• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Cheesecake Factory Phenomenon

dbrociner

Everyone's taste is different but I've discovered that any number of folks I now (mostly coworkers and no... they're not from the NYC area) like predictability and large portions. In some cases they recognize that it won't be as good as what they can get in a "fine" restaurant but they can go in and order a dish they've had before and be reasonably well assured of what they'll get, most likely due to the formulaic methods of preparation.

My experience in quizzing people about their Cheesecake Factory experience/opinions has been similar to the responses I get when asking about why they like Outback Steakhouse.

Me: So.... how's the food there?

Them: The portions are huge!

Me: No.... I said hows the food?

Them: The menu is huge! There's so much to choose from!

Me: No.... I mean what is the QUALITY of the food?

Them: Oh.... it's "okay".

Most peculiar to me is the fact that their cheesecake is mediocre. I was in Baltimore several months ago on business and had dinner in their Little Italy. Spotted a Cheesecake Factory across from the hotel and decided to get a slice to take up to the room and enjoy with a movie. It was about $7 as I recall and although not terrible it was nothing special - very average.

Speaking of chains.... there's a small regional chain in the Southwest and Midwest called Stir Crazy. They fit in the Cheescake factory / Rainforest Cafe mold in the sense that they are typically large and located in or adjacent to large shopping areas. I was in the Chicago suburbs last week on business and it was the only interesting looking choice available at lunchtime.

Their mainstay attraction is a "build-your-own" stir fry akin to what one does at a Mongolian BBQ. I don't care for the Mongolian BBQ places (like the concept but have never had a really good meal there). They do have a regular menu of a la carte items and draw from Chinese, Vietnamese and Thai recipes. I had a more than passable Pad Thai with chicken, we shared a dish of sweet and spicy chicken wings (way better than average) and also shared an Imperial Roll appetizer (fried spring roll sort of dish that was very good - not at all oily and tasted fresh). Even better was my Thai iced coffee - very large and easily the best one I've ever had. The decor was pleasing in an Eastern/Zen/Modern sort of way and the staff was young and unsophisticated but friendly and efficient (admittedly it was not busy when we were there). Based on my one experience, I can easily pronounce this as the best chain restaurant I've eaten in (not counting Ruth;s Chris but I'm not crazy about them and it would an apples vs. oranges comparison anyway).

Stir Crazy is opening a location in April in the Palisades Center mall in Nyack - if you're stuck up that way shopping it may be worth checking out. I can do better by visiting independent Asian restaurants but for atmosphere, convenience and a menu that will have something for nearly everyone in a large group - not a bad choice if you're already at the mall.

Edited by phaelon56 (log)

Yes, it baffles the mind.... I pass 2 Charlie Browns, always a line, Red Lobster is always packed, people think Legal Seafoods is the "best" ever...

Legal Seafood is an exception to the chain rule, in my opinion. If you want really good fried clams, short of going up to New England, thats the only place I'd reccomend. At least in Northern New Jersey.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

i agree with jason. LS has some damned good oysters, and a good selection ta boot. additionally, their wine list has a lot of perfect matches for food like this. better than any other chain, or at the very least, a better selection than the chains mentioned in this thread so far.

i agree with jason.  LS has some damned good oysters, and a good selection ta boot.  additionally, their wine list has a lot of perfect matches for food like this.  better than any other chain, or at the very least, a better selection than the chains mentioned in this thread so far.

You're right about the wine list at Legal - and they don't price them outrageously either.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Stir Crazy is opening a location in April in the Palisades Center mall in Nyack - if you're stuck up that way shopping it may be worth checking out.

I reviewed Stir Crazy at the Palisades Mall Here:

http://forums.egullet.org/show.php/act/ST/f/4/t/12047

Chains SUCK! That said, I have been known to stop at a McD's on a road trip.

Unfortunately, when recently in Salt Lake City, we stopped at a Melting Pot- for fondue.

Each table has a built in fondue pot kind of double boiler on the table. It was awlful fake fondue and the server couldn't pronouce gruyere. Funnier we couldn't taste any gruyere.

Based in Florida. If it comes to Riverside Square- stay away.

BTW the place was filled with the clueless diners.

There is a Stir Crazy in the Town Center Mall in Boca Raton, FL - and I have been there many times and really enjoy it.

