• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bacon wrapped filet

tinytim

Okay, I know this is normaly done in a broiler.... However I was wondering if anyone has any tips to getting the bacon crisp using a flattop grill. I have been just rolling them around for a minute or two but that seems like the least efficient way possible. Would it be possible to parcook the bacon just short of crisp or something along those lines? Any suggestions would be welcomed.

The point of the exercise is for the bacon fat to baste the filet, so par-cooking would be undesirable even if you could manipulate the par-cooked bacon in such a way as to use it as a wrapper. Perhaps your best bet would be to apply flame directly using a torch as is done with, for example, creme brulee.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've never really had a bacon wrapped filet dish where the point of the bacon was to get crispy -- it was always added fat and flavoring for the filet. In most cases, the bacon only serves as a garnish and is discarded. So I would make a separate order of bacon if you were intent on eating it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I've seen Ming Tsai deep fry a fillet but it was covered in mashed potatoes. It looked very good. He pulled it out before it was well done.

I've had great bacon wrapped scallop apetizers that were out of this world and I've tried to duplicate them at home. At first I used my favorite bacon which happens to be thick; of course the bacon came out soggy. The second time I used a thin cut bacon and started frying them first before the scallops. When the bacon was still semi-faccid, I wrapped the scallops for a quick sautee and they came out just right: crispy bacon; warm, juicy and succulent scallops.

Sear top and bottom of filet. Holding with tongs, sear the bacon-wrapped sides. Lift. Drop into garbage can.

Now sear a strip steak, all sides.

There. Isn't that better?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Alternately:

Unwrap bacon from filet. Dispose of filet now that it has marinated the bacon. Grill bacon.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Oops..okay...strip is good...bacon is good...seperately...would that be a better guess?

better. but don't forget that filet sucks.

What tommy said.