• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Cheesecake Factory Phenomenon

dbrociner

Olive Garden always reminds me of a gentleman I who used to work with.  When we'd meet for lunch, it was always at the Olive Garden...and he would always say:

"I've traveled all over Italy (only he pronounced it as it-lee) and I tell you, nothing I ate was as good as the Olive Garden"  :laugh:

From then on I tried to schedule any meetings we had in the morning or late afternoon.

Maybe when this guy was in It-lee he only ate at the airport cafe, although some of those are better than the Olive Garden as well!!

(He probably LOVES Red Lobster!)

Never ate at Olive Garden or Red Lobster, but I do like the Cheesecake Factory and Outback. ;) Guess I'm not a "food snob!" LOL

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

Olive Garden always reminds me of a gentleman I who used to work with.  When we'd meet for lunch, it was always at the Olive Garden...and he would always say:

"I've traveled all over Italy (only he pronounced it as it-lee) and I tell you, nothing I ate was as good as the Olive Garden"  :laugh:

I bet this guy was Tim Zagat in disguise. :biggrin:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

"I've traveled all over Italy (only he pronounced it as it-lee) and I tell you, nothing I ate was as good as the Olive Garden" :laugh:

I bet this guy was Tim Zagat in disguise. :biggrin:

The Olive Garden's new commercial features an older, Italian gentleman who has just achieved US citizenship.

His family takes him to The Olive Garden for a celebration. He sees the food. Tears fill his eyes, flags wave...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Rosie on another thread reminded of another of these chain resto phenomena, the Joe's American Grill/Paparazzi siamese-twin combination. Like Charlie Browns, these are basically diners with a little nicer lighting.

If you're a chocolate lover, the CF now has a special Godiva cheesecake. My friend from Chicago had been raving about it for a while, and when she was here in FL this weekend we both ordered it at the Las Olas branch. Very chocolately yet not too heavy.

Neil

Author of the Mahu series of mystery novels set in Hawaii.

Humorous exchange on last night's episode of "The Bachelor" (okay, so I'm a peasant). Lovely and petite Amber, who has been skating by on her looks her whole life, asks the Bachelor, "What's your favorite restaurant [looong pause] . . . chain?" He is slightly taken aback, and Amber volunteers that her favorite is Olive Garden. When he replies that he doesn't like Olive Garden (bye-bye, ad revenue!!), Amber assumes that he doesn't like Italian food at all. He then assures her that he does indeed like Italian food, but not Olive Garden. She looks confused; this concept has never occurred to her before.

She got booted off, which is too bad because she was entertaining. She got really drunk and threw up last week.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.