• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Game

Is there a retail outlet in the DC area that carries a good selection of game? I've seen a bit of venison and quail here and there, but that's about it. Any recommendations? Wild boar, in particular, is a favorite of mine.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Is there a retail outlet in the DC area that carries a good selection of game?

I've been looking for game myself. The best place I've found so far has been Whole Foods (at least the Arlington one), which has the occasional frozen squab, quail, and/or pheasant, as well as duck, rabbit, and venison on a regular basis. I've seen wild turkey there 'round the holidays, and I *think* they had wild boar cutlets and/or sausages at least once. Sutton Place (boo! *spit!*) also has the occasional game bird.

Super H Mart in Fairfax has fresh duck legs (no boobs, though :blink: ), as well as frozen quail and squab, but, sorry, no boar last I looked.

I've always wondered if A. M. Briggs in DC will sell to the general public, or if they sell to caterers/restaurants only. I strongly suspect the latter, so I've never tried.

Your other option, if you can bear the shipping fees, is to order from D'Artagnan. Hell, if you buy game from Sutton Place or the like, you're likely getting meat from D'Artagnan anyway.

Let me know if you do find game, though. I'd love you forever. :wub:

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Springfield Butcher has pheasant, duck, foie gras, quail, and maybe some other things. I am a newcomer to their store, so I haven't tried the game, but they have been good for things like veal bones and fresh oxtails, at much better prices than places like Fresh Fields, Sutton Place, or Wagshals.

Springfield Butcher has pheasant, duck, foie gras, quail, and maybe some other things. 

Saycheese,

Where IS the Springfield Butcher? PLEASE share. :wink:

Is this the place?

Springfield Butcher

6816 Bland Street

Springfield, VA 22150

Phone: (703) 451-3033

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Springfield Butcher has pheasant, duck, foie gras, quail

I've never seen these things on display at Springfield Butcher....do they consistently have them "in the back"?

I haven't been back to Springfield Butcher in awhile...after the guy showed me his "prime" beef....looked like select.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

Thanks, Vengroff. I will head there Friday. Can't wait.  :raz:

Note, I was just asking if that is the place. I have never been there and have no idea what they carry. I just found that address with google.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

I haven't ever purchased game there, but used to shop at Springfield Butcher when I lived in those parts.

The meat was good. Not the best I have had, but better than what you could get at the local Giant, Safeway, etc. I liked the fact that it was a rarity in the area - a "real" butcher that seemed to know a little about the meat they were selling.

Bill Russell

As promised, we ventured out to Springfield to find the butcher. It IS the place Vengroff found.

Pretty cool. Good looking meats. They had some game. I bought 2 lbs. venison backstrap and a couple of duck breasts. I KNOW. Duck is not game! I haven't cooked the venison yet but plan to this weekend.

The guys that work there were very friendly and helpful. So get on out there people. We foodies must support our neighborhood shops so that all the world doesn't become a Safeway. :biggrin:

I KNOW. Duck is not game! I haven't cooked the venison yet but plan to this weekend.

I thought wild duck is in fact considered game... (if not I will be even more pissed with C. Delouvrier's game menu than I already am, and given my disappointing experience--posted on the same thread as Wilfrid ngatti et all, that's saying something.)

I'll take your word for the farm raised variety, though I have (in restaurants only to be clear) encountered some fairly gamey specimens of duck that I have always assumed was farm raised.

For the record, Syracuse has the MOST GAME and will emerge victorious :biggrin::raz:

Excellent.  I will have to stop in.  Did they have boar?

Vengroff, I didn't ask about boar. Mike, the guy behind the counter said what they carry varies by day. Let me know if they do. Would love to play Astrix and try it.

I made the trek to Springfield yesterday (Sat, Apr 6) and found that they do have boar! I did not buy any, since I have NO idea how to cook it, though I did buy some beautiful looking boneless beef short ribs, some skirt steak (though I found later on that the nearer-to-my-house Super H Korean Supermarket had just as nice looking skirt steak for a little less per pound), and two venison filets wrapped in bacon (which will be dinner tonight). Quite a find!

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Springfield Butcher myself this Saturday. Bought some pork chops, a couple of huge duck breasts (1lb. apiece), and a couple of frozen boar arm-steaks. The pork was divine, the duck is marinating now, and the boar is in our freezer until we can grill it.

I think I like that place.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.