• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Four New Shows on the Food Network

Stone

I just scanned the Food TV website to look at the blurbs about the new show offerings. They all seem pretty bad.

To add to the list of quality programming on the network however, is 'Good Eats'. This show combines an interesting take on food with excellent entertainment value. I think it's one of the best programs on any network.

-Eric

I applaud the Food Network for wanting to bring in new things. I just wish they would be creative, original and give us something to chew on. Forego the Bachelor ripoffs and focus on quality and interesting cooking/food concepts.

I am a fan of Iron Chef-- talk about high concepts. It was originally panned by the critics when it was first served up.... but viewers savored it... Television can be so enjoyable and entertaining.... but garbage is garbage no matter how it's plated. :sad:

Thanks to FG on a thread about velveting, I stumbled across this, concerning food TV programming. I must put myself in EJR's camp. I enjoy Good Eats so much that I tape it so I can watch at my leisure. The rest leaves me pretty cold. PBS has more interesting fare.

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

... and something called Paula's Home Cooking.  Who the heck is Paula?

Paula is Paula Deen. She's a fat southern woman with wild hair who uses more butter than the two fat ladies combined. All of her food is deep fried to a crisp, and her medicated-southern excitement is frightening. No matter what anyone says about any of the other Food TV cooking shows (as opposed to the travel/unwrapped variety), rest assured that Ms. Deen's program is the absolute worst the network has to offer.

-Eric

My gross-out moment from Paula's Home Cooking was when she made the moon pies. The "cream" filling was shortening and icing sugar. Yuck! There was also some other quick dessert that was soda crackers sprinkled with chocolate chips, put in the oven and the melted chocolate was spread out over the crackers. First and last episode for me. But I suppose there are people out there who like that sort of stuff.

Boy Meets Grill(off-shoot of Bobby Flay's recent book) & Food Fight.

Oi...

Ok... How about this.... Since imitation and copying are the only lingo spoken...

-Copy A & E Biography and do segments on great chefs

-Copy American Idol and seek out great original and exciting recipes from unknown chef wannabes or amateur cooks

-Copy your own success stories and find good chefs with talent a/k/a Mario, Alton, Jacques, etc...

-Bring back 2 Hot Tamales...

I applaud the Food Network for wanting to bring in new things.  I just wish they would be creative, original and give us something to chew on.    Forego the Bachelor ripoffs and focus on quality and interesting cooking/food concepts. 

I am a fan of Iron Chef-- talk about high concepts.  It was originally panned by the critics when it was first served up....  but viewers savored it...    Television can be so enjoyable and entertaining....  but garbage is garbage no matter how it's plated.  :sad:

Even cynical old me is all for new shows. I'd love to see a show like Great Chefs/Great Cities with a contemporary feel. I mean come on, most of the chefs they showcased on GC/GC were moderately talented copper pot show-offs with very little to interest modern cooks. I do remember seeing Roger Verge and my old chef Jose Gutierrez but most of those chefs were has beens who thought the squeeze bottle/tuile for height/bullshit terrine architectural trend was the shiznit. I don't want to see some nobody from St. Croix preparing Mahi-Mahi with Mango Salsa for Christ sakes. I want to see Keller working through a stuffed pig's head, or Adria pumping smoked air into a canister. Can't they do at least ONE show for chefs. It is the FOOD NETWORK after all. Maybe this Reality with Rocco stunt will pay off. But it sounds like a homogenized ploy to N'SYNC the food world. Ok, liken it to this....The Weather Channel is a channel about weather right? How would you shlockers feel if they started buying into the whole pop culture thing and created shows centered around the genetalia of their anchors? How about the Weather Dating Game? Stupid right?

-Copy American Idol and seek out great original and exciting recipes from unknown chef wannabes or amateur cooks

That's an IDEA.

Who would comprise the judging panel?

Noise is music. All else is food.

Spencer,

Re: Weather Dating Game... Actually the weather channel is getting a spin off channel...I think all about tornadoes... I'm not kidding...

Re: Who would judge the next American Chef Idol...?

Hmm...

Paula Abdul... Rachel Ray

Randy Jackson... Steven Shaw

Simon Cowell... Mr. A. Bourdain

Spencer,

Re: Weather Dating Game...  Actually the weather channel is getting a spin off channel...I think all about tornadoes...  I'm not kidding...

Re: Who would judge the next American Chef Idol...?

Hmm...

Paula Abdul...  Rachel Ray

Randy Jackson... Steven Shaw

Simon Cowell...  Mr. A. Bourdain

The Tornado Dating Game...I like the ring of it.

I think the Food Network actually was ahead of the game here. They used to have Ready Set Cook. Another cooking equivalent to American Idol is the much more classy Masterchef competition (obviously not on Food Network).

I think the Food Network actually was ahead of the game here. They used to have Ready Set Cook. Another cooking equivalent to American Idol is the much more classy Masterchef competition (obviously not on Food Network).

Yeah, but that goofy ass Ainsley Harriot ruined it. Need someone with an edge....

I agree about Good Eats - Thanks to Tivo I can watch it at my leisure. I do the same with America's Test Kitchen on PBS. They both go into enough detail that you can actually learn something.

And no BAM's or ten best places to get Salt Water Taffy.

Bill Russell

The problem with Ready, Set, Cook was that it was depressing to watch talented chefs make disgusting food.

It WAS fun to watch these pretty boy chefs freaking out trying to beat the clock though. On more than one occasion I guffawed at the piss poor treatment the underlings received. "NOOOO. Don't put that soy sauce in the Gran Marnier Parfait you monkey." It was like a Wayne's World basement version of Iron Chef. Never saw a dish that would turn my head however...What was that chicks name that hosted?

What was that chicks name that hosted?

Some silly name like Sissy Biggers?

yeah. she was sure perky. but she's sure no paige davis. :wub:

spencer, who would want to be jacqui?!? her job was to be abused and ignored by booby flay. i couldn't watch the show as i felt so bad for her. :sad:

Edited by tommy (log)

OK...now I know who some of you guys think are the hotties.... I think Jacques Torres is incredibly sexy.....and the fact he specializes in chocolate...how much can a woman take...

Jacques was a lot better looking when he wasn't trying to squeeze into sportwear that's two sizes too small. He's put on a few pounds since the days of Le Cirque...Great chocolatier though..

What was that chicks name that hosted?

Some silly name like Sissy Biggers?

yeah. she was sure perky. but she's sure no paige davis. :wub:

spencer, who would want to be jacqui?!? her job was to be abused and ignored by booby flay. i couldn't watch the show as i felt so bad for her. :sad:

Some people long to be people that suck--it's that simple. Maybe Sissy longs to have her nose pushed in doo doo.