• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tom Sietsema's Online Chat

lizziee

This issue was addressed in one of Dornenburg and Page's books (either Dining Out, or Becoming a Chef). Several chef's pointed out that it is best to resist temptation to treat some customers to things that are not given to others, because the others will notice. One example would be larger portions (like an extra piece of Foie Gras). What happens is that you keep one customer happy, but run the risk of alienating all of those who notice.

By the way, I thought that everyone gets the Hot Chocolate, both times I have been we were given some.

This is morphing into a topic on its own, but just two more cents from me. Almost all major businesses spend large amounts of money collecting and sifting data so that they can do exactly that: identify their best customers and give them preferential treatment. It's called customer segmentation, and it makes eminently sound business sense. Airlines and banks spring to mind as the most obvious cases, but just about any time you talk to any customer service representative at any call center these days, her CRM software will tell her whether, from the perspective of that particular business, your patronage is worthwhile and that will, in large measure, determine the kind of treatment you receive. So I see no reason why restaurants should not either reward regulars or otherwise try extra hard to win over customers who, for one reason or another, may be in a position to help out the house -- say by subsequently evangelizing for it in some unnamed public forum or other. :wink: Seems like common sense to me.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

[This is, in fact, a great topic for its own thread, and I'm going to split it off into the General Food Topics forum tomorrow. Please feel free to keep the discussion going, but if your posts "disappear" tomorrow, it's only because I moved them over there for the entire site to discuss.]

I agree it is good business, but you have to know how to do it so that you do not offend those who do not recieve the perks. That is one place where airlines fail, they make the frequent fliers feel well served, while making the others feel like chattle. I am not sure that there are many ways to do it quitely in that business, but in the restaurant business you can do it more quietly. You can comp a dish, or have the server say quietly that desert is on the house. What you do not want to do is make one customer feel like they are less important than others. In most businesses you are going to have more non-regulars than regulars, so you have to at least not offend them.

What about too much comping?

After factoring that tip, you'll always spend more money if you're a conscious human being. If you're a "food writer" too. And what do you do then when your beginning to feel like a fattie, you vowed not to be out long or eat too that much that night...and POW WOW. Mo' food, mo' booze. You're eatin' my friend, and you're tipping 49%...

In my case, though, not so much to worry about. The hot chocolate at Ray's is a nice touch. Why not for everyone? Maybe he ran out.

Edited by morela (log)

After factoring that tip, you'll always spend more money if you're a conscious human being. If you're a "food writer" too.  And what do you do then when your beginning to feel like a fattie,  you vowed not to be out long or eat too that much that night...and POW WOW. Mo' food, mo' booze.  You're eatin' my friend, and you're tipping 49%...

In my case, though, not so much to worry about.  The hot chocolate at Ray's is a nice touch. Why not for everyone?  Maybe he ran out.

Once again, the common sense and acuity of the darling, darling Morela rule the day.

Occasionally we temporarily run out of the free to everyone hot chocolate (in the winter, other treats in the other seasons) and may not have a sufficient window to bring it to an isolated table or two. It gets busy in there sometimes.

I'm more non-non-plussed by the poster, on Tom's chat that I "only" stopped by once and therefore must have dissed them. Perhaps they were expecting a private audience performance of my famous roller skate tap dance routine while juggling flaming knives. Sheesh.

Everyone who is in the know knows that if I visit a table a second time I run the risk of having them stay for an unacceptable 91 minutes. And no hot chocolate after the 85th minute. Ever.

I really don't think you need to respond to these very silly posts on Tom's chats which are probably coming from one of your competitors. Can't wait to visit your restaurant.

Why is the DC area so full of crybabies?

After factoring that tip, you'll always spend more money if you're a conscious human being. If you're a "food writer" too.  And what do you do then when your beginning to feel like a fattie,  you vowed not to be out long or eat too that much that night...and POW WOW. Mo' food, mo' booze.  You're eatin' my friend, and you're tipping 49%...

In my case, though, not so much to worry about.  The hot chocolate at Ray's is a nice touch. Why not for everyone?  Maybe he ran out.

Once again, the common sense and acuity of the darling, darling Morela rule the day.

Occasionally we temporarily run out of the free to everyone hot chocolate (in the winter, other treats in the other seasons) and may not have a sufficient window to bring it to an isolated table or two. It gets busy in there sometimes.

I'm more non-non-plussed by the poster, on Tom's chat that I "only" stopped by once and therefore must have dissed them. Perhaps they were expecting a private audience performance of my famous roller skate tap dance routine while juggling flaming knives. Sheesh.

Everyone who is in the know knows that if I visit a table a second time I run the risk of having them stay for an unacceptable 91 minutes. And no hot chocolate after the 85th minute. Ever.

I find it astonishing that one restaurant, Ray's the Steaks, is constantly singled out for criticism week after week.  He ought to just stop taking questions about Ray's.

No such thing as bad publicity!!

I just wish Ray's was open on Mondays.

Does Michael really need a day off? :wink:

Sometimes Michael even wears a black Grand Marnier polo shirt in the dinning room, under his apron. Cry wolf about that everyone...

All that product placement a Ray's; the Remy-Martin people are livid.

I mean, even though Ray's doesn't have liquor for sale, let's get really up in arms about his favoritism of that cognac. God, Ray. I'm telling Tom.

Edited by morela (log)

I was all ready for a hearty lunch until I read about the used bandaid in the Arlington poster's Thai food.

Now my curiosity is peaked: what's the worst/most disturbing thing you have ever found or had a customer discover in a dish?

I was all ready for a hearty lunch until I read about the used bandaid in the Arlington poster's Thai food. 

Now my curiosity is peaked: what's the worst/most disturbing thing you have ever found or had a customer discover in a dish?

A slug! When I called the manager over to show it to him (the waiter wasn't in the room at the time) he told me "Don't worry! Everything is organic". I had to laugh. It was durng the summer and the little creature apparently has fallen off of some fresh greens that were used as a garnish. I wasn't particurlary freaked out. At least it wasn't a half eaten slug. Yuck. The restaurant was incredibly remorseful and comped us some fabulous desserts. And yes, we've been back since the slug incident.

A well done steak when I SPECIFICALLY asked for Med. Rare....YUCK that's just gross.

Edited by Fred (log)

I seem to recall a thread about a news report of someone finding a condom in their soup.

That was at McCormick and Schmick's in another city, and the lady put it in there herself. She put an unpackaged condom in clam chowder and tried to get rich...

Help please!! How do you view the live chat? I have a link to the page, but don't see any live chatting.

Thanks in advance :blink:

Edit: I eventually got to the live chat page, but not until half-way through.

Edited by monavano (log)

Alexandria , Va: Hi Tom ,

How should we answer a customer, when they ask a glass of red chardonnay and they insist such a grape is available ?

Tom Sietsema: Carefully!

I wonder if said customer is thinking of a blush wine?

Anyone aware of this grape ? A lady kept asking for this , I just couldnt explain to her. :huh:

Corduroy

General Manager

1122 Ninth Street, NW

Washington DC 20001

www.corduroydc.com

202 589 0699

How should we answer a customer, when they ask a glass of red chardonnay and they insist such a grape is available ?

Anyone aware of this grape ?  A lady kept asking for this , I just couldnt explain to her.  :huh:

Red Chardonnay? (third bottle down)

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Anyone aware of this grape ?  A lady kept asking for this , I just couldnt explain to her.  :huh:

Red Chardonnay? (third bottle down)

Why? :huh:

"See these? American donuts. Glazed, powered, and raspberry-filled. Now, how's that for freedom of choice."

-Homer Simpson