• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

St John, Suckling Pig & You

PS wasn't the inaugural eg/ch meet at st johns?

That was Chowhound Jon. Because it was at that meal that I first heard of egullet and lo......life changed forever.

Since every other post I put up on Chowhound is deleted these days I have to face up to the fact that they don't love me any more and that they only wanted me for my body in the first place. I'd like to remain friends but friendship is a two way street. I think its time for us to say goodbye forever. :sad:

It looks like this is a go-er, so I am going to check out some dates for july for 25-30 people

So far, to my reckoning we are

Me

Robin

Tony

Fahro

Charlene

Chris

Akkiko

Chris

Ms J

Barry ( ?)

Jon Tseng

JD

Melissa ( ?)

Martin

Hallie

Hallie's tasting Partner ( Ahem )

Paul Bell

Gareth

Samf

Scott F

Vanessa

Gavin J

Gary Marshall ( Matthew )

KikuJ

So, 24 so far. I think 30 may be the limit

Any more?

S

... I won't sulk in a corner but will bless you with my munificent presence.

I just looked that up in my Dictinary of Etiquette, and it says that means you're paying ? That is just soooo generous, Andy, and on behalf of the 24 of us, we accept with thanks. :smile:

Edited by macrosan (log)

I'd like to say a tentative yes as well (depending upon dates) - make that two of us - I'm bringing my tasting partner. :smile:

That's probably OK. What exactly does you partner taste of ?

That's for me to know. :wink:

... I won't sulk in a corner but will bless you with my munificent presence.

I just looked that up in my Dictinary of Etiquette, and it says that means you're paying ? That is just soooo generous, Andy, and on behalf of the 24 of us, we accept with thanks. :smile:

Munificent with my company, wit and wisdom only, the lock stays firmly closed on the wallet I'm afraid.

We may well have a surprise US guest, so that is 25 and counting

The person in question is capable of eating pork in Finchian quantities, so they may have to throw another oinker in the pot

BTW - We don't get Balic at enough of these do's ( am I really saying this? ) can those who have more influence on him than I ( anyone with THOSE photo's currently to be seen on pigsinsuspenders.com ) persuade him to come to the big city once more?

S

Did you ever look at his book, your Grace? It's very much his style, so I wasn't suprised. He leavens it with a dour - to use his word - wit, I think. Book, pictures, food, restaurant - it's a whole minimalist package.

Did you ever look at his book, your Grace?  It's very much his style, so I wasn't suprised.  He leavens it with a dour - to use his word - wit, I think.  Book, pictures, food, restaurant - it's a whole minimalist package.

I'm all for that. But a 'dour' Q&A seems rather pointless.

I think the somewhat terse style adds a valuable counterpoint to some of our more verbose members.

As I recall he was quite chatty when my wife went on a drunken search for eccles cakes on a Friday evening a few months ago :raz:

Paul

This is a man who sells you raw pea pods. You expect elabouration?

1606 WARNER Alb. Eng. cii. 403 Flesh so proudlie stout That but as in a Labyrinth elaboureth about.

You expect me to be able to cure cancer and spell? Bloody ingrate.