• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yujin, 24 East 12th Street

jeunefilleparis

FROM DAILY CANDY:

There's the Japanese restaurant. And then there's the Japanese-inspired one.

Both serve raw fish. Both provide chopsticks. And both ply you with sake. So what's the difference?

Originality, baby. Or so says Chef Eiji Takase of Yujin, which opens today on the Greenwich Village block littered with upscale spots like Gotham Bar & Grill and Strip House. To back up his claim, his menu offers starters like yellowfin-tuna ravioli and rock-shrimp dumplings. Main courses include grilled lobster onigarayaki, poached red snapper with tofu, and miso-marinated salmon.

The space shows no trace of its former incarnation: a dreary Kinko's. In the place of the copiers and the hideous fluorescent lighting are beige suede banquettes, minimalist black-and-white furnishings, and a ceiling dangling 29,500 chopsticks.

Japanese? Sort of. Inspired? Definitely.

Yujin, 24 East 12th Street, between University Place and Fifth Avenue (212-924-4283).

I dont know this chef at all, has anyone heard anything??

lauren

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

I made a reservation at Yujin for April 18th. I m sure that some of you will beat me to it and i hope to hear some recommedations. The place was lovely inside and i loved the ceilings!

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

• 7 months later...

Here is a restaurant with all the right mix. An interesting menu from Chef Takase and sushi chef, kazuo Yoshida who earned his stripes at Jewel Bako and Brassaerie 360. While the sushi bar is too high for anyone to engage in the spectator aspect of sushi, the sashimi was unusual in its preparation of fish and the artfully arranged sushi omakase tasted as good as it looks. Best of all its one of the few Japanese restaurants in town that you can eat at without having to wait on long lines.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.