• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Madeira

Ron Johnson

Can anyone recommend some good articles, books, or other information on Madeira, specifically its historical origins as a beverage, the different types, and its history in the United States in the early to mid 1800's?

Thanks.

Edited by Ron Johnson (log)

Material on Madeira (in English) is pretty sparse. The most widely available book is Madeira, by Alex Liddell (published by Faber & Faber) but it doesn't have too much on the history in US. However there are many references in the Bibliography.

The best book (IMO), but now out of print (although I have seen it in used book stores) is 'Madeira the island vineyard' by Noel Cossart, published by Christie's Wine Publications in 1984. It has a chapter on Madeira in north America.

There are also some articles around that describe the Madeira gatherings in the 19th century in the US. These are more sociological than historical and may be worth while searching for. The one around most recently was 'Our Madeira Heritage' by F William Sunderman, and it includes a reprinting of 'A Madeira Party' from 1895. It was published in 1979 by the Institute for Clinical Science in Philadelphia!

The best source of material (and old madeira wine) in the US is the Rare Wine Company in Sonoma. They currently have a book for sale (on their web site) called 'A Century Past (Madeira in America)'. I haven't read this.

And don't believe the oft-repeated story that the taste of madeira wine comes from the 7 year fire that burned all the trees on madeira island. Just stand on the top of the island for a few hours to discredit it!

There are also some articles around that describe the Madeira gatherings in the 19th century in the US. These are more sociological than historical and may be worth while searching for. The one around most recently was 'Our Madeira Heritage' by F William Sunderman, and it includes a reprinting of 'A Madeira Party' from 1895. It was published in 1979 by the Institute for Clinical Science in Philadelphia!

This is brilliant! Thank you so much. I am especially interested in Madeira Parties held in the United States in the late 1700's and early 1800's. This is a huge help.

estufarian! right on, brother! it would've been so apropos if this madeira thread would've been your first post, no?

one of the best sources on madeira is michael broadbent's brother (i think it's his brother). i apologize for not being able to recall his name right now. is he at the rare wine co.?

bobbie.

estufarian!  right on, brother!  it would've been so apropos if this madeira thread would've been your first post, no?

one of the best sources on madeira is michael broadbent's brother (i think it's his brother).  i apologize for not being able to recall his name right now.  is he at the rare wine co.?

bobbie.

I think you mean Bart Broadbent - his son.

it would've been so apropos if this madeira thread would've been your first post, no?

Glad you got the reference. Indeed madeira is my favourite wine (hence the nametag). I guess it's also a propos that someone with your surname would notice it.

And Bartholomew Broadbent has his own company (who do indeed produce 'modern' Madeiras). The Rare Wine Company works directly with contacts on the island.