I typically order the Crazy Chow Fun - It's a large portion of flat noodles in a black oyster sauce with some veggies and I like the taste. Round that out with a glass of ice tea (I think it's peach) and I am happy. I think this is more of an enjoyable lunch place if you are at the mall with your girlfriend or significant other. I wouldn't go there with a large group or for dinner on a Saturday night.

Off topic, last night I went to Houston's in the Hackensack mall (where there is a Cheescake Factory) with my brother. We got there at roughly 7:00 and was told an hour and a quarter wait. We then walked around the mall and came back and found the line and people hanging out in the bar area to be packed. We finially got our 2 top table which was against the glass window behind the bar area. We felt like we were on display, but after a hour wait and it was 8:00 PM we were hungry and it wasn't too annoying. As there was lots of cute women around! Speaking of that my brother said "this croud is pretty pretentious isn't it?" It's cool when you can make jokes like that.

So anyhow we both had Caesar Salads and he ordered a fish dinner and I had my usual hickory burger. The service was good and the food was the standard that you get each time. I like the skinny fries you get with the burger. Total tab was $42.00 bux. Salads were $4 each, my burger was $9 and his was around $13 and we had some ice tea.

Nothing special but you know what you are going to get, and the scenery ain't so bad!

I can do better by visiting independent Asian restaurants but for atmosphere, convenience and a menu that will have something for nearly everyone in a large group - not a bad choice if you're already at the mall.

This place sounds a lot like PF Chang's, another Asian-style chain. Their food is good, but not exciting - it's an acceptable meal after a day of Christmas shopping.

And I agree, the most baffling thing about the Cheesecake Factory is the lousy cheescake. I've been dragged there several times and every flavor I've tried has been a disappointment.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

i agree with jason.  LS has some damned good oysters, and a good selection ta boot.  additionally, their wine list has a lot of perfect matches for food like this.  better than any other chain, or at the very least, a better selection than the chains mentioned in this thread so far.

LS has a damn good clam roll, decent oysters, good wine selections, and a very good children's menu. They aren't at their best when they try to get fancy, but you can't usually go wrong with their fried seafood.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Yes, the success of these mediocre chains is quite a phenomenon-- I guess my tastes of smaller portions of complex, flavorful food is contrary to the American taste. The Red Lobster lines are particularly perplexing-- I ate there 5 years ago because a friend insisted and it was one of the most awful experiences ever.

Fried clams to me are a "snack" or bar food, some great ones at the stands down on the shore-- (Howard Johnsons, where are you?) As far as serious seafood, I always go to Original Oyster in Highlands-- Astoundingly, only a couple of dollars more for a meal here than in Legal Seafoods-- and you get real tablecloths and wonderfully prepared seafood, less noise, and no lines!!

Edited by menton1 (log)

I'm a newbie on these boards. I'm glad they don't have a Cheesecake Factory around here (South Jersey). My boyfriend would probably drive me nuts until I caved in. Probably because I don't make (the best) cheesecake for him anymore since I've been on Weight Watchers. My days of waiting to get into anyplace are over. Remember when the Outback first opened? And people waited "173 minutes" to get seated? What a dump!

I too (obviously) dislike chains. We took my daughter to PF Chang's for her 14th birthday, which was September 11, of all days. We did promise her a birthday dinner and we were able to switch gears and go to a worship service later on. Well, I wasn't overly impressed with the food and I thought the "audience" were a bunch of simpering snobs. Places like this try to be something they're not, in my opinion.

I've been to P.F. Chang's three times. Twice in Boston and once in Littleton, CO. As far as chain restaurants go, I thought the food was decent enough. Not the sort of place at which I'd want to become a regular, but good for dealing with those "Why can't we just go to Houlihan's, Chili's, or Friday's?" sorts of crowds. And actually, the second visit in Boston was just because of an eggplant dish that my friend particularly liked and wanted to have again.

Of course, in a perfect world, I wouldn't meet anyone who was scared of eating at unfamiliar non-chain restaurants. :wink:

Yes, the success of these mediocre chains is quite a phenomenon--  I guess my tastes of smaller portions of complex, flavorful food is contrary to the American taste.  The Red Lobster lines are particularly perplexing-- I ate there 5 years ago because a friend insisted and it was one of the most awful experiences ever. 

Fried clams to me are a "snack" or bar food, some great ones at the stands down on the shore-- (Howard Johnsons, where are you?)  As far as serious seafood, I always go to Original Oyster in Highlands--  Astoundingly, only a couple of dollars more for a meal here than in Legal Seafoods-- and you get real tablecloths and wonderfully prepared seafood, less noise, and no lines!!

