• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wedding Anniversary suggestions?

My hubby and I will be celebrating our tenth wedding anniversary this summer.. Since it is a milestone anniversary, I wanted to make it special... any suggestions?

We are not particular on cuisine.. we love food.. looking more for a place with impeccable service, romatic atmosphere.... you know.. a place we will get pampered

MOnica

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

One of the most romantic tables in town is at 1789 in Georgetown, the flagship of the Clyde's chain. There is a corner banquette in the first floor room off to the left - a very cozy setting. Chef Ris Lacoste does an excellent job in the kitchen, and the service has always been perfect in my visits there.

One of the most romantic tables in town is at 1789 in Georgetown, the flagship of the Clyde's chain.  There is a corner banquette in the first floor room off to the left - a very cozy setting.  Chef Ris Lacoste does an excellent job in the kitchen, and the service has always been perfect in my visits there.

SOunds nice.. what sort of food do they serve... what have you eaten there that you enjoyed.. what about the service appealed to you.. am I being a pain?

Tell me more!!!!! please..

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

No pain here, and 1789 is a very well-known, very old-school Washington place so I'm sure others may chime in with their impressions. The cuisine is very traditional American, in the style of an elegant country inn. Beef, fish, fowl, game, seasonal vegetables, some southern influence. I think of the Virginia hunt country. I would not say it was innovative or imaginitve, but it is very well-executed and very well presented.

Service is my preferred right balance of "formal but friendly." Servers are not stuffy or snooty by any means and are adept at leaving you in peace with just the requisite attention (water, bread, proper silver, etc. silently appearing). They are also at home with being engaged about the food or the restaurant.

If you call in advance and explain the occasion, I am sure they will be very accomodating about reserving a suitable table and any special requests.

1789 webpage

Another restaurant that comes to mind is Elysium in Alexandria - I've not dined there, but other eGulleters have gone together and had a wonderful time. That seems like it could qualify as a sufficiently romantic spot and the cuisine is superior by all accounts (Chef Mazzi was recently at the Beard House in NYC).

I also find L'Auberge Chez Francois out in Great Falls, VA to be a very romantic and delicious restaurant - in the style of an Alsatian Inn.

Finally, of course, there is the Inn at Little Washington and that would be hard to top as a romantic venue - particularly if you pull out the stops (and your wallet) and stay over night.

Another restaurant that comes to mind is Elysium in Alexandria - I've not dined there, but other eGulleters have gone together and had a wonderful time.  That seems like it could qualify as a sufficiently romantic spot and the cuisine is superior by all accounts (Chef Mazzi was recently at the Beard House in NYC).

Note that Chef Mazzi's departure was just announced within the past couple of weeks. So, it's not clear what you will get if you go there.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

That's a shame that Mazzi is leaving Elysium. I have eaten there twice in the past 6 months or so and quite enjoyed it, though there is the slight problem that they don't pay much attention (it seems) to particular quirks of their diners. E.g., we told him one time that one of our party ate no shellfish, yet he was given scallops as one of the entr'actes anyway, and another time we asked him no brains (not thinking they would be served) and again no shellfish for that one diner and were given sweetbreads and shrimp...

These might not be "romantic" enough settings (not my forte; I'm not into romance much), but what about Nora or Asia Nora? We ate at Nora this past Monday night, and had a wonderful meal with excellent service. And Asia Nora is a lovely place, also with excellent food.

But I have heard great things about Ris and 1789.

No pain here, and 1789 is a very well-known, very old-school Washington place so I'm sure others may chime in with their impressions.  The cuisine is very traditional American, in the style of an elegant country inn.  Beef, fish, fowl, game, seasonal vegetables, some southern influence.  I think of the Virginia hunt country.  I would not say it was innovative or imaginitve, but it is very well-executed and very well presented.

Service is my preferred right balance of "formal but friendly."  Servers are not stuffy or snooty by any means and are adept at leaving you in peace with just the requisite attention (water, bread, proper silver, etc. silently appearing).  They are also at home with being engaged about the food or the restaurant. 

If you call in advance and explain the occasion, I am sure they will be very accomodating about reserving a suitable table and any special requests. 

1789 webpage

Another restaurant that comes to mind is Elysium in Alexandria - I've not dined there, but other eGulleters have gone together and had a wonderful time.  That seems like it could qualify as a sufficiently romantic spot and the cuisine is superior by all accounts (Chef Mazzi was recently at the Beard House in NYC).

I also find L'Auberge Chez Francois out in Great Falls, VA to be a very romantic and delicious restaurant - in the style of an Alsatian Inn.

Finally, of course, there is the Inn at Little Washington and that would be hard to top as a romantic venue - particularly if you pull out the stops (and your wallet) and stay over night.

Sounds really delightful. I would love the Little Inn, it is a bit too expensive though. I will call 1789 see what they can do for us... thanks

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

For one thing, the restaurant is the first in the country to be "certified organic" right down to the waiters' uniforms. Sorry, I forget the name of the certifying organization. Since my own opinion is that "organics" from small producers just plain taste better (think Alice Waters), I believe Nora's food (and wine) is quite delicious.

