• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gastronomic day trips

Wilfrid

In anticipation of sunshine, why not share ideas for day trips with a food theme, accessible from the City. There's a grey area, because someone living in Manhattan might count a trip to the other end of Queens as a day trip, even though remaining within city limits - I mean, Brighton Beach and Coney Island are day trips for me. So interpret it freely. Obviously, I'm looking for tips for myself, but the thread doesn't have to be all about me.

Let's talk about seafood at City Island.

Let's talk about New Haven Italian.

Let's talk about what's good to eat among the Russian eateries of Brighton Beach.

Off you go.

All my food trips to Brighton Beach in the past combined disco lights,live organ music,and not too great food .And I don't drink vodka.The places on the boardwalk can be an interesting way to while away a sunny afternoon[Russian sushi?].

Danbury: lots of great immigration patterns happening there. It's been described as Jackson Heights with fresh air.

Just about the best Hungarian I've had, lots of Brazillian, and Mexican. And a big mall :biggrin:

Super Duper Weenie in Fairfield, CT. Sally's, Pepe's, Louis Lunch, and Mamoun's in New Haven, CT. Thali in New Canaan, CT. Carman's Country Kitchen in Philadelphia, PA, and quite a few other places in Philly. I won't touch NJ -- there are others who are far more qualified to tell you what's up with the hot dog and pizza scene, Trenton, Newark, and elsewhere. Also remember that restaurants aren't the only food experiences available outside the city. Markets like Foodmart International, Mitsuwa, Wegmans, etc., are all worthwhile destinations and can easily be combined with nearby restaurants.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Go where no gastronome has gone before.

Pick a direction, get off the interstates and parkways as soon as possible and make it a point to return by a different route than you departed on. Drive through the small towns, stop at the farm stands, roadside eateries and anything else of gastronimical interest, follow alluring road signs, and, most importantly, report back to eGullet with your discoveries.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Danbury: lots of great immigration patterns happening there. It's been described as Jackson Heights with fresh air.

Do you have any on-line references that discuss this in more detail? Not that I doubt you, but I used to live in Ridgefield (until 1985) and back then, Danbury was a total dump.

I live in the vicinity (but not the city) of Danbury, CT which I believe once carried the dubious distinction of being the #1 City in America, so not sure that it's a dump per se....

The Danbury region, including other towns in western Connecticut, have some great restaurants and fun dining options.... Goulash House, Ondine's (french), & JK's Texas Weiners (umm...weiners) are 3 good spots in Danbury, all quite different; The Sycamore in Bethel (Car Hop Diner), is a hoot, Philip's Diner in Woodbury (off I-84), has the BEST doughnuts (and I don't use that superlative hastily), Mona Lisa's (italian) and Sunderban (indian) in Newtown are quite good, for lunch (no dinner) there is Good Taste- a half mile off Exit 10-I84 in Newtown, they have VERY fresh and well prepared lunches and desserts, In New Fairfield, Portofino's has luscious Chicken Val and Sprinkles has excellent homemade ice cream.

Those are a few faves that come quickly to mind.

Wilfrid -

how about a trip to bobolink farm, jonathan white's agri-venture in vernon nj? it's about an hour plus 15 from the gwb.

your toddler could see real farm animals, beloved could taste artisanal cheese, and you could breathe sweet country air.

Paul

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Wilfrid -

how about a trip to bobolink farm, jonathan white's agri-venture in vernon nj? it's about an hour plus 15 from the gwb.

your toddler could see real farm animals, beloved could taste artisanal cheese, and you could breathe sweet country air.

Paul

Cheese

Xavier's in Piermont, just under the GWB not a bad joint. Wine list a bit limited, but of the couple few times I've eaten there the food was v. good twice. Best preceeded with a short walk on Bear Mountain and a stop in all of Nyack's used book shops.

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

The only thing under the big gray bridge is that little red lighthouse.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Do you have any on-line references that discuss this in more detail? Not that I doubt you, but I used to live in Ridgefield (until 1985) and back then, Danbury was a total dump.

Discuss the immigration or the fresh air?

Danbury is by no means *pretty* in a New England town kind of way, but definitely more grass, trees and stuff than JH.

Trish--Yes the Goulash House is the Hungarian I was referring to. Lots and lots of almost deli-like Brazillian places with stuff like feijoada on the steamtable. Authentic, throw in every part o' the pig feijoada!!

I had a memorable Mexican meal at a very unassuming taqueria. I think it was something simple like pollo en salsa verde but my god was it good.

Paul

Paul,

Where is bobolink farm? My kids live in Vernon so I'm familiar with the town, just haven't seen bobolink farm. Is it close to the NY Stateline?

Thanks Lou

If not City Island, are there other good destinations for seafood?  Or should I go back and find ahr's fried clam thread?

Someone we know likes a place in I think Coney Island that could be what you're looking for. She described it as "order a plate of oysters while waiting for the lobster to cook" type of place.

Someone we know likes a place in I think Coney Island that could be what you're looking for. She described it as "order a plate of oysters while waiting for the lobster to cook" type of place.

Sounds good. Any idea where?

swordfish chili and freshly grilled xxx at the fish farm up cranberry hill road in amagansett.

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

You could retrace the steps of the September 2002 DDC Rib Run through central Jersey. Three roadside rib joints in three hours. YIKES! I was comatose for two days afterward, but man was that fun! :blink:

The rib places are mostly in the Hammonton/Buena area so I'd guess it would be about an hour and forty five mnute hike from Gotham.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol