• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seasonal Employment

burmaball

I'm not sure if this is appropriate here, but I thought I'd throw it out there nonetheless. Does anyone know of any seasonal kitchen jobs or of the direction I should take in looking for something? I'm pretty much interested in the East Coast but am open to virtually anything. Are there websites I should be looking into, or should I just contact restaurants outright?

Thanks!

My gut feeling is that you should check travel sections of newspapers, and travel magazines, and look for summer resorts. (You don't want to cook at a kids' summer camp, do you? :blink: ) Then do your research on the place and the chef, and get in touch.

The Inn at Manitou, in McKellar, Ontario, Canada, about 2-1/2 hours north of Toronto, is open only from early May until mid-October. It's an absolutely gorgeous property (Relais & Chateaux member) which includes a tennis academy and spa facilities. When we were there several yeas ago, the excellent cuisine was French, but they also offered such other things as an Asian buffet. The owners, Ben and Shelia Wise, told us that they hire an entirely new staff each season. You said you are "open to virtually anything," so you might contact them. They have a web site with employment information, and you can even file an application on-line.

http://www.manitou-online.com/contact.html

Any resort town will be hiring for the summer. It may be easiest to go and then look for work. At least that's what I've always done, and always had sucess. Cape Cod is big in that way. Google chambers of commerce in whatever town you're thinking of and they'll tell you how to go about it. And it's never too early to look for housing. Keep us posted.