• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Some Questions About Pyrex

Kikujiro

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Reading though this thread made me think back to the set of Pyrex bowls in Mom's kitchen in the 50s.

Her signature dessert was made-from-scratch banana pudding put together in that big 'ol yellow bowl!

il_570xN.1239912950_3rzi.jpg

My mom has (or had, I should say) the same set of bowls. All that remains from over the years of use are the red bowl and the small blue bowl. They epitomize the nostalgia of days- gone-by for me so I bought a set on eBay a few years ago. Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane! :)

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

My mom still has all four, as well. I've just helped her move, so I can vouch for that personally. :P

She also still has several pieces of the Tupperware I remember from the 1970s, and even one or two that used to be my grandmother's. Goodness knows how old those are. 

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 8/25/2017 at 6:59 AM, lindag said:

Reading though this thread made me think back to the set of Pyrex bowls in Mom's kitchen in the 50s.

Her signature dessert was made-from-scratch banana pudding put together in that big 'ol yellow bowl!

il_570xN.1239912950_3rzi.jpg

My dear MIL, who passed away 15 years ago, had this set in slightly different colors with a wheat motif. They are still in my FIL's kitchen.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 1 year later...

Compensation for senior executives of most if not all major companies has been tied to the companies stock price for some time now.

the notion that ' business success ' for a company can be best measured by its stock price came out of the Harvard Business School at some point

therefor it is in the financial interest  of the companies executives to cell a cheaper ( possibly inferior )  product tied to a well known brand, for profitability.

I cannot recall the book that discussed the shift at the HBS that started this trend.  anyone know about it ?

it might be this one :

https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Passport-Harvard-Business-Capitalism/dp/0062347179

Ill get it from the library and see

Edited by rotuts (log)

I did get this book , and read about the last 1/3d

no Coq au Vin Rx's that I could find

but  I cannot recommend this book

unless you are familiar with the Options Desk

and have some ' Calls ' on your mind related to PeptoBismol 

pass this book around ( well written it is ) to your many friends

ad you might do well

still , no notable Rx's in the book.

BTW  OnTopic :

pleased for all the original iPot Crew 'cash-ing out '