• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steven Raichlen at Jack's Firehouse

Holly Moore

More so than in previous years, this is going to be the year of the Barbecue for Jack McDavid of Jack's Firehouse. He's helping to organize the Liberty Bell Barbecue Festival. Jack bought himself a big ol' new cooker and he's planning on making the rounds to a bunch of BBQ festivals and contests.

And last Thursday he hosted BBQ Cook Book author Steven Raichlen for the Book and the Cook. For those not familiar with The Book and The Cook - over a couple of weeks every March the City of Philadelphia pairs cookbook authors with restaurants. Depending on the author's skill as a chef, he takes over the kitchen, works with the hosting chef, or works the dining room.

The menu was all barbecue.

Started with "Kansas City Sweet and Smokey Ribs." Jack gets his ribs from New York City. "I take what the Chinese restaurants don't want." Jack gets the best part of the rib. Had to be the meatiest ribs I've ever gnawed. The meat was fall off the bone tender, the sauce, as promised slightly sweet, slightly smokey and lightly applied keeping the focus on the meat.

Jack-Ribs.jpgJack-RibsAfter.jpg

Next course - Sichuan Spiced Loin Lamb Chops with Chili Mint Jelly. Baby chops, cut thick, cooked medium rare. The Sichuan spices were a dry rub. Chili and mint work play quite well together and were a great compliment to the lamb chops.

Jack-LambChops.jpg

The main course - Mojo Marinated Pork Tenderloin - mojo in this case being orange juice, lime juice, garlic and some other stuff Jack didn't mention. The pork tenderloin was done medium/medium rare and served atop a grilled onion. The Mojo marinade mixed quite nicely with the pork juices.

Jack-PorkMedal.jpg

Dessert - Smoke Roasted Pears. Just that, filled with a cross between apple crisp topping and pumpkin pie seasoning. Smoking is a very good thing to do to a pear. In the cup along side, Chipotle Creme Brulee

Jack-Pear.jpg

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

The recipes were Raichlen's, the cooking Jack's.

To date, Bobby Flay and Jim Coleman (and maybe one other) are the only Cook Book authors Jack has allowed to work his kitchen.

Welcome to eGullut Jim. Jim has authored a couple of excellent resource cookbooks, "Sorbets!" about sorbets and "Marinades" about marinades.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Thanks for the nod Hol'. I was in Central Park for a BBQ demo back in '97. Steve Raicklin was there fronting Weber Grill's. He was demoing Smoked Pineapple. A whole pineapple (skin on) goes into the smoker for about an hour or two and the flavor combo is great. Texture wise it was soften. With pear I'd hazard a guess that you it would be a relatively short time, then chilled and served.

Jim

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press

As Jim said. There wasn't much difference in texture, in fact the pear was firmer than I had expected it would be. Think it could have used another 15-30 minutes of smoking. But the smoked flavor was all through the meat (pulp?) of the pear, but it enhanced and did not overpower the pear/s flavor.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter