• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to eat in Savannah [MERGED TOPIC]

KatieLoeb

• 1 month later...

Have you looked at this thread? Some useful information, maybe. I'm lazy, and I won't rewrite what I wrote over there.

Still, a few points to add. It's easy (and instinctive) to dump on the Lady and Sons, or at least on Paula Deen's outsized fame, but we went last week with friends who wanted to go, and had a great meal. I'll grant you that getting a table is a hassle (you wait in line to get a reservation for later in the day), but the fact that it's so crowded means that the buffet selections are constantly being refilled. And you know what? The food is very good. The fried chicken is crispy and flavorful, the greens, beans and veggies are solid (and long on pork, in the best Southern tradition), and the biscuits and hoecakes are addictive. So I wouldn't rule it out.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Sweet Potatoes is my favorite restaurant in Savannah. Great interpretations of Southern classics, and reasonably priced.

Bonna Bella Yacht Club is a place that flies under the foodie radar, but is definitely worth a visit. It's on a dock overlooking the marsh, so you get a gorgeous, almost 360 degree view. And the food is quite good: casual stuff like an excellent crab stew, shrimp and grits and fish tacos.

I'm convinced that Wiley's is doing the best barbecue in Savannah right now. They do great brisket (rare in Georgia) and pulled pork, and have a good selection of sides, including killer fried okra and green beans. Their daily specials (smoked meatloaf!) are worth checking out too.

If you head out to Tybee, try Tradewinds for ice cream, and (even better) shaved ice. Fanny's has some first-rate onion rings, and their seafood is good as well.

I stick by the contention I've made before that, if you're coming from anywhere with a first-rate restaurant scene, it's best to avoid fine dining in Savannah. I've not tried every place, of course, and I won't bother writing about the disappointing meals I've had. I'd also be delighted to be proven wrong, but after ten years of visiting a couple of times a year, I haven't found anyplace that was worthwhile.

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

• 2 years later...

Hello, all -

I'm going to be in Savannah in September, and I'm looking for some recommendations... I've booked Local 11Ten, plan to eat downstairs at the bar area of Olde Pink House (I heard that was better/more fun than booking a table). I have one more night there and I'm looking for ideas. Considered Elizabeth on 37th, and it looks good, but honestly I'd like to find something maybe a little less formal. (Price isn't really an issue, but being a Californian, I like the slightly more casual, "find" type of places: the ones with amazing food, whether simple or fancy, the places locals love, the up and coming chefs, etc.) Also looked at Alligator Soul, but I've read both really good and not-so-good things.

I greatly appreciate any recommendations you might have...

Thanks much,

Christina

Christina

www.sleeplessfoodie.com

Forgive me, but I am a little confused as to why you seem to wish to seek a Californian experience in Savannah, GA?

Why not seek out experiences there which you would not readily enjoy in CA, including a formal dinner at a table in the Pink House in the US Southern style? Just wondering.

Hi, huiray -

Oh no, I'm not looking for California cuisine/experience in the least. Just don't need a full formal Southern meal every night. (Also going to Charleston this trip, and have that type of dining covered). Trying to mix it up a little, and I always enjoy low-key neighborhood-type places as well as formal ones. (Plus, the big production/staid sorts of places tend to have plenty of press, and I find they often - not always - are tired and rest on their laurels, resulting in food quality that is less than stellar. Just my experience.) I'm asking for recommendations for the "finds; places that are perhaps lesser-known, maybe not the ones that will come up on all the websites because they're not necessarily the oldest or most touristy, but have good food and that the locals enjoy. The place that your friend in town tells you about vs. all the touristy websites. That's what I'm hoping for. Thanks!

Edited by cpl55 (log)

Christina

www.sleeplessfoodie.com

Wall's BBQ (in the alley) is a well-liked local spot. I've never been there but family who live in Sav swear by it. And it's beyond casual.

I can also recommend Leopold's Ice Cream store downtown. They serve sandwiches and things, which I've heard are good but have never had. But their ice cream really is the real stuff, hand made from the owner's dad's original recipes. I happen to be somewhat related to the owner so we get frozen care packages periodically and there are always fights over who gets what and how much and how often. Great stuff.

If Mrs. Wilke's is still running, that is a real experience. Shared, family style tables, and artery busting old fashioned southern food. They were still operating quite recently but I'd heard rumors about them finally closing after being in business so long.

For real old-fashioned Savannah -- where the power brokers used to hang out (actually, I think they still do) -- try Johnny Harris, especially if you're in the mood for fried food.

There's also the Breakfast Club out at Tybee -- a real casual beachy place with excellent casual food and the coffee has a slight salt tang. Don't think they have dinner, tho.

Edited by SylviaLovegren (log)

• 3 years later...

Bump!  I will be in Savannah in early May. Any new ideas? Never been there. I'm leaning toward seafood, local fresh fish I can't get on the West Coast, soft shell crabs, anything really good, local produce. Special funky joints, fun atmosphere. Not interested in anything Paula Deenish. Upscale for a splurge okay, but not stuffy. Thanks for any help!