• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why is the head of a Guiness white?

guajolote

• 1 month later...

That is why, when properly poured, a Guinness forms a perfect "Bishop's Collar" (the black robe with the neat white collar), which BTW, is one of my favorite neighborhood pubs in Philly. The Bishop's Collar- "Salvation by the Pint"!

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

I'm dyin' for a Guinness now.

Not tried the coin trick, but certain coins from around the world, are pretty darn light.

Now that you mention it, I'd think most coins with holes in the middle would stand a good chance of staying atop the head.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Has anyone heard the myth that you can float a coin on top of the head of a perfectly poured guiness? Any truth to this?

I'd gladly experiment if it weren't so difficult to find a perfectly poured pint of Guinness in NYC aside from at Paddy Reilly's. Where are the other perfect pints?

Has anyone had luck pouring a great pint from the nitro-charged cans?

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

I've heard Dublin House is one of the few places to have a Guinness.  Haven't been there in a while though.

Thanks, elyse. I'll try it next time I'm in the vicinity :smile:

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Has anyone heard the myth that you can float a coin on top of the head of a perfectly poured guiness? Any truth to this?

I'd gladly experiment if it weren't so difficult to find a perfectly poured pint of Guinness in NYC aside from at Paddy Reilly's. Where are the other perfect pints?

Has anyone had luck pouring a great pint from the nitro-charged cans?

What about Kinsale in the upper 90's. I remember them having one of the best pours in the city. This was about ten years ago, not sure if it is still around.