• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Food-Packaging Innovations

Fat Guy

I wonder if this topic is broad enough to include the dramatic improvement, over the past decade or so, in all paper products that come in a roll. All of a sudden, one day, it became much easier to get the first sheet off a roll of paper towels, toilet paper, etc. Do they have a Nobel Prize for that?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I wonder if this topic is broad enough to include the dramatic improvement, over the past decade or so, in all paper products that come in a roll. All of a sudden, one day, it became much easier to get the first sheet off a roll of paper towels, toilet paper, etc. Do they have a Nobel Prize for that?

I actually had to draft a patent application during a summer clerkship regarding a novel device that puts toilet paper on the cardboard tubes.

Now, why didn't I go into patent law?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I forgot about these:

Here's some food related one:

PHYSICS

Arnd Leike of the University of Munich, for demonstrating that beer froth obeys the mathematical Law of Exponential Decay. [REFERENCE: "Demonstration of the Exponential Decay Law Using Beer Froth," Arnd Leike, European Journal of Physics, vol. 23, January 2002, pp. 21-26.]

MEDICINE

Peter Barss of McGill University, for his impactful medical report "Injuries Due to Falling Coconuts." [PUBLISHED IN: The Journal of Trauma, vol. 21, no. 11, 1984, pp. 990-1.]

BIOLOGY

Buck Weimer of Pueblo, Colorado for inventing Under-Ease, airtight underwear with a replaceable charcoal filter that removes bad-smelling gases before they escape.

PUBLIC HEALTH

Chittaranjan Andrade and B.S. Srihari of the National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences, Bangalore, India, for their probing medical discovery that nose picking is a common activity among adolescents. [REFERENCE: "A Preliminary Survey of Rhinotillexomania in an Adolescent Sample," Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 62, no. 6, June 2001, pp. 426-31.]

SOCIOLOGY

Steve Penfold, of York University in Toronto, for doing his PhD thesis on the sociology of Canadian donut shops.

BIOLOGY

Dr. Paul Bosland, director of The Chile Pepper Institute, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, New Mexico, for breeding a spiceless jalapeno chile pepper.

BIOLOGY

Dr. Paul Bosland, director of The Chile Pepper Institute, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, New Mexico, for breeding a spiceless jalapeno chile pepper.

He gets a prize for that? He should be summarilly executed.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Also the kitchen rolls with more frequent perforations, so you choose a smaller sheet. For those little jobs. :wub:

BIOLOGY

He gets a prize for that? He should be summarilly executed.

That's the whole point, they give them out for worthless research.

Worthless? I read an article about this some years ago and the holder of a patent to such a chile stands to make millions in the food industry for being able to supply cheap jalapeno flavor to prepared foods without the heat.

What many chileheads worry about is that the genes expressing this trait may be incorporated into standard breed chiles rendering them... um... impotent. :shock:

Edited by =Mark (log)

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

A bit of a tangent, but i love the story about the company switching to popcorn to pack its electrical goods for shipping, instead of the polysterine chips.Bio degradable and cheaper..Good Work Fella!

I remember there used to be this packing material that was essentially cheesy puffs without the cheese. You'd open up this big box of computer equipment and you'd smell this corn flavor. It was edible, but not particularly tasty.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

A bit of a tangent, but i love the story about the company switching to popcorn to pack its electrical goods for shipping, instead of the polysterine chips.Bio degradable and cheaper..Good Work Fella!

I remember there used to be this packing material that was essentially cheesy puffs without the cheese. You'd open up this big box of computer equipment and you'd smell this corn flavor. It was edible, but not particularly tasty.

These are made out of corn starch. My daughter got a toy that was a bucnh of these, all different colors. You could "glue" them together by licking the ends and pressing.

I don't know if it's a packaging or product change but chips (besides Pringles) are now being packed in cans or containers that look like cans. What's the deal with that? Is it just so they don't get crushed or is there something different in there? It seems like a waste of packaging to me.

The Kraft RAnch dressing that has a wide lid, and stores inverted..like the newer toothpaste tubes? My son eats baby carrots and radishes like they are going out of style since they invented this bottle.

It is such a simple yet helpful idea I can not understand why no company marketed it sooner.

A lot of this stuff had to wait for advances in plastic technology, although probably not the upside down bottles.