• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tom Sietsema's Online Chat

lizziee

So, does Colorado Kitchen really have a list of rules on the table?

"We were excited to go back, but were really stressed the whole time because, despite the excellent behavior of our child, the chef's rules (printed and put on the table) made clear that only perfect children are welcome. Moreover, the rules state that the restaurant does not provide crayons or paper, leading us to conclude that if we pulled out our own (which we always carry in case our son needs to be entertained) we might be ejected from the establishment for improper dining behavior. Then the statement about people who want their meat well done (might as well act like a woodchuck or something like that) on the list of rules really had as uncomfortable (although we do not like our meat well done). "

That sounds spectacularly unappetizing.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Since when are jackets 'un'comfortable?

I'm with you Mark. One of my pet peeves. It really distresses me to see supposed "gentlemen" in a fine dining atmosphere who don't have the courtesy or respect to at least wear a jacket. Respect, I mean, not just to the establishment, but to other diners as well.

In particular, I remember being completely appalled New Years Eve 2003 in a fine dining restaurant, for a special $150 menu, and the slobs I saw there in rolled up shirtsleeves and uncollared shirts. :angry:

(My other peeve is men who refuse to remove their hats inside!) :angry:

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

Frankly, I think it is the diner's interest to wear jacket and tie to a fine dining establishment, include Restaurant Eve. I think the staff subconsciously treats better dressed patrons better. You get more respect if you show more respect. I think a lot of guys are either too lazy to put on a jacket and tie or lack sartorial confidence.

Screw coats and ties. I'm more worried about this.

"Arlington, VA: Why NOT write about some of your bad experiences? They may be as helpful (or more so) than the positive ones.

Tom Sietsema: Because they are backstage stories that don't affect customers. Like the chefs at a well-known restaurant who have sex in a walk-in cooler -- THAT kind of thing."

:blink:

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Frankly, I think it is the diner's interest to wear  jacket and tie to a fine dining establishment, include Restaurant Eve.  I think the staff subconsciously treats better dressed patrons better.  You get more respect if you show more respect.  I think a lot of guys are either too lazy to put on a jacket and tie or lack sartorial confidence.

Works well while flying as well. People never understand while I always wear a jacket when traveling. I have found that if I do not wear one I am much less likely to get an upgrade, window seat (my preference), or other benefits.

Frankly, I think it is the diner's interest to wear  jacket and tie to a fine dining establishment, include Restaurant Eve.  I think the staff subconsciously treats better dressed patrons better.  You get more respect if you show more respect.  I think a lot of guys are either too lazy to put on a jacket and tie or lack sartorial confidence.

My one surprise at Eve was the number of people in the bar in jeans and casual tops. Granted it WAS the bar, but still....

While I didn't really notice any difference in service at Eve due to attire, as mnebergall and Shtitch both noted, the way you present yourself has an impact on how you get treated in almost any customer service situation.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Since people buy them and refuse to have them tailored, or wear refuse to have the jacket retailored after their gut has grown.

That's me! Oh yeah, they're warm too.

No problem wearing a tie, though.

Of course, I just back from South Africa, where shorts are de rigueur in summer unless it's a Relais Gourmands.

(Shameless plug: My cohort Rich and I are pouring some of our wines at Rick's in Alexandria this Saturday afternoon).

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

I'm a lady, so I don't have as much jacket wearing experience as the men, but I think DCMark merely missed the point of the other poster's orginal question: where to get good, inventive food in a CASUAL atmosphere. We don't know if this guy hates to wear jackets, he just seems to want to not have to wear one in this particular instance. Different strokes, right?

As for people being slobs all the time, that's another matter. If most people don't have to wear suits to work everyday (thank God!) or to church, why are they going to dress up to get something to eat?

I'm a lady, so I don't have as much jacket wearing experience as the men, but I think DCMark merely missed the point of the other poster's orginal question: where to get good, inventive food in a CASUAL atmosphere.  We don't know if this guy hates to wear jackets, he just seems to want to not have to wear one in this particular instance.  Different strokes, right?

As for people being slobs all the time, that's another matter.  If most people don't have to wear suits to work everyday (thank God!) or to church, why are they going to dress up to get something to eat?

I find dressing slovenly in church even more distressing than doing so in a restaurant. As I told my children, "you should dress at least as well to speak with the Creator of the Universe as you would for a job interview." Not that they bought it, but it keeps them out of sneakers and jeans.

