• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Velveting"

IrishCream

Since I just read about this (new to me) process in Grace Young's "Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge", here's a short run down of what she says:

..typically accomplished by briefly marinating bite sized pieces of beef (etc) in a standard combination of egg white, cornstarch, and a little water or rice wine. The marinated morsels are then blanched in oil or water and thoroughly drained in a collander before bein stir-fried.

She says the blanching can be skipped, but the results won't be nearly as velvety. Aside of maybe rice vinegar, no flavorings are added to the marinade, and it adds no taste to the finished food, just covers and protects.

She also mentions two variations, one where a whole egg is in the marinade, with sometimes some rice wine, the other has no egg at all.

A detailed description follows, too long to quote, but if you have access to the book, it's on page 101.

She says it's usually something that's more often done in restaurants than at home, but I'm intrigued and will give it a shot on my new outdoor wok burner one of these days.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog