• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Bec Fin

Kim WB

Hmmm...auspicious beginning. I made a reservation today for a birtday luncheon at Le bec Fin for a Friday.

I requested the wine list, (its not online) so that I can select a champagne to be ready at the table for us. She replied" Our wine list is very expensive, Madame, I can't fax it to you".

Wow, I was suprised. Sexism? Thinking if I had to ask for a list, I couldn't afford it? I pursued my objective, and spoke to the sommelier, who suggested Laurent Perrier.

I asked him for alternative suggestions, for a more special occassion wine. " It's very good, ,it's $85. " he replied.

I am thinking about cancelling the reservation, but the b-day girl LOVES this place, and we have had nothing but exempleray dinners and lunches there.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

i'm not sure what happened, as your first sentence isn't very clear. but, perhaps the person thought you wanted the list physically sent to you? or perhaps she said "extensive" rather than "expensive"?

edit: ok, you fixed your sentence. :biggrin: but again, maybe she was confused.

Edited by tommy (log)

Call again and make it clear to him that you are disappointed that Le Bec Fin seems to have only Laurent Perrier on its wine list. Ask him what the corkage would be if you brought your own bottle. Have a couple of possibilities in mind in case the corkage varies with the cost of the bottle. Maybe h'll get the idea and let you know what else they have.

Sorry, I edited it, I'm on a strange computer and accidently deleted part of my sentance. Anyway, it was definitely EXPENSIVE she said, not extensive, and I actually clarified with her, I said that cost was not the issue, I was intereseted in pre selecting the wine so it would be at the table when we arrived, that's why I needed the list. Then she suggested I speak with the sommelier. Who again brought up the price ( unasked).

edited to add that I have the kind of girl friends who every time we go out for a luncheon, its the big debate as to if we should drink, who has to pick up what kids, obligations, etc..then we always say "screw it" and wind up ordering a bottle. So I was just trying to cut to the chase...and by having the bottle at the table, the debate is moot. And for those who follow the drinking habits of the NJ board, rest assured that I have arranged with Birthday girl's husband to pick up her son at school, so there will be no drinking and driving.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

I can certainly understand why a restaurant would want to avoid faxing a wine list. i'm sure the list at le bec fin is voluminous. dare i suggest that talking to the sommelier is probably the best, or at least most practical approach in this type of situation?

as for the "expensive" bit, i'm still thinking that the receptionist misspoke.

I can certainly understand why a restaurant would want to avoid faxing a wine list.  i'm sure the list at le bec fin is voluminous.  dare i suggest that talking to the sommelier is probably the best, or at least most practical approach in this type of situation? 

as for the "expensive" bit, i'm still thinking that the receptionist misspoke.

nope, you've got to trust me on this..she did not misspeak. edited to add that I asked if it was possible to send just the champagen/sparkling wine part, or if I can name a few and she should tell me if they had them? ( this particular b-day girl loves Mumms Cremmant)

Edited by Kim WB (log)

nope, you've got to trust me on this..she did not misspeak.

i trust you when you say she said "expensive." i trust you when you say that she didn't want to fax it. what i'm not convinced of is that she was relaying some sort of restaurant policy. i think it might have been an inexperienced receptionist grasping for words. you know, just like a lot of people do around here when they get cornered and don't know what to say.

the point is, it doesn't make any *sense* to say "we can't fax it because it's expensive." it's illogical.

Edited by tommy (log)

My suspicion is that Le Bec-Fin does not have a faxable version of their wine list; that the person answering the phone was not assuming that, being a women, you would find the wine list too expensive to order from. She did the right thing in putting the sommelier on the phone with you. Can't ask for better service than discussing the wine selection directly with the sommelier.

I'm surprised at the sommelier's response. Did he end up suggesting other champagnes? I'm not doubting you. Rather I suspect some form of miscommunication. This just doesn't sound like Le Bec-Fin.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Kim -

you might want to approach the sommolier on the "we often drink this growth of that wine, etc" and ask for her or his guidance as to what's on the wine list to be paired with dinner suggestions.

Still, they do have a strange way of dealing with paying customers. Perhaps they have more than they know how to accomodate appropriately :biggrin:

Paul

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I have had wonderful experiences at Le Bec Fin. I am in agreement with many here who suggest that the receptionist was new or untrained. And yes, speaking with the sommelier was a good solution..but I had to pusue my request, it was not offerred initially. And, I am quite amazed that when I spoke to the sommelier, in no way did I indicate that the cost would be an issue, and without prompting, he brought up the price. In thinking about it, I agree that faxing the wine list might be an unreasonable request. ( although I have had many restaurants fax it to me..just last week, the River Cafe faxed it to me for a similiar reason. )

As for miscommunication with the sommelier, I can admit that there was a language barrier, and I needed to ask him to repeat himself quite a few times, but without quizzing him on every bottle, I simply indicated that I wanted a more "special" bottle than the Laurent, and, instead of offerrring alternatives, he quoted the cost of the bottle, and assured me its very good.

At the start of the reservation process, she asked me to spell my name, and then asked if Brian will be joining me. I told her I don't know who Brian was..she said he is a Mr. B who has visited here before. So I agree wshe was new..didn't have the hang of the guest tracking software!

To reiterate my point,a nd to agree with Holly, this doesn't soulnd like Le Bec Fin, whcih is why it warranted a post.

I'll chalk it up to miscommunication and inexperience, and report back on the meal. It's been about 6 months since I've been...

i think that a large percentage of the population would define "more special" as "more expensive," which is probably why the sommelier was giving you price points.

report back. i'm considering going to this old-school temple of haute cuisine. with black vans® rounding out my armani ensemble.

A simple tactic would be, when told they cannot FAX the wine list, to have them read it over the phone, front to back, bottle by bottle. :shock:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

If you are looking for a particular champagne, I would call and ask. I think they still have Greg Moore's favorite champagne: "Diebolt-Vallois", as well as the big brands. If they don't have what you want bring it and pay the corkage.

Kim--Maybe it is time for you to try Nicholas in Red Bank (Middletown)

Actually, I've been twice. Jury is still out, waiting for another visit befoer my "review". Went thisweekend.

edited to comment that it sounds like I did not likeRN, but I did, very much, I'm trying to figure how my meals fit into the hierarchy of my experiences, and wanted to give a thoughtful review because of the personal connections.. als9o it was a little strange becasue I did not drink or have dessert, long story.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

When I lived in Philly - I had the good fortune to dine at LBF and enjoyed the experience - with one exception, the pretentious service. Now this was quite a while ago - and things change. There is NO question, that you should make another phone call and speak to the house manager. No matter the length of the wine list - they can make any/every attempt to get it to you before your dining date, and at their prices (which they seemed to so like to quote) they SHOULD.

If this is the gaffe of an in-experienced receptionist, the management should have the opportunity to use this instance to train her (and the sommelier apparently) properly. As a repeat customer you certainly are within your rights to quote this type of service as "unusual" as compared to your past experiences, if you feel that is the case. To my mind, you should get a wine list toute-suite, and the bottle of champagne you select for that birthday dinner should be comped by the house. Believe me, folks with money to BURN dine in that place every night, and would expect no less in light of that type of treatment.

This smacks of the apocryphal (?) story of the sales clerk who responded to Madame's price inquiry with "If you have to ask, you can't afford it." Madame was of course and heiress, spoke to the manager and said salesclerk was fired instantly. There's some truth in there somewhere.

If your requests are not adequately satisfied - skip a couple of blocks and go to Striped Bass - it was my favorite restaurant in Philly.

Consider indicating you are aware of no other Mobil five star that has refused to fax you a wine list, upon request. This will garner the restaurant's attention, given Perrier's attention to five star status. I assume you can say that, based on any prior requests to five stars you have made. If the sommelier/receptionist resists, ask to speak with the maitre d'. :hmmm:

It's inappropriate for the restaurant to refuse a limited portion of the wine list, upon request. I would have retorted, after the "it's expensive" comment, "that it's expensive implies what?... I'm sorry? Here's my fax number. I look forward to receiving the excerpts with the champagne list by the end of business tomorrow."

Edited by cabrales (log)

When I lived in Philly - I had the good fortune to dine at LBF and enjoyed the experience - with one exception, the pretentious service.

I have never experienced "pretentious" sevice at Le Bec-Fin or any other top restaurant. I would actually prefer that the servers were a little more reserved at Le Bec-Fin, but I would guess that too many people find that intimidating, so they are trained to be more outgoing. To me the service at Daniel or ADNY is the gold standard, and Le Bec-Fin has a little too much American influence to be perfect.