• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hen Night, with a small 'h'

I've picked the short straw and have to organise a restaurant for a hen night, but not of the 'L' plate variety - we're hoping to be much more sophisticated than that. So, e-gulleter's - any ideas for food good for a crowd, i know crowd and good food is usually an oxymoron. But, in the whole of London there must be somewhere.

Brief: Up to £50 per head. There will be approx 20 girls. Quite flexible as to location - but, central london preferable. Cuisine: anything. Ambience, somewhere not too stuffy, because i'm sure much wine will be consumed and 20 wined up females will not be quiet.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was thinking i shouldn't mention that it's a hen night - it does have certain connotations of diamond white swigging lushe's with no social graces whatsoever.

Thoughts i had after reading your posts:-

Bam Bou

Moro

Anything tapasesque could work - any thoughts?? Or anywhere you could reccommend that does private rooms.

Hi Archana,

here is a link to Square Meal's list of places with private rooms for 10-30

square meal

it's a bit of a mixed bunch, at a glance La Trouvaille would be good (lots of talk about it on the site, do a search), I am sure the waiters would entertain a group of women no problem!

good luck, i have just had to do the same but in Brighton for right in the middle of the festival - not an easy task believe me!

I would mention that it was a hen night.Honesty is the best policy.I had a group book a large table..no mention that it was a stag night :angry: If i had known, i would have given them exclusive use of my place, and they would have had a better night :biggrin:

but Basildog, as I've said before, you are Mr Lovely Restaurant Owner, not everyone is like you. :biggrin: Also your place is small enough for one group to take over, if the restaurant has 50+ covers for example, I doubt they would give you exclusive use of the restaurant. Mention hen night to people and they immediately conjure up images of white veils covered in pubic hair and screaming banshees licking tequila off a strippers chest, whereas the likes of me and Archana are far more sophiscated than that!

P.S Simon, I think you've posted on the wrong thread - it's the St.John's one that is about hairy, pot bellied swine.

Charlene, you know where i'm coming from. The men are just using at an excuse to think orgy thoughts. If any of the guests are single maybe simon et al would like to email them directly and discuss their fantasies, gastronomic or otherwise!!

In the meantime i'll have a look on Square meal and see what they've got. This is the first and last time i want to organise something like this. When i go down the aisle i'll be considerate and do it somewhere far, far away that doesn't have hen nights, so my friends won't have to spend hours thinking about venues!

Maybe we should just get one of those huge, crusty slabs of what they call pizza in Leicester square and gnaw on that!

Phallic shaped desserts, naked waiters...that kind of thing :wink:

Not really...any group will be caterered for better when you know more about it.The last one we did was a group of Irish ladies from Dublin.Printed menus just for them, chicks love momentos :biggrin: Wrote a menu arround what they liked, wines etc.I do take the point that restaurants are frightened of the words "HEN NIGHT"

I love the atmosphere at Bam Bou, and once attended a fun girlie dinner in their private room, but the food has always been a bit of a let down. It's presented nicely, though. I usually stick to the cocktails, myself.

Moro would be much better on the food front. I haven't been in ages though, so I'm not sure if they have a private room or not. Anyone?