• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sincerest Form of Flattery

Hello Fergus

Thank you for taking the time to look at some of our questions

When I am describing St J to friends in London or abroad, I often call it the one truly unique restaurant in London and, in my travels, I have never seen anything like it anywhere else.

Does it surprise you that, given the commercial and critical success of St J's that more people have not taken up a similar approach or that there is still very little nose to tail action to be found on London's menus?

It is interesting that with the opening of the new St J's bakery in Spitalfields ( I am not sure if you feel comfortable talking about that ) that you have in fact had to copy yourself and no one else has thought of/been able to do that

Best

S

To answer the second part first...we're not trying to replicate St. John over in Spitalfields, the new site will be a place of many parts, some of which will amount to a very different kettle of fish to our beloved Smithfield site. But the spirit of St. John will be ripe none the less.

Back to the original question though...why has none one else done this? Ummm, not sure I can answer this one, I'm not really in a position to...life's rich texture. Sorry.