• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fergus

On my last visit to St J last week, one of your ( excellent ) wait staff told my guest and I that each of the people working the line had been in a senior position at other restaurants.

How do you view the recruitment of staff? How easy is it for newcomers to deal with what is often a very different style of both preparation and presentation and does it take a certain mindset to work there?

Also, have any of those who have left gone on to take any of ST J's philosophy or indeed dishes to their new places of work?

Thanks and best

S

Staff recruitment seems to fall behind the fickle finger of fate, luckily a like minded bunch of people seem to find their way to our doors. If this is no the case it becomes readily apparent.

The mindset?....Wahey abounds!

I wouldn't presume that former kitchen members have left here 'cloned' as it were but one hopes broadminded.