• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lobster

I would do three things

1) Steam a lobster and remove the flesh and serve Korma style with a sauce made from

I cup light cream

1 tsp sugar

1 cup ground almonds

1 tsp turmeric

1/2 - 1 pint boiling water

Mix the dry ingredients in a Jug then add the boiling water and allow to sit for five minutes to thcken as the almond oils come out

Saute the chunks of lobster meat with a chopped chillie in a little oil and then add the sauce and allow to thicken.

Before serving, squeeze lime over the top and mix in chopped cilantro

Serve back in the half shells a la thermidore

2) Serve the other one in the shell chopped into big pieces and cooked in a kharai or big pot in a sauce made from

1 tsp turmeric

1 tsp chillie powder

1 tsp ground ginger

1 tsp fenugreek

1tsp sugar

1 chopped onion

1 inch piece of chopped ginger

two chopped red chillis ( with seeds )

2 cloves garlic

Sweat the fresh ingredients and then add the spices for one minute to cook until they are no longer raw. Add 1 pint of water and cook for a further 20 mins to create a thickish suace. Add the lobster and stir around to coat well. Cover and cook for a further 5-10 mins until the lobster has cooked

3)for an appetizer, you can make a soup using the shells. i gave a recipe on the dinner thread for an amazing bengali fish soup using these

Hope this helps. Sorry aboutthe typing. in a rush

S

Edited by Simon Majumdar (log)

My favorite recipe for lobster used to be lobster cooked with Kokum.. if I can dig it up, I will post it. Very unique. I like the saag suggestion. my hubby is suggeting we do 3 0r 4 types of lobsters dishes and serve with steamed rice and naan.... sound tempting. My only fear is that I have steamed lobster at home.... I usually get it done at the grocers... maybe I will be brave enough to try it............ all I need I guess is a pot that is big enough :wink:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Tamarind would be wonderful

The coconut idea is also a good one.

How about cooking a southern india style dish using coconut milk and a little chilli?

S

Simon your suggestion is what most peopl that have loved lobster Indian style have enjoyed.

It is nice making them in a creamy sauce (kurma or makhani) or then the Southern Indian style of sauces.

Yours is what I have found most Indians and Non-Indians enjoying the most. You have a way with giving the best recipes. Thanks!

How about cooking a southern india style dish using coconut milk and a little chilli?

S

The most prelant use of lobster and crabs is in the Konkan region. They braise it in chilli & coconut masala. In mumbai to taste it try Trishna or Mahesh Lunch home.

anil

I asked them what they would like to try... answer "Lobster, Indian style". Okay now I am stumped.. any recipes? cooking insights? anything?

Help!!!!!

Lobster with fresh coconut base like Gassi or Thoren would be great. My preference would be Gassi.

P2

Prasad, I am doing a Gassi recipe for my new book, never thought of it with lobster.. sounds quite tempting. Maybe I can do four sections to the table and have it done by N W S E portions of India.... that would be quite unique dont you think?

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

S

The most prelant use of lobster and crabs is in the Konkan region. They braise it in chilli & coconut masala. In mumbai to taste it try Trishna or Mahesh Lunch home.

I have some Malvani Masala and some kholapuri masala... now I am thinking.. thanks. I loved the lobster at Mahesh, although my son was mad at me for eating Freddy the lobster .. think I might have traumatized him for life

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I asked them what they would like to try... answer "Lobster, Indian style". Okay now I am stumped.. any recipes? cooking insights? anything?

Help!!!!!

Lobster with fresh coconut base like Gassi or Thoren would be great. My preference would be Gassi.

P2

Prasad, I am doing a Gassi recipe for my new book, never thought of it with lobster.. sounds quite tempting. Maybe I can do four sections to the table and have it done by N W S E portions of India.... that would be quite unique dont you think?

As I have mentioned earlier my preference with crab or lobster or prawns. If we can lets share the Malwani Masa recipe with Gassi. I think this gassi's flavor is so unique, can have it all day with some sliced red onion on side.

Any day NWSE sounds very tempting.

Looking forward for Malwani Masa ! I have tried it, thought the punch is missing, may be you can help me fill it. Thanks

As Simon said about South Indian Style, Coconut and chilli is Gassi and as Monica you said Kokum or tamarind can be like Thoren.

P2

• 2 weeks later...
I would do three things

1) Steam a lobster and remove the flesh and serve Korma style with a sauce made from

I cup light cream

1 tsp sugar

1 cup ground almonds

1 tsp turmeric

1/2 - 1 pint boiling water

Mix the dry ingredients in a Jug then add the boiling water and allow to sit for five minutes to thcken as the almond oils come out

Saute the chunks of lobster meat with a chopped chillie in a little oil and then add the sauce and allow to thicken.

Before serving, squeeze lime over the top and mix in chopped cilantro

Serve back in the half shells a la thermidore

2) Serve the other one in the shell chopped into big pieces and cooked in a kharai or big pot in a sauce made from

1 tsp turmeric

1 tsp chillie powder

1 tsp ground ginger

1 tsp fenugreek

1tsp sugar

1 chopped onion

1 inch piece of chopped ginger

two chopped red chillis ( with seeds )

2 cloves garlic

Sweat the fresh ingredients and then add the spices for one minute to cook until they are no longer raw.  Add 1 pint of water and cook for a further 20 mins to create a thickish suace.  Add the lobster and stir around to coat well.  Cover and cook for a further 5-10 mins until the lobster has cooked

3)for an appetizer, you can make a soup using the shells.  i gave a recipe on the dinner thread for an amazing bengali fish soup using these

Hope this helps.  Sorry aboutthe typing.  in a rush

S

Simon, have you names for these recipes? I shall post them in the archive. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

indiachef Posted on Apr 10 2003, 07:10 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lobster Peri Peri!!

Diced lobster meat in a thick Makhni sauce, flavored with crushed black cardamom served in its own shell, grilled for a minute with some cheddar!!

Indiachef, you might want to call it something else

peri peri or piri piri are very hot little peppers from portugal. The portugese make a hot sauce from these peppers similar to tobasco( mohlo de piri piri ) which they will use on practically anything, they will sometimes also use these hot piri piri sauces for dipping eg steamed shrimp, or use them to grill chicken etc.

The portugese have left their hot imprint whereever they went.

There are numerous Goan piri piri dishes

and in South Africa and Zimbawbe I came accross Nandos a fast food chain selling hot peri peri sauces besides grilled chicken basted with these sauces.

Also the makhani sauce is tradionally flavored with green cardamon and cloves besides dried methi and garam massalla, would you replace all these with crushed black cardamon or would black cardamon be in addition.

the cheesey touch tastes good!

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

Indiachef, you might want to call it something else

:huh:

Call something else what?

I thought I mentioned two separate Lobster preparations!

Lobster Peri Peri is a classic Goan delicacy, made with red masala paste.

The makhni sauce in the other one should have read crushed black pepper in place of crushed black cardamom. Gee I cannot imagine a Makhni with black cardamom.

:cool: