• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to eat in Savannah [MERGED TOPIC]

KatieLoeb

You are correct on the Tubby's location; if the weather's nice it's a good view over the river. While they have grouper fingers, I seem to recall there are no chicken fingers. Spanky's is still the best bet there.

On Moon River, I felt their food was less conventional when they first started, but I think the clientele has forced them to standardize it a little more. It's not at all bad, and still a good bet for a beer. If I have one complaint about them, however, they don't seem to be able to coordinate a table of more than four without getting the orders messed up. Perhaps that's a problem they've solved, but I always felt like they were surprised when someone actually wanted to eat.

I don't think anyone mourns the loss of TGIFridays, except maybe its employees. It wasn't even good for a TGIFridays.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

• 3 months later...

Wife and I are just up off the I-95 outside of Savannah. We are going to venture into the city tomorrow morning. Would like a nice local place for lunch. Seafood of course would be a delight.

We were at Sweatmans in SC for lunch today (needed only some fruit for dinner) on the advice of another. Top quality and unlike anything I have ever had. Still thinking about the ribs.

officially left egullet....

Just got back from a short trip to the Coastal Empire. Based on posts from MAF and Andrew Fenton, we ate superbly, focused this trip on indegenous cuisine--in contrast to prior trips extending back fifteen years when we hit the old Teeples, Elizabeth on 37th back when it was epynomonous and likewise, Mrs. Wilkes and Lady and Sons.

1. Best food of the trip: lunch at United House Of Prayer aka Madison Cafeterie. Perfect buttermilk marinated fried chicken, collards comme il faut, and red rice to absolutely die for. Forgettable coconut cake.

2. Breakfast at Mom and Nikki's. Extraordinary biscuits, good scrambled eggs, choice of hard or soft bacon (both good) and smoked beef sausage. Those biscuits--buttery, reason in and of themselves to get by here.

3. Queenies Soul Food To GoGo. Not the best food of the trip--but damn good. And a totally magical place, the place I want to take others to. Very well prepared not overcooked and very fresh blackened grouper, exc !! fresh local crab mayonnaise bound crab cakes, good collards and okra and tomatoes, red rice a shadow of United House Of Prayer. vg lemon cake.

4. BBQ ribs from a couple of serious smokers, out front of the Emerald City (garage/detail shop) on Bull, southeast corner off of Victory Drive. They are out there at least Fri/Sat afternoons I know. Good mustard based sauce. No side dishes. Just ribs, 'steak' and white bread.

5. Johnny Harris. Not a lot good to say, it wasn't our choice. Terrific main dining room with the domed ceiling and 360 degree mural. ok house baked rolls. Sorry service and food. Worth going once to see the room.

6. Breakfast Club. Nice place, good pecan waffle, dense, not eggy and light. This was pretty much a grab and go to feed my wife's pancake jones prior to the wedding, following b'fast for me at Mom and Nikki's.

Thank you Thank you Thank you MAF and Andrew Fenton!

Glad you found some good local eating. Judging from the places you went, I'd have to rate you more adventurous than most locals.

Lunch crowd at United House Of Prayer was comprised of trades people, business people and so forth. About as challenging inside and outside as lunch at the mall.

Queenies crowd was typical gentrifying intown types. Gays, students and babbits like us.

Mom and Nikki's is a narrow storefront adjacent to a c-store with iron bars in the hood. Ok, could be challenging. On the other hand, a pure heart, clear gaze and driving mission takes on all comers. I'm exagerating from both ends. Nice people. My only regret is that I didn't have time to get by for lunch, only b'fast.

Upon reflection, how many compositions of shrimp and cheese grits and fish with nuts and meat with sickeningly sweet sauces decorated with re-purposed plastic ketchup bottles can one face? Now these, these are what I find challenging.

Many thanks for the stellar referrals.

• 1 month later...

New article on Savannah dining: Atlanta Journal-Constitution ...

How to eat like a local in Savannah

This is a city of delight, not discipline, so when dining, you might as well give in to temptation. There are other enticements galore — charming old homes and carriage houses, grand buildings with classical porticos, pediments and pillars, jasmine-scented breezes and trees trimmed in Spanish moss. A visit here, as "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" author John Berendt wrote, "is like strolling through the rooms of an elegant, open air mansion." But wandering the streets and squares, you can't help noticing all the opportunities to eat. You can sample pecan candy and peanut brittle at stores along the river. You'll want to visit River Street, and try some of this port city's great seafood. If this is a first-time visit, you're pretty much obliged to stroll through the City Market area, aka Tourist Central. And it's hard to miss the lines outside Paula Deen's The Lady & Sons, which specializes in down-home Southern cuisine and is a magnet for out-of-towners.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 1 month later...

One place I'd recommend to try is Kasey's Gourmet Grille on Waters ave. Specifically try their weekend Brunch Menu 11am-2pm or their desserts. I've only had dinner there once and it was nice, but brunch has been enjoyable and affordable many a weekend. Their tomato and crab bisque is an extremely tasty appetizer.

• 2 months later...

