• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef Allen's--Adventura?

Rosie

Not too recently, but it's always been good though the menu doesn't change too often or drastically. I did hear, however, that he has some new stuff on the menu now though the one at chefallens.com seems pretty much the same as I remember. Anyway, it's probably the best restaurant in that general area (not going as far as Coconut Grove, South Beach, etc. 40 min. away).

Rosie - I was a long time fan of that restaurant but my last two visits (last year and the year before) were disappointing. In fact last year's visit was so bad I crossed it off my list permanently. They haven't changed the menu in years and the food and cooking are extremely tired in my opinion. And it is Aventura by the way. Stick with Norman's. My meal there last Wednesday was fantastic.

Rosie,

I was there with my wife and her grandparents at the end of January this year. I had a conch seviche, with a yellow tomato broth for an appetizer. The grandparents split a simple salad and my wife had something with crab and lobster, although I can't remember the exact dish. Mine was very good, although VERY small. My wife's dish was good and I can't recall the salad. I had a veal chop (after asking for a tuna dish, which they ran out of by 8pm) which was the size of a compact car as an entree. Not cheap, coming in at a cost of about $38 along with the grandmother. My wife had a rack of lamb, which was over $40. The grandfather had a filet mignon with a red wine foie gras sauce, which he deemed "to strong." However, I didn't taste it, and wouldn't take his opinion on anything, especially that dish.

The veal chops were not outstanding, and did not deserve a $40 price tag. The lamb was good, but still not a $40+ dish. I had some sorbet and tea for dessert (the tea was great).

Service not great, asked for several things like bread which never arrived. There are better places to go, especially if you are going to spend cash like that.

• 4 months later...