If lemmings didn't exist, we would have invented them.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

My days of waiting to get into anyplace are over. Remember when the Outback first opened? And people waited "173 minutes" to get seated? What a dump!

Well, at the Outback located at the intersection of Routes 9 & 34 in Old Bridge, which has been open for a number of years, that continues to be the case. This particular Outback is in a stand alone building with a large porch. (It used to be Clare & Coby's, a very popular restaurant until the owners decided to retire and sold the property -- for a pretty penny, I suspect.) In good weather, it's always jammed with those waiting for their tables.

Like you, I've permanently scrapped waiting to get into restaurants. No place is so terrific that it's worth a long wait, and those that are special usually take reservations.

(It used to be Clare & Coby's, a very popular restaurant until the owners decided to retire and sold the property -- for a pretty penny, I suspect.)

oh my god, i totally forgot about this place. is this the place that was in a big old farmhouse of sorts??

(It used to be Clare & Coby's, a very popular restaurant until the owners decided to retire and sold the property -- for a pretty penny, I suspect.)

oh my god, i totally forgot about this place. is this the place that was in a big old farmhouse of sorts??

Tommy, I never thought of describing it as a farmhouse, though that might be a good way to describe it. So, yes, that's the one. Did you ever eat there?

Tommy, I never thought of describing it as a farmhouse, though that might be a good way to describe it. So, yes, that's the one. Did you ever eat there?

You're talking 'bout my hood!!!

Clare & Coby's was definitely not a farmhouse sort of building. Outback left the original building facade intact, but redid the interior to conform to a standard Outback lookalike.

Directly across the other side of Rte 9 from Outback is Laura's Pancake House. Owners tried to sell a few years ago at the time that the new Loews and Ruby Tuesday were going in. Guess they didn't get their price, because they are still there. I used to go there on my kid's first day of school with the other celebrating Moms. It's been a few years since I've been there last. I think, though, that they are still pretty much the same. Blah breakfast food.

Me:      So....  how's the food there?

Them:  The portions are huge!

Me:      No....  I said hows the food?

Them:  The menu is huge! There's so much to choose from!

Me:      No....  I mean what is the QUALITY of the food?

Them:  Oh....  it's "okay".

"The food was TERRIBLE!!!"

"Yes, and such small portions!"

--from Annie Hall

Edited by Deacon (log)

Lamb, You definitely have the right place, of course. As I said, while I never thought of describing it as a "farmhouse," the interior of Clare & Coby's was rather rustic with wood paneling, tables with captain's chairs, etc.

Tommy, it did have several room, one of which contained a bar, though the main dining area was rather large. So, you still might be thinking of the same place.

rozrapp, it was "rustic".  i guess that's why i thought "farmhouse."  this is back when i was in college, so clearly my memory is spotty.  i'm guessing 88 or so.  was it there then?

Tommy,

The first time I came to this area of NJ was in 1967. My husband (then my fiance) was already living here, his family having moved from Brooklyn to Matawan a couple of years before. He took me to Clare &Coby's for dinner. How long it had been in business at that point, I have no idea.

My guess is that, if not for the fact that the owners decided to retire (and/or, given the prime location, Outback probably made them an offer that they couldn't possibly refuse), it would still be going strong. There are several other restaurants in this vicinity that have very long track records -- dating back to at least the 1960's -- which are still with us despite serving mediocre to bad food. I wouldn't put C&C's in that category since the food was always quite decent. I'm thinking Buttonwood Manor and the Don Quixote Inn, both in Matawan; Van's in Freehold; and the Colts Neck Inn. Not one is a place that I would ever willingly consider going to now. (I recently had to attend a baby shower at the Don Quixote, and the food was at the top of the gag meter!) The only been-here-forever restaurant that has finally decided that serving delicious food is a good idea is the Lincroft Inn. But, there are, obviously, enough people who patronize those other places, so on they go.

Edited by rozrapp (log)

Olive Garden always reminds me of a gentleman I who used to work with. When we'd meet for lunch, it was always at the Olive Garden...and he would always say:

"I've traveled all over Italy (only he pronounced it as it-lee) and I tell you, nothing I ate was as good as the Olive Garden" :laugh:

From then on I tried to schedule any meetings we had in the morning or late afternoon.

Challah back!