• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gastronomic day trips

Wilfrid

how about a trip to bobolink farm, jonathan white's agri-venture in vernon nj? it's about an hour plus 15 from the gwb.

your toddler could see real farm animals, beloved could taste artisanal cheese, and you could breathe sweet country air.

Paul

Paul,

Where is bobolink farm? My kids live in Vernon so I'm familiar with the town, just haven't seen bobolink farm. Is it close to the NY Stateline?

Thanks Lou

Lou -

based on the description from the website, I'd say it's about five minutes north of Vernon, past the Mountain Creek property, just off NJ 94. Figure a minute south of the NY state border on the road to Warwick. There are several very nice farm stands in the immediate area. About forty minutes from Rockaway Mall area

I haven't yet visited the place, but will so within the next few weeks, I'm sure.

Paul

From NYC:

GW Bridge to Route 80 West to 23 North to 515 North.

In Vernon, 94N joins 515N. When 515N breaks to the left at Price's Switch Rd., stay on 94N, and make very next left onto DEKAY Road. Take DEKAY to end, turn right on MEADOW BURN Road. The farm is on the right

Cows Outside

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Discuss the immigration or the fresh air? 

Danbury is by no means *pretty* in a New England town kind of way, but definitely more grass, trees and stuff than JH.

The immigration - changing demographics, gentrification, what-have-you. If "dump" is too strong of a term, then how about "terminally moribund"? I lived in Ridgefield from birth through age 14 (left in 1985). Things were pretty dreary back then. Union Carbide moved in but everyone else moved out. I think one could count the decent restaurants on one hand, and they were Italian and Chinese places. The El Torito that was in Bethel was "exotic".

Hiya Z28,

I live in the Danbury region now.... Union Carbide is gone.... El Torito is gone.... (but there is a Chili's lol).... Danbury is a four letter word---and that word is CITY.... it is urban even though the Hospital is the only tall building, but it has a cool mall (if you like malls, which i don't, but que sera).... You don't go to Danbury for the trees even though there are a lot of them....

However, the Danbury region on a whole is BEAUTIFUL.... Candlewood Lake, the largest lake in CT, is bounded by 5 towns.... Danbury, New Fairfield, Sherman, New Milford and Brookfield... Squantz Pond State Park in New Fairfield --- a great spot to bring a picnic and eat at sunset (during the week its empty, but avoid Sundays its overcrowded)...

Sherman is extremely countryish and has a cool general store, and The American Pie Restaurant, which of course has good lunches and great pies....

I don't want to keep defending the area.... but calling it a dump just ain't right.... C'mon back for a visit sometime :smile: !

Another fun thing... At the Blue Colony Diner, right off Exit 10, I-84 in Newtown, they have a 10 inch apple turnover for $1.50. Grab one on the way to Vernon.

but it has a cool mall (if you like malls, which i don't, but que sera).... 

Another fun thing... At the Blue Colony Diner, right off Exit 10, I-84 in Newtown, they have a 10 inch apple turnover for $1.50.  Grab one on the way to Vernon.

Fairgrounds Mall at Danbury (the "Hat City" of the United States) is named for the county fair grounds which once occupied the site. Widely renowned into the 1970s, the Fall spectacular introduced many Nutmeggers to exotic foods, cotton candy, and other novelties.

Persons familiar with New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad trivia will recall Fair Grounds was the stop where the "NY brakeman" dropped off the eastbound Maybrook trains.

When I commuted up to Hartford, Blue Colony was a wonderful place for a burger, soda, and fluid adjustment break. Good food, great pies....

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

How about Norwalk CT ?! Meigas, the highest rated Spanish restaurant in CT (fka Meson Galicia) is top notch and in South Norwalk(SoNo) there is Match........great pizza, good bar scene.....the kitchen is run by a Todd English alumni.

Edited by jeffperez62 (log)

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

Take the Long Island Railroad to Rockville Center - about a 35-40 minute ride from NYC, (you can drive there easily too)

Walk or take a short taxi ride to Bigelow's Seafood Shack on Long Beach Road just off of Sunrise Highway.

GREAT Ipswich Belly Clams breaded and lightly fried. Last time I had them they were almost raw in the center, perfectly crisp and greaseless (they blot both the fries and seafood with real cotton kitchen towels- you can watch them!) DELICIOUS and market price I think we paid about $16 for a good sized portion with delicious shoestring fries. Paper plates, good cocktail and tartar sauce, yummy white clam chowder, all kinds of other seafood goodies (and a few chicken and beef things to satisfy the other person) It's a U shaped counter which seats about 20 odd guests. The cooking goes on in the middle, including the fresh battering of the seafood when you order.

And you can always take another taxi ride down the road a bit to Long Beach walk the board walk and eventually take the train home from there, or take a short ride a few towns over from Bigelows to Valley Stream for great homemade ice cream

Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com

www.cuisinetc.net

www.caterbuzz.com

One hour from Manhattan is Hunterdon County in NJ. You should drive to the westernmost side of the county, along the Delaware River, which was described by the NY Times as the most reminiscent part of France in the US. The Frenchtown Inn in Frenchtown, Meils in Stockton, Hamilton's Grill in Lambertville. On the return trip, cross the bridge in Lambertville or Stockton, and drive up Rt. 32 on the Pennsylvania side of the river. Glorious.

Persons familiar with New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad trivia will recall Fair Grounds was the stop where the "NY brakeman" dropped off the eastbound Maybrook trains.

When I commuted up to Hartford, Blue Colony was a wonderful place for a burger, soda, and fluid adjustment break. Good food, great pies....

Plus in Hartford you're not far from Mark Twain's house. Would have liked to have a meal there.

brakeman?

