• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Four New Shows on the Food Network

Stone

Date Plate or "The Culinary Melrose Place" is the crux of the issue for me. You got the pastel sets,, the airhead/model/expensive water gugglin' yupsters, and the bonerific, snotty big gunned actress wannabe sitting there like talking about her dislikes like some Sultana of Brunei...Then you take a chef, maybe an unknown guy that needs some good exposure, and ruin any chances he's got at respectability by making him dance around like a constipated white kid while stirring his sauteed plantains. They constantly purchase ingredients that turn their siren off, never getting her likes before hand--which would make more sense to me--... It's embarassing to me that TFN thinks we need a culinary 5th Wheel/Blind Date/Change of Heart. The show is poorly produced and feels as awkward as taking a bath with your grandmother. Where are the hungover trolls trying to massage the best they can out of a Johnsonville Brat and a pack of Wonder Buns.

Edited by Chef/Writer Spencer (log)

Maybe there's hope.  But I'm not counting on it...Sandra Pinckney's on talking like a white girl about hot sauce.  I'm sure patty shoe ain't far behind.

Sandra Pinckney is white, C/W, just like Bobby Rivers. What's wrong wit 'choo??!?

Sandra also sez "chih-pole-tay" chile -- but then, she's not alone.

Gotcha Xan. They've been fist dunked into the racial sterilizing tank along with their broadcasting cross-profession magnate Al "couldn't possibly be related to Roxy" Roker. I think somebody at the network watched The Stepford Wives too many times.

Don't get me started on Al, C/W; he has legions of fans, I know, but I simply do not "get" him!! I want S-O-U-L, not Barry Manilow!!!!

As to "Lighten Up," the atrocity that is "Date Plate," "Food Fight" . . . words fail me.

what's this big obsession with how "black" some of the foodtv "talent" is or isn't? no doubt, they are plenty black enough, when not getting buzzed into stores, being arbitrarily stopped by the police or just generally discriminated against in this world. maybe "talking black" doesn't get you a job on foodtv? :wink:

what's this big obsession with how "black" some of the foodtv "talent" is or isn't? no doubt, they are plenty black enough, when not getting buzzed into stores, being arbitrarily stopped by the police or just generally discriminated against in this world. maybe "talking black" doesn't get you a job on foodtv? :wink:

no obsession here...in fact, what the....

Hhhhhmmmm. No obsession indeed.

Don't taint this thread into how a "black" was "buzzed" into a retail store or arbitrarily stopped by police. That is NOT what it is about.

Sorry luv, but I've been mistaken for many things in many places, worldwide. I don't ever pull that card, evah, as my ace in an argument -- May show some degree of admission of small mindedness in practice.

I'm above all of that petty shit. And who shouldn't?

Cookworks...

Teaching firemen how to make fritattas...well, ok. Kinda sterile exceptfor the interesting sexual tension between the thirty strapping fire dudes and the blushing host, the gangbang overtones were hard to dismiss. Still painful television, but not on par with Lighten Up. I see another season in the future.

Cookworks...

Teaching firemen how to make fritattas...well, ok.  Kinda sterile exceptfor the interesting sexual tension between the thirty strapping fire dudes and the blushing host, the gangbang overtones were hard to dismiss.  Still painful television, but not on par with Lighten Up.  I see another season in the future.

i had to turn the episode off. and i'll watch just about *any*thing.

Cookworks and sexual tension!

I wondered myself as I saw the flicker in her eye and ask if she could touch someone's pants.... :laugh: Did anyone notice some of those pancakes were a tad dark and almost burned?

Blinded by hunky fireman I guess.

Yeah, I know, me liking a Bobby Flay production is rather depressing. ... Flay's annoying side was decidely absent. I think he needs to do more television by himself. It's when he interacts with other humans that he gets in trouble.

Bill Russell

I watched the second of his Iron Chef appearances and it almost made me embarrassed to be an American.  I felt like the little boy on the episode wearing his Moritmoto outift.  I was downrtight pissed when Flay won.  Any positive feelings I had for him went out the window with that whiny, cocky performance. :angry:

we had seen this before, and while we wanted to watch it again (and did), my wife said towards the end "i'm going to bed. i can't watch Flay win."

raise the roof, yo.

I thought the watershed moment was when Masta Flay was asked if he was thinking about jumping up on the cutting board after the match. He responded with his typically dorky, "I might" or some paraphrase thereof. What a disrespectful dribble dick. But, hey, he won the battle and kept his cool when he was being "sabotaged" by the wok eye. I'll give him that. But blue corn crusted lobster? Shut the fuck up.

What a disrespectful dribble dick.

perhaps he most clever thing you've ever said.

he sure did fling that cutting board. morimoto was not impressed.

stillman touched on the who culture/respect issue in the Q&A. i think that does play a great part in that show's charm. putting an american frat boy into that particular arena sure had potential to be embarrassing.

Edited by tommy (log)

"putting an american frat boy into that particular arena sure had potential to be embarrassing"

I think that was the problem with the American version exactly (although Akebono might have had Bobby's back). And that's coming from an American Frat Boy.