Last week we had a wild mushroom soup and beef tartare as apps. There were many lovely-sounding mushroom dishes on the menu, but the soup appealed most. It was intensely mushroom, and rich without cream. The tartare tasted, well, like beef. With hints of the other flavorings. But it tasted of ITSELF.

For mains we had grilled salmon, and crab cakes. Now, I never, EVER order salmon in restaurants; far too often it is horrible, tasting rancid and not at all like salmon. Nora's was perhaps a bit too strongly grill-flavored for my taste, but there was no mistaking that this was salmon as I remember it. And the crab cakes were just right: lots of crab and not much more. The vegetables that accompanied each plate were crisp, fresh, sweet, and there was an astonishing herbed potato cake that I would been happy to make a whole meal out of.

The ingredients are top quality, and present their own flavors as they should. Even when "strongly" spiced. :wink:

Monica, I hope you will consider this suggestion before speaking to your husband. Since you say that the Inn at Little Washington is a bit too steep -- we stayed there for a special anniversary quite a while ago and it did, indeed, cost a bundle! -- I can highly recommend another inn about 45 minutes outside of Washington which is quite wonderful and not nearly as expensive. It's L'Auberge Provencale, located in White Post, VA. We have been there twice, and it does feel as though one is in a lovely auberge in Provence. (Since we have been to Provence, I can make that comparison from experience.) The chef/owner is from France, and his food is superb. Not only are dinners terrific, but he makes the most sensational breakfasts. There is a range of prices for rooms -- all quite charming -- in the main house. I think we stayed in what is considered the best one, a lovely "suite" on the second floor. In addition, they have a couple of more sumptuous accommodations on a property about a 2-minute drive from the main house where there is also a swimming pool. They have a web site:

http://www.laubergeprovencale.com

Happy Anniversary! :smile:

Edited by rozrapp (log)

Respectfully to the other recommendations for a special anniversary if ambience and atmosphere is a priority over food I would seriously consider L'Auberge Chez Francois which I feel is superior overall (certainly for ambience) to Auberge Provencial. This is as romantic as any restaurant can be in the D. C. area and has been voted the most popular in the area for 17 out of the last 20 years by Washingtonian. If food is a priority I would consider in order, Maestro at the Ritz Carlton in Tyson's Corner requesting one of the tables in front of the open kitchen, Citronelle and Laboratorio (NOT-repeat NOT Galileo).

I am not a fan of the Inn at Little Washington. At $149 prix fixe for Saturday day night ($300 suppliment for one of two "Chef's Tables" which brings the prix fixe for four to $224 per person plus wine that has a 200 to 400% markup) with rooms that range from $500 to 800 including half of them in a building one block down the street I find this to be priced in the range of a three star in Paris. Unfortunately while it's food is very, very good it is not in league with the prices asked. When you factor in wine "The Inn" on a weekend is a $500 + experience and if you have one of the Chef's Tables you are looking at a realistic $700 per couple. Of course if you are willing to celebrate your big meal on a weeknight the price will come down to $350 to 400.

I think 1789 is very, very good. It is a D. C.tradition. But, honestly, L'auberge Chez Francois is more special, more romantic and more charming.

Alternativey, for a swanky evening consider the Prime Rib on K Street which is D. C.'s other celebratory restaurant. Black leather banquettes, chrome, leopard prints, floral displays and a required coat and tie for men.

For Maestro on a Saturday reserve at least 5 or 6 weeks in advance. L'auberge, I believe, is two weeks to the day and books up within hours for weekends. Citronelle should have availability several days in advance as should the Prime Rib and Citronelle.

• 3 months later...

1789...a brief write-up

It was pretty good. We ended up opening that 2001 Darioush Viognier that Debbie found at that little off the wall shop near her work.

Complimentary valet parking was nice. The restaurant is split up into six dining areas on different levels. Tables are nicely spaced and the food, at $35 for 3 courses ($45 if you choose the lamb) is extremely well priced. It would normally cost you about $40 to $55 for the same without this promo. Corkage was $20. With 10% tax and coffee, it came to $104 plus tip. Not bad.

I started with a spinach salad with a warm pancetta dressing, onions, raisins, goat cheese and more. Mrs. TJ started with a salmon & asparagus soup with lots of other greens in it along with a tiny radish butter toast that she said was the highlight of the dish.

I moved on to the veal loin served on a bed of I think lemon risotto, dried tomatoes, scattered asparagus tips and a sauce. Nice. Debbie had a roasted chicken with fennel, mushrooms and some bitter greens. The chicken was I think herb crusted. Quite tasty.

I ended up with the blueberry cobbler topped with brown sugar ice cream that was delicious. Debbie has the ricotta cheesecake, which was served as it's own little cake -- surounded by fresh berries.

All in all a great value. I think I would go back again, especially during the promo. Otherwsie, I'd probably still go back every now and again. Scratch one more of the list of places to go check out.

• 2 weeks later...

Although the Inn at Little Washington is indeed the place you're looking for--with a romantic little hotel room just above your dinner table--I also concur with the people who recommend Nora's. That restaurant has long been a favorite of mine. I suggest you call them up beforehand and tell them you're having an anniversary dinner. They'll figure out a way to make it special.

Citronelle is also a pretty and romantic restaurant; I can also recommend that. It may also be out of your price range, though.

Bruce