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

brakeman?

Until the 1980s, most railroads employed (male) persons who set the brakes on individual railcars to ease the descent on hills, etc. In early years, this person would walk along the tops of moving railcars to turn the brake wheel on each car in response to whistle signals.

Although technolgy and improvements in brakes later allowed brakes and retainers to be set remotely from the engine or caboose, the brakeman lasted into the 1990s on a few lines. The movie "Emperor of the North" shows the walkways atop cars of the 1930s.

NY required a "fifth brakeman" as part of its full crew laws into the 1950s, but CT did not. So, the extra brakeman would drop off at Fair Grounds, and work next train back into NY. With luck and seniority, you'd get 12 hours pay for 4 or 5 hours work.

rancho gordo

Yaohan supermarket :rolleyes: in Hoboken (is it still there?) I think there's a bus from Port Authority that goes straight there.

If you are really brave, try the bus from NYC Chinatown to Boston Chinatown in one day. There was a great little essay in the NY Times travel section on this particular route a few months back, darned if I can find it though.

Yaohan supermarket  :rolleyes: in Hoboken (is it still there?)  I think there's a bus from Port Authority that goes straight there.

If you are really brave, try the bus from NYC Chinatown to Boston Chinatown in one day. There was a great little essay in the NY Times travel section on this particular route a few months back, darned if I can find it though.

Yaohan is now called Mitsuwa. It's in Edgewater, NJ.

http://www.mitsuwa.com/

Last time I did the bus there which was several years ago, it was $2 each way I think. Very pretty drive along the Jersey coast :wink:

I've been to Hartford. Must be nearly ten years ago, and in the dead of winter.

This is a great thread. I am not participating much because I don't have many suggestions - why I asked. But I'm certainly getting good ideas, and I hope others are too.

Wilfred,

If you decide to visit Candlewood Lake...there is a restaurant on the lake on the Brookfield side called Down The Hatch... You can also get there by boat from the lake.... nice seafood and lake setting...

Fairgrounds Mall at Danbury (the "Hat City" of the United States) is named for the county fair grounds which once occupied the site. Widely renowned into the 1970s, the Fall spectacular introduced many Nutmeggers to exotic foods, cotton candy, and other novelties.

I am very familiar with the old Danbury Fair. I managed to browbeat my dad into taking me to the stock car races a few times, back when I was a wee one. I lived right off of Route 7, and fair traffic was a nightmare. On weekends, the traffic was backed up down towards Wilton, I distinctly remember driving south to Branchville, then up into the town center, then up 35 or some other back road, and then back south. That tended to dim the folks' enthusiasm for taking yrs. trly. to the Fair. In fact, they much preferred going to the Duchess County Fair in Rhinebeck, where I remember some truly excellent Manhattan clam chowder...

based on the description from the website, I'd say it's about five minutes north of Vernon,  past the Mountain Creek property,  just off NJ 94. Figure a minute south of the NY state border on the road to Warwick. There are several very nice farm stands in the immediate area.  About forty minutes from Rockaway Mall area

I haven't yet visited the place, but will so within the next few weeks, I'm sure.

Paul

From  NYC:

GW Bridge to Route 80 West to 23 North to 515 North.

In Vernon, 94N joins 515N.  When 515N breaks to the left at Price's Switch Rd., stay on 94N, and make very next left onto DEKAY Road.  Take DEKAY to end, turn right on MEADOW BURN Road. The farm is on the right

Cows Outside

Paul,

I'll call and find out if they're open Mon mornings.

I'll drop my kids at school and check it out

Lou

Fire Island is a great place to visit (weekdays or off season). Haven't eaten out there is YEARS, but it's a beautiful place for seafood in the sunset.

City Island sucks. DO NOT drive there on a weekend.

International Market is pretty cool. Is there any to get there from here publicly?

I've been wanting to go to Bobolink Farms for a while.

When the Blue Hill non-Manhattan venue becomes operational, that should be an outstanding day trip. In addition to the meal to be taken in, a tour of the greenhouses and other farming areas supporting the restaurant (if available) would be fulfilling.

As members may know, the facility will serve a number of purposes, including the promotion of worthwhile farming methods and certain educational purposes. :raz:

Wilfrid -- Pay attention, please; I've been in such shape for several days now. I just haven't been inclined to post until now... I was tempted to post on Blue Hill, of course :hmmm: As I have previously noted on another thread, Blue Hill appears at James Beard this Thursday. :laugh:

Edited by cabrales (log)

Unless I am incapacitated (by eating too much foie gras, of course -- Chinese dumplings are not my style, although certain other members may be described as overdosing on them) before Thursday evening or Friday morning, when I would expect to post about it. :wink:

Edited by cabrales (log)

No, I have not previously posted about it. :laugh: Also, what makes you believe that a restaurant is not involved? :wink: Gorgeous produce does not a meal make, without talented chefs like Dan and Mike. :smile:

As NYT reported earlier this month:

"DAVID ROCKEFELLER ... plan for a restaurant, organic farm and education center at the heart of the Rockefeller Preserve here ... the estimated $28 million construction and renovation costs for the Stone Barns property, where the restaurant, farm and education center will be housed. ... Stone Barns project ... will include a restaurant that will serve organic produce grown on the property year-round in greenhouses. Daniel and David Barber and David's wife, Laureen, who own the Blue Hill restaurant in Greenwich Village, will create the restaurant, which is to be called Blue Hill at Stone Barns. ... [T]he education center, which will focus on agriculture and the environment in the Hudson Valley. The educational component should open around October and the restaurant soon after that, Mr. Rockefeller said."

Edited by cabrales (log)