"morimoto was not impressed"

I thought Morimoto was going to kick his scrawny ass. THe one thing I will say about that episode was that while Iron Chef always seems to be playing up the mano a mano, duel nature of the competiton - in this episode it seemed to actually exist as opposed to being manufactured.

Of couse I could be all wrong and Flay and Morimoto had a beer afterwards.

Bill Russell

I think they're listening to us, those demons of seersucker and wisdom, the food network programming execs...

I was walking by the bar area in my club just a couple minutes ago and low and behold there was Mario charring up some leeks to accompany some pan-fried upstate NY goat cheese. Thank you Food Network. What a welcome sight. I feel like I can breathe again. God, this is such a great thing for me. I love that guy.

I think they're listening to us, those demons of seersucker and wisdom, the food network programming execs...

I was walking by the bar area in my club just a couple minutes ago and low and behold there was Mario charring up some leeks to accompany some pan-fried upstate NY goat cheese.  Thank you Food Network.  What a welcome sight. I feel like I can breathe again.  God, this is such a great thing for me.  I love that guy.

Mario rocks. Plain and simple.

Picked up some leeks at the farmers' market this afternoon. Charred, with pan-fried goat cheese (from upstate CA, not NY) sounds just about perfect . . .

I know it sounds like I've had an epihany but trust me I'm unbiased...

Another good Boy Meets Grill. At a fire house in NYC, no gang banger overtones, and bestill my black heart, Bobby seemed honestly proud to have cooked a meal for the good guys. Great production quality, and again, the food really looked quite delicious. Especially enjoyed the star struck Italian grandma on the street. Good work.

I know it sounds like I've had an epihany but trust me I'm unbiased...

Another good Boy Meets Grill.  At a fire house in NYC, no gang banger overtones, and bestill my black heart, Bobby seemed honestly proud to have cooked a meal for the good guys.  Great production quality, and again, the food really looked quite delicious.  Especially enjoyed the star struck Italian grandma on the street.  Good work.

Je suis d'accord, C/W. This just about won me over, too. Bobby displayed none of his usual cockiness, and seemed touched to receive the Honorary Fireman plaque from his host. The food did look scrumptiously edible.

And the star-struck grandma was adorable.

I tried to read all nine pages of this thread, looking for something on Cookworks all the while, but gave up and just decided to post. So please excuse if this has already been covered.

I did see someone noted Cookworks as "OK". I must say that I really enjoy the show. I find the host Donna Doohr (sp?) to be terribly charming, and I love the format. It may be set up for novices - I think that's what I like about it. I hardly cooked a meal until I married three years ago, and have mainly been focusing on my cooking skills. After watching an episode of Cookworks, I was actually inspired to bake my first pie EVER. What inspired me? The idea of grating the butter and shortening into the dry ingredients. Somehow the idea of trying to use two knives to cut in butter had always terrified me!

Anyhow, I do hope someone besides myself has seen Cookworks. It's on at such odd hours - 5pm on Wednesday and 12:30 on Sundays - that I have to tape it. But I do enjoy it when I can catch it!

Ciao,

Elizabeth

EGQuan:

Somewhere in this was a comment on her episode with the hunky firemen and the sexual tension was almost palpable. I saw the gleam in her eye as she asked one of them if she could touch their pants! (read: yes, I could have been potentially jealous! *wink* )

I'm still on the fence with this one. There are a few instances I heard distinct irritation in the tone of her voice, which I am sure is understandable given the set of pupils she is attempting to whip into culinary shape, but I don't wish to tune in to see it in action for the substantive material nor as entertainment. (Where do these students come from???)

And the Cocktail wanabe dude behind the bar irritates the bejesus out of me. Oversized martini glasses that are not properly chilled and with small pours. He's just there for the oohs and awws factor because he can juggle a cocktail shaker/bottle. Does FN feature his bio to lend credibility to his mixology? I haven't looked.

Welcome to eGullet from one who is still new too. I'll warn you -- you may dream about it; spend your days off or the quick jaunt while still at work over here! It's addictive. I for one am glad. :wub:

Has any anyone discussed that "Roker on the Road" show???? Why on earth would they make ANOTHER "Best Of"/"$40 a day"/"Food Finds"/"Follow that food" kind of show. I do like Roker but the show format and content is just repetitive.....

And yes the new Flay show is quiet good and his food looks excellent (even CWS likes it :wacko: ), although we caught a glimpse of the old Flay personna with his "Who's your Daddy??" comment in the firemen episode :smile: .

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Flaying Flay may be the stated purpose of the piece, but the writer does manage a few other nasty sideswipes along the way:

"Emeril seems, at all times, dangerously close to actually copulating with the food he prepares."

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Flaying Flay may be the stated purpose of the piece,  but the writer does manage a few other  nasty sideswipes along the way:

"Emeril seems, at all times, dangerously close to actually copulating with the food he prepares."

that actually sounds flattering.

this bit rules:

Suggesting that viewers measure how long to leave tortillas on the grill "by counting to ten in Spanish twice," Flay procedes to demonstrate. "Uno, dos, tres, cuatro, cinco, seis, ocho, nueve, dies," leaving out good old siete. Although the mistake was obvious and easy to catch, and could have been quietly taken care of with another take, the editors left it in, even replaying the footage a second time for our continued viewing pleasure.
Edited by tommy (log)