cheese. (j/k) :raz:

Speakin' of radioactive cheese, that includes cheeseburgers from Burger King. That's what you get when you nuke those steamed burgers (I'm not kidding!), topped with slices of American cheese in a microwave before assembling the burger. The burgers ARE flame-broiled, but they go into a steamer so that there's available sandwich material in case there's a lunch crowd rush. Technically, the burgers are supposed to be thrown out after a certain time period...but that almost never gets done. :blink: I suppose you can add that to the list as #6.

Cheers,

Soba

Cheez Whiz:  Normally yes, but it is an essential ingredient of a Cheese Steak.  There's something about pairing the grease from the steak and the fried onions with the chemicals from the Whiz that approachs gourmand nirvanna.

You can also microwave it right in the jar to make quick nachos.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

1.  Pimento stuffed olives
I love olives, including those.
2.  Margarine
I stopped using it years ago. However, keep in mind that kosher brands are useful to those who adhere to kashruth.
3.  Cheez Whiz
Never had it.
4.  Anything that says "fat free".  Gimme fat (in moderation) any day.
Amen!
5.  Canned green beans.  (Or canned vegetables, period.)
Canned tomatoes are a staple in my pantry. I also take the easy route and use canned beets to make cold summer borsht and pickled beets. They taste just fine. And I always have a small can of French string beans on hand because they are an essential ingredient when making mock/vegetarian chopped liver.

I can't remember the last time I bought bottled salad dressing. I always make my own. :smile:

Holly:  The cheesesteaks I've had have always used REAL cheese.  Dunno where you've gotten dose cheesesteaks.  Next someone'll be tellin' me all about cheesesteaks with radioactive cheese.  (j/k)  :raz:

It's true. Cheese Steaks are supposed to be eaten with Cheese Wiz (I guess that means there's no cheese in a cheese steak!) Anyway, go down to south Philly and spend some time around Pat's and Gino's and see what people order. Sure some go for provalone, but the true fat, slovenly Philly locals will always go for the Wiz, and they've been eating 'em all their life. No wonder Philly is one of the fattest city in America (that and the Wing Bowl).

-Eric

Oh, no. I like pimiento-stuffed olives. Cheez Whiz is a miraculous thing if only for the reason Holly mentioned (if you've never had a cheesesteak made with Whiz, oh, man...). And canned green beans make the best... green bean casserole.

Yes, I admit it. I eat crap food and enjoy it. I also like pimiento cheese, individually-wrapped cheese slices (though these should be labelled "for use in grilled cheese ONLY"), french fries covered in gravy, cheez whiz, seasoning salt, and ketchup, and this:

Velveeta Bread

Toast a slice of puffy white bread. Slice Velveeta about 1/4" thick. Make a single layer of Velveeta on the toast. Sprinkle with onion salt and broil until the "cheese" is melted and the corners of it are brown.

However, I wholeheartedly endorse a ban on margarine. I lived in front of a margarine factory for two years and if I hadn't already been avoiding it, I certainly would have started. It reeked. Also, I wish oregano would become rare and expensive so they'd quit putting it on every damned steamed vegetable in the cafeteria.

Jennie

Speakin' of radioactive cheese, that includes cheeseburgers from Burger King.  That's what you get when you nuke those steamed burgers (I'm not kidding!), topped with slices of American cheese in a microwave before assembling the burger.  The burgers ARE flame-broiled, but they go into a steamer so that there's available sandwich material in case there's a lunch crowd rush.  Technically, the burgers are supposed to be thrown out after a certain time period...but that almost never gets done.  :blink:  I suppose you can add that to the list as #6.

Cheers,

Soba

i think BK nukes *every* cheeseburger, if not every burger. it has nothing to do with preparing for a rush. it's just the procedure.

steamed burgers are great. white castle has made a career out of it for 60 years or so.

Hey, Stone, I LOVE ketchup....

1. ...as long as its not officially proclaimed a vegetable.

2. Try banana ketchup if you can. Beats Heinz's any day.

3. That said, I like Heinz compared to Hunt's.

You haven't lived until you've had ketchup on grits. :smile:

Cheers,

Soba

Tapioca.

Konnyaku.

Margarine.

Konnyaku.

Cheez Whiz.

Konnyaku.

Filet mignon masquerading as steak.

Konnyaku.

"Riblets".

Konnyaku.

"Niblets".

Konnyaku.

Marshmallow spread.

Konnyaku.

Bottled ketchup.

Konnyaku.

Frozen waffles.

Konnyaku.

eGullet "I hate this stuff" threads.

Konnyaku.

Steve P's PM inbox filled with PMs from experts that agree with him.

Konnyaku.

Mint jelly.

Konnyaku.

Skinless/boneless/tasteless/pointless chicken breasts (unless Soba makes them).

Konnyaku.

Watery pre-sliced bacon.

Konnyaku.

Banning things.

Konnyaku.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Chicken McSponges, American Cheese, Potato Powder, Butter-O, I can't Believe It's Not Butter, Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray soda, those ill-conceived taco creations from Taco Bell that incorperate a soft shell and a hard one spackled together with bland bean puree, stuffed crust pizza, red hot dogs (I know I'm fighting a losing battle there), canned marinara, canned bearnaise (bio-hazard, just add moron)...I could go on....

Filet mignon masquerading as steak.

Filet Mignon is steak, maybe not for everyone's taste, but I can assure you it can be a GREAT thing... :smile:

I'm sure that Charlie Trotter has a bottled sauce that could give it some flavour?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I'm sure that Charlie Trotter has a bottled sauce that could give it some flavour?

Im not sure - Im not a huge fan of some of his bottled sauces...

But if you had the filet that I had @ Gibsons this week, you may change your mind. But then again you may not...

I happen to love a nicely cooked prime filet whether it was done at Charlie Trotters, Gibsons, Ruths Chris or by myself @ home...

Edited by awbrig (log)

Jinmyo:

You are hilarious. What is Konnyaku ?(I don't have a PM box full of experts)

Things that should be banned:

1) Margarine (very much agree with the trenches)

2) American Cheese. Ditto.

3) Ranch dresssing. I can't even walk down the immense 3/4 of aisle space that ranch dressing occupies at my local Dominicks....actually, one reason I now shop at Whole Paycheck.