• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things that should be banned

andiesenji, I too have problems with my hands. The medicines I take cause the nerves in my hands to make them so tender at times that it drives me nuts! I am adjusting to it, but it makes some formerly pleasant things distinctly un- now.

Lord Hurlworthy, writing in, "Book of the Damned:  Things That Should be Banned," named Lunch-ables as Satan's Favorite Plaything.  Artificial flavorings, corruption of the young, more packaging than foodstuff -- they're right up there with Irwin Mainway's classic toy for tots, "Bag of Glass Shards."

Truer words were never writ. Lunchables are of the devil. I was so proud when my son pointed to them in the grocery and asked how anyone could feed that to someone they loved. (Salt, fat and sugar should not be food groups in a kid's diet.)

Victoria Raschke, aka ms. victoria

Eat Your Heart Out: food memories, recipes, rants and reviews

McDonalds, KFC, Taco Bell, Burger King...et cetera. Truly noxious crap. Its a scary sight watching parents feed their children this sh%t!

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Boy, am I glad many of you posters don't rule the world. :biggrin:

I like a lot of that stuff.

And yes, I love to cook and go to fine restaurants.

Ban surimi? I have to eat lunch at the same cafeteria five days a week. The place is essentially on a two week menu cycle, and a lot of the offerings are not very good.

To stay sane, or as sane as I can be, I have to improvise with what is available.

Surimi, with mayo, tomatoes and onion slices in pita bread is not bad.

It is amazing how creative one can become with only cafeteria food, horseradish, hot sauce, mayo, ketchup and a few other condiments, and a microwave. But that, I guess, could be another thread.

Spam, particularly the low fat stuff, is pretty good.

Make kimchee and Spam, as the Korean's do, and you have some OK eating.

As for Vienna Sausages, don't like the stuff in the little cans very much. But so called Vienna beef is the main ingredient in a Chicago hot dog. And anyone who has not tasted one should plan a trip to the city, if for nothing else, the dogs.

And as for American cheese, take one of those sandwich making things, butter two pieces of bread, put them on the sandwich maker, put some American cheese on the inside, and put it over a gas stove for a few minutes. You have a pouch of nice gooey cheese in a pocket of toasted bread.

Great for a Sunday night in January, when you just want some comfy food.

Could go on, but this is getting a bit long.

• 8 years later...

Right on, Scotty! I'll fight for my right to eat Marmite/Vegemite, especially with sharp cheddar cheese.

However, something I think should be banned are premade Empanadas de Verde.

Never. Again.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I fight for my right to eat American cheese.

It's a childhood comfort food thing...

AMEN! I love American cheese on a burger. Seriously, I won't eat one without it--unless I'm in a restaurant which rarely occurs.

I love SPAM and corned pork (from Tulip, a brand from Holland).

For surimi, try separating the roll and break it up into smaller pieces, flatten them slightly and deep fry them. It makes a very addictive snack.

Go ahead and ban margarine.

Not sure if I missed these on earlier pages....

Pancake / Waffle / Biscuit mixes (wtf would anyone want to pay more for lower quality ingredients that have been simply mixed together... about 5% of the time spent making Pancakes etc.,)

Soda (arguably the primary cause of food related disease in the world, low quality / harmful ingredients, synthetic flavors... particularly now with the prevalance of inexpensive carbonation systems... how hard is it to make a freaking syrup?)

Sriracha (gawd awful, green garlic forward & filler ingredient sauce for people with no tastebuds!)

Flavored Jello, Canned Food... too sleepy to get to specifics now.. peace out.