• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oral Allergy Syndrome

Schielke

The past couple years, some raw fruit has given me trouble when I eat it. The inside of my mouth and tongue start to itch within a minute of contact. I was eating an apple today and it happened again so I looked it up.

ohhh, I have a syndrome!

Offending raw fruit for me: Apples, cherries, and pears. I dont seem to be bothered by anything else.

How about you? Does anybody else have this? Who wants to be my syndrome buddy?

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

After following your link, I think I have a Pop-up Ad Allergy. :angry:

But I have noticed that if I eat hazelnuts with the skins on, I can't breathe. (Only happened once, but that was enough!). And walnuts give me, um, heartburn. So I avoid them both.

So does that make me your buddy? :wub:

Oh yeah totally, but in a very mild sort of way. I wondered what it was. Avocado, for me, is probably the worst offender, but a lot of the more common fresh fruits do it too. The inside of my mouth gets slightly sore and tingly, and I get little swellings, including sometimes on my lips. It's not severe enough to stop me eating stuff, and it passes quite quickly. I am not aware of any other allergies, except in adulthood I have become slightly sensitive to pollen.

Cool. I got an allergy. :wub:

Edit: Oddly, I've noticed that tropical fruits are harmless. The more costly the better, apparently. :sad:

Edited by Wilfrid (log)

*sigh* Kiwis. I love 'em. Bought some 5-for-a-dollar a few years ago and had a wild reaction, chalked it up to maybe improperly-rinsed or maybe a pesticide or something but was scared enough to wait 6 months. I had a couple pieces of kiwi in somebody's fruit salad and the same thing happened. Sucks.....

My granddad LOVED mangos. LOTS of mangos. Living in Hollywood, FL, he negotiated the mango-rights to all the neighbors' trees, and, at 80, was still climbing the trees to get 'em. He had one of those small chest freezers packed with 'em, bottom to top.....then my grandma developed an allergy to them. Once she couldn't eat them, she made him peel, pack and freeze - at which point he figured he had enough to last until he died.......

After following your link, I think I have a Pop-up Ad Allergy.  :angry:

But I have noticed that if I eat hazelnuts with the skins on, I can't breathe.  (Only happened once, but that was enough!).  And walnuts give me, um, heartburn.  So I avoid them both.

So does that make me your buddy?  :wub:

Of course...buddy! :wub:

Ben

p.s.

Sorry about the pop-us, gaahh!

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

I don't know if I have an allergy or if i'm just sensitive to acidic things because i get little welts on my tongue from certain fruits, nuts, and tomato products, but I also get them from sour candies such as sour patch kids. It didn't use to be this bad, though. I never really thought about it--usually I eat the offending products anyway and just deal with it!

newguy, you're not insane, cantaloupe has bothered me for my whole life. Same with watermelon. ANY melon, really.

I get little sores in my mouth and if I've handled the fruit extensively, I get them on my hands. Honeydew melon used to give me stomach problems as well.

This is bad because I love melon. :sad:

Noise is music. All else is food.

I don't know if I have an allergy or if i'm just sensitive to acidic things because i get little welts on my tongue from certain fruits, nuts...

Same for me...welts of sorts on my tongue but only from cantalope and walnuts. I suspect it's the acidity because if I get a really ripe cantalope I'm ok. Walnuts do it every time so I changed to pecans as a substitute years ago. We grew walnuts at home (ages ago!) and when drying them and removing the outer covering I'd get my hands stained brown from the juice. I've always wondered if that sensitized me. It's only an inconvenience, not like the extreme reaction some people have from peanuts.

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

• 3 months later...

I have recently developed an airborne allergy to cantaloupe - I haven't been able to eat cantaloupe for quite some time because of swelling tongue, hives in my mouth, I'd lose my voice, etc but could be in the vicinity. Now I can't be anywhere near it because of coughing, wheezing and my throat closes up- it's making my life very difficult - anybody else out there with this difficulty?

The past couple years, some raw fruit has given me trouble when I eat it.  The inside of my mouth and tongue start to itch within a minute of contact.  I was eating an apple today and it happened again so I looked it up.

ohhh, I have a syndrome!

Offending raw fruit for me: Apples, cherries, and pears.  I dont seem to be bothered by anything else.

How about you?  Does anybody else have this?  Who wants to be my syndrome buddy?

Ben

Apples not only bother the inside of my mouth it also causes acute gastro intestinal distress!

(ahem!)

:shock::wacko:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

I'm glad this thread popped up again because I've lately realized that raspberry popsicles also cause little sores on my tongue, but grape ones don't. Like someone said before, they pass pretty quickly but are really painful when they're there.

Gee and I thought I was the only person with weird food allergies. I remember that I couldn't even any kind of melon when I was a child. I'd itch all over! Now that I'm an adult I have no problems with melon, but apples make me hurl.

:sad:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

I have those same itchy-mouth symptoms (as a bonus, the top layer of skin on the roof of my mouth usually peels off!) when I eat fried eggplant. Oddly, it doesn't happen when I have eggplant prepared a different way, like, say, baba ghanouj.

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

My husband has a problem with cherries. He forgets from year to year, until he eats the first cherries of the season and then he gets a swollen, numb feeling in his lips (kind of like novacain). He also has this problem with the peels of Granny Smith apples.

Of course this means more cherries for me!! :raz:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs