• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

St John, Suckling Pig & You

• 2 weeks later...

What an amazing April 1st news story, and only one week late :laugh:

They stole 118 piglets worth over £4,000 and they were stolen from an indoor pigpen sometime between31 January and 31 March ????? How nice of them to pop in and see if the little piggies were OK every couple of months. I mean, that's a caring rural environment isn't it ? And what a drag to have to feed them every two months or so, especially in the cold weather !!!!

But my favourite part is the demonstration of the sharp acuity of the local constabulary.

A spokesman for Humberside Police appealed for help to find the piglets.

"This is an extraordinary theft," she said.

"With so many piglets involved we are sure someone must have seen or heard something."

Wow, welcome back PC Plod :laugh:

118 piglets carted off on a lorry, and she thinks "someone must have heard something" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yep, you would think so, wouldn't you :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh the tears, the aching ribs .... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

And yes, Simon, please put them back immediately :smile:

Depending on dates etc, sure.

likewise.

to anyone who is interested, there's a semi-decent article in the latest restaurant magazine on suckling-pig - in spain. unfortunately the article lacks substance, but it points out two supposedly excellent places for SP in or near madrid.

while on the subject, there's also a good aritcle on old-school french cuisine and a great recipe for turbot a l'amiral...looks impressive.

Has the date been decided yet for St John and the suckling pig?

I believe the Lord High Organiser is in New York at the moment, wading through several feet of snow and generally having a rotten time of it. So I guess he'll start to fix a date next week :smile:

Very remiss of me, but I have only just read this thread ! Simon, I have sent you a PM asking whether there are any spaces left for St John meal. If there are can you pop me down for two please?

Cheers

Bapi

Very remiss of me, but I have only just read this thread !  Simon, I have sent you a PM asking whether there are any spaces left for St John meal. If there are can you pop me down for two please?

Cheers

Bapi

i have the same request...didn't realize how many poeople had signed up already...if any spaces left, my lonely self would join in.

thanks

-che

I am speaking to them about dates on my return from the US on Friday, so I am sure this will all be fine

S

They're going to stuff the suckling pigs with dates ? Or are we talking about date pudding for afters ?

Glad to find that you're keeping your head above the snowdrifts, Simon. I was starting to worry about you.