My wife and I will be vacationing in Savannah for the first time the week of Thanksgiving and want to experience the best food and dining experiences this city has to offer. We're staying in the Historic District but will have a car. There is not much we don't love or won't try but service is important. Specifically, recommendations for a good meal on Thanksgiving Day would be appreciated. We have read many of the previous threads about Savannah dining but know how quickly restaurants can rise to or fall from grace. Much thanks in advance.

Olde Pink House is a classic

Built in 1771 and glowing pink (its antique bricks show through a protective covering of stucco), this house has functioned as a private home, a bank, a tearoom, and headquarters for one of Sherman's generals. Today, its interior is severe and dignified, with stiff-backed chairs, bare wooden floors, and an 18th-century aura similar to what you'd find in Williamsburg, Virginia. The cuisine is richly steeped in the traditions of the Low Country and includes crispy scored flounder with apricot sauce, steak au poivre, black grouper stuffed with blue crab and drenched in Vidalia onion sauce, and grilled tenderloin of pork crusted with almonds and molasses. You can enjoy your meal in the candlelit dining rooms or in the Planters Tavern.

Elizabeth's on 37th is also wonderful for a exceptionally nice meal ...as are Garibaldi's, Il Pasticcio, Johnny Harris Restaurant, Lady and Sons, Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room, Sapphire Grille .. no dearth of fine dining in Savannah ... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

My wife and I will be vacationing in Savannah for the first time the week of Thanksgiving and want to experience the best food and dining experiences this city has to offer. We're staying in the Historic District but will have a car. There is not much we don't love or won't try but service is important. Specifically, recommendations for a good meal on Thanksgiving Day would be appreciated. We have read many of the previous threads about Savannah dining but know how quickly restaurants can rise to or fall from grace. Much thanks in advance.

Thanksgiving is frequently a tough ticket since a lot of restaurants are closed. If you can't find anything in Savannah - you might take a day trip to the Ritz Carlton on Amelia Island (which serves an ok Thanksgiving meal and has a lot of "start the Christmas season" activities). Robyn

I'll just tell you about the places I've actually visted not necessarily a list of the most expensive and elite places in town....the dollar signs give you some idea on cost.

I'd stay away from Johnny Harris unless you're more interested in ambiance than taste. Opened in 1917...tastes like the same menu.$$

Lady and Sons can be tasty but stick to the specials and avoid the buffet. BE prepared to wait in a long line. $$

Il Posticcio is very nice italian food, had a lovely anniversary dinner there. $$$

If you want a good Hamberger hit B&D burger on Broughton St. really is one of the best you'll ever have and they have about 15 types. It the only non-fast food hamberger joint I've ever seen. $

Away from downtown Casey's Gourmet Grill is very interesting and with some of the best desserts I have ever tasted. Has an amazing tomato and crab bisque that I get every time I go. More aimed at locals than the tourists. $-$$

If you go all the way to the south end of Abercorn Street try Tangerine. It's a new asian "fusion" place owned by a Vietnamese family (who also own a few vietnamese restraunts in town) and is very very good. $$$

Jazz'd is a decent Tapas place but it's more of a night spot, though a good one. $$

Belford's is in the City Market and the food is excellent. I swear you can gain five pounds looking at the menu though. $$$

The River House is a good place on River Street. Amazing baked goods and wonderful Caesar salad open a very good meal for what normally would be a tourist trap. $-$$

Last but never least is the Crab Shack out on Tybee Island. If you want a fun night out with your friends and family you can get great ambiance and great food. I suggest getting the samplers. It's basically a low country boil (corn on the cob, crab legs, sausage, potatoes, crayfish and mussels) and can't help but make you happy. $$

Edited by Darin Smith (log)

• 1 month later...
No one is talking about Gottlieb's where we had a wonderful dinner in 05. Has it gone under, or down hill? We plan to be back in the spring and were looking forward to a return there.

Sorry, Dianne, Gottlieb's has closed. I agree that the food there was excellent. On the other hand, it was pretty expensive; more expensive than the Savannah market was willing to bear, I'm afraid.

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I've appreciated the advice and direction I've gotten from these forums for quite some time.

We're going to Savannah this Thursday. A friend of mine has recommended Nita's on Abercorn Street and The Tea Room on East Broughton. I don't think I've seen either of those places mentioned and was wondering what anyone thought about them.

Thanks so much.

Esther

• 3 years later...

I used to live and work in Savannah for quite some time. I think you hould avoid the major traps like lady and sons and river street and explore more through midtown and other parts of the downtown area. If these foloowing restaurants are still open i would definately check them out... Cha Bellas (i used to be the chef) they are great and really focued on local product and seasonality. The alligator lounge is awesome and so is elizabeths on 37th. This was all upwards to 4 years ago so things can change but if they are still around i would check them out.

Hi, BPBNY. Thanks for the info. I had read about Elizabeth's on 37th & it looks great. The other two I had not heard of so I will check them out. I had no intention of going anywhere near Paula Deen's place, but thanks for confirming that!

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

We just had a great meal at Leoci's Trattoria on Abercorn. The place is away from the river and has a neighborhood vibe. I can't remember what my wife had but I had suckling pig bbq cooked in their brick oven. Yum.

Wine prices were high and the pours light but quality was good.