• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bratwurst

John

I love hot dogs. I've tried the many brands available in stores and delis as well as many (most?) of the hot dogs sold in hot dog restaurants. One of the places I order from via mail is Usinger's. With a reputation as one of the best sausage makers in America, they also make a great all beef frank (which is also a sausage).

When ordering from them, you have to purchase a minimum of 6 lbs of sausage. Some time back, I asked the woman taking my order to reccomend something good for me to try other than hot dogs. She suggested that I try their bratwurst. It is also considered one of the best, if not the best.

I tried it and liked it. I simmer them in water and then either pan fry or grill them. Great with spicy mustard and sauerkraut. I prefer the coarse grind pork and veal. I am fortunate to live near a number of German/Polish butchers who make bratwurst. I tried a number of them and they're all very good. One, Fritz's, in Union, is on a par with Usinger's. And another, the Union Pork Store is even better. In fact, my favorite bratwurst. I've tried quite a few delis and butchers along with store brands like Schaller & Weber and Dietz and Watson. But the Union Pork Store's brats are extraordinary. I heard of a guy who has lived in Germany and is somewhat of an expert on Bratwurst that drives a couple of hundred miles round trip from his home in Pennsylvania to Union to buy these brats for his parties. I e-mailed him, and he told me that he has tried brats from all over the country and in Germany and the ones from the Union Pork Store are the best. If you are ever in Union, I suggest you try some. I think I've discovered a real gem here.

John the hot dog guy

Hello John!

I have read your posts about hot dogs and have been most impressed by your knowledge!

I never thought it was possible for one human being to know that much about the humble wurst! :smile:

My personal favorite is a Best's all-beef kosher-style cooked up in a pan with butter, or on the grill...

I know of only one store in my area that specializes in sausages that I don't think you've mentioned - Kocher's Specialty Meats (formerly Kocher's Pork Store) in Ridgefield.

I only know that they make all their own stuff, and would be very interested to know what you think of their products.

The newly opened Nedick's in Penn Station (nyc) sells Usinger's bratwursts on poppy seed buns. There's no better consolation for missing a train and having to wait for the next one....The Nedick's is on the LIRR concourse, and the brats are worth the walk.

I've never tried their brats, but Piast Meats on River Dr in Garfield makes incredible pierogi. There is always a very long line for the homemade sausages and the like, so you might want to give them a try. And let me know.... Their clientele seems to be almost exclusively Polish if that matters.

Beachcove,

I haven't tried any products from Kocher's Specialty Meats. But if I'm ever up your way, I'll look for them. It seems that there's a lot of small butcher shops that make their own sausage. Most of it is quite good too. Although I like bratwurst, I don't travel all over seeking it out like I do hot dogs.

I love Best's hot dogs; especially those with the natural casing. A great beef dog with just the right amount of spices; flavorfull without being too salty or spicy. They also contain soy protein which aids in frying. Almost all the Italian Hot Dog joints use this brand. I asked some of the owners why they prefer it to Sabrett or Nathan's. I thought they might use it because the dog is from Newark where this type of sandwich originated. The guy at Jimmy Buff's near me said that Best's fries up better. This dog is so good that it's even ok boiled. I prefer grilled or fried usually. But Jerry's makes a good dog; a boiled Best dog finished off on a steel griddle for a minute or 2. I like the dog at Father & Son in Linden a little better. It is slow cooked for a long time on a griddle. From Grote & Weigle (all beef). An interesting experiment; I took 2 Best dogs and 2 from Grote & Weigle. One of each was boiled, then one of each was grilled (on the griddle). Both times I liked the Best dog a little more; but the Grote & Weigle dog that was grilled was better than the Best dog that was boiled. I believe that the cooking method is as important as the brand that you use. The finest all beef dogs in my opinion are Best, Grote & Weigle, Usinger's, and Sabrett (not necessarily in that order). I used to love Dietz and Watson (Black Bear) but now I don't enjoy them as much. Hummels from Conn. are excellent too.

John the hot dog guy

• 2 weeks later...

The Swiss Pork Store in the Radburn section of Fair Lawn has a wonderful selection and so does, and karl Ehmer's in Hillsdale! On line, germandeli.com for great selection and service!

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler