• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gastronomic day trips

Wilfrid

Wilfrid,

Also should mention, especially if you are bringing kids, Stew Leonard's Supermarkets (there is one somewhere in Westchester also), one in Norwalk (the original), and one in Danbury. The one in Danbury IMHO, is nicer... Stew's shameless promotion calls itself the Disneyland of Supermarkets and it lives up to that... petting zoo, ice cream cones, free samples, men in cow suits, animated singing thingies...

Its a large dairy store...so prices of yogurt, butter, milk etc...are very good buys.... other stuff can be expensive.... its a mixed bag... but say what you want pro or con.... (irony with the word "con," as Stew was indicted and jailed for tax evasion once)..its an experience! :raz:

New York magazine had suggestions, and this looked interesting. Any reactions?

North Fork wineries, with stop-offs for road food at John Rossi's Smokehouse in Southold and Salamder's (fried chicken) in Greenport. No details in the magazine about winery visits, but I suppose that information can be retrieved.

• 2 years later...

I can't believe all of the discussion about Danbury. I am a teacher at a private school located walking distance from that Fairgrounds Mall that everyone keeps talking about. I don't find Danbury to have that many options from a culinary standpoint, and it's not the prettiest area in New England for that matter. No offense, I think Candlewood like is just fine, but if you are looking for real New England charm, drive a little bit further North than the ol' "Hat City." As for restaurants in Danbury, I would suggest the Sesame Seed. Middle Eastern style and Medditeranean style cuisine at an extremely reasonable price. Nearby in South Salem, NY there is Le Chateau... the best chocolate souffle I've ever tasted. --- Oh, and New Haven is definately not a culinary wasteland. The pizza there kicks NYC pizza's ass! South Norwalk is not really worth a whole day trip from Manhattan, but if you're in the area, check out Relish. That is probably the best restaurant in South Norwalk.

-James Kessler

right. did this last week and had a blast. take the q train from the city to sheepshead bay (It's like a 5 min walk from the train) get on one of the fishing boats, I like going for fluke cause it's easy and fun and cheap- 27 bucks for grownups, cheaper for wigits. Anyhow, whatever you catch, they'll filet for you for a minimal tip..it's a really nice trip and the fish is quite tasty. Afterwards try to pop into randazzo's across the street for some clams and beer. It's a quaint and fun way to end the day.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.