I'm on the pavement

As I told my children, "you should dress at least as well to speak with the Creator of the Universe as you would for a job interview."  Not that they bought it, but it keeps them out of sneakers and jeans.

If the Creator is so interested in us being properly dressed, then why aren't we born with a coat and tie on? Next time I see your kids, I'll be sure to pass this retort on.

I'd prefer, whenever possible, to not wear a coat and tie. But I will when the situation calls for it, just because you're "supposed to". :angry:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

As I told my children, "you should dress at least as well to speak with the Creator of the Universe as you would for a job interview."  Not that they bought it, but it keeps them out of sneakers and jeans.

If the Creator is so interested in us being properly dressed, then why aren't we born with a coat and tie on? Next time I see your kids, I'll be sure to pass this retort on.

I'd prefer, whenever possible, to not wear a coat and tie. But I will when the situation calls for it, just because you're "supposed to". :angry:

My children need no coaching from you in the area of smartass replies; they have an innate talent for them. I have no idea where it comes from. :laugh:

They can wear jeans to Mass when the Pope does.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

So, does Colorado Kitchen really have a list of rules on the table? 

That sounds spectacularly unappetizing.

No kidding. The attitude is why we haven't bothered going back to CK. It's stressful enough taking our kids out (and ours are well-behaved) without the feeling that the slightest infraction will get us thrown out. IMO a restaurant with meatloaf on the menu needs to take itself a little less seriously.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

My one surprise at Eve was the number of people in the bar in jeans and casual tops. Granted it WAS the bar, but still....

While I didn't really notice any difference in service at Eve due to attire, as mnebergall and Shtitch both noted, the way you present yourself has an impact on how you get treated in almost any customer service situation.

Well I guess I better bring a change of clothes if I ever decide to stop and eat at the bar at Eve after work one day.

Why are people so hung up on what people are wearing?! You all sound like an old boss that I had that made me wear a suit to pull LAN cables under raised floor at a customer sight. Of couse he got the dry cleaning bill. :biggrin:

I really cannot believe that someone not 'dressed' up enough ruins your dining experience.

Rant over... :angry:

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Put me in the category of wearing a jacket when I would be out of place without one, but not if I'd be out of place with one. I'd say 98% of the places in DC qualify as the latter.

That said, even when not wearing a jacket I feel overdressed compared to the other diners in a lot of what I would consider nicer places when wearing a nice shirt and dress slacks.

There are several layers of appropriate dress between suits and jeans.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

Can't resist getting in on this discussion on dressing to dine: I'm really of two minds -- the libertarian/egalitarian who really couldn't care if other folks come in their Birthday Suits or their Tux's; and the parent who cues his kid that she is in for a dining experience above and beyond going to Mac's by having her dress-up as she did when we went to Eve a few weeks ago. Clothing has an effect both on the wearer and the beholder -- I'm more concerned about the effect on the wearer when it's me or my own.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

You took the words right out of my mouth. :smile:

The poster didn't say "I want to go to Citronelle dressed like a slob" but instead asked for creative cuisine in a more casual setting.

I'm a lady, so I don't have as much jacket wearing experience as the men, but I think DCMark merely missed the point of the other poster's orginal question: where to get good, inventive food in a CASUAL atmosphere.  We don't know if this guy hates to wear jackets, he just seems to want to not have to wear one in this particular instance.  Different strokes, right?

if you don't wear them much or if the one you have doesn't fit well, they can be. kinda like coach rig (robert loggia) in necessary roughness.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

Well I guess I better bring a change of clothes if I ever decide to stop and eat at the bar at Eve after work one day.

Why are people so hung up on what people are wearing?! You all sound like an old boss that I had that made me wear a suit to pull LAN cables under raised floor at a customer sight. Of couse he got the dry cleaning bill. :biggrin:

I really cannot believe that someone not 'dressed' up enough ruins your dining experience.

Rant over... :angry:

Well, mdt.

Part of the restaurant experience is atmosphere and people are part of that atmosphere. I have different expectations of the atmosphere at a place like Eve than I do of a place like, say, Jaleo.

I can't recall ever having said it "ruined" my dining experience. I said I was surprised. Surprised that they thought it appropriate to wear jeans and a t-shirt to a relatively high-end place, even in the bar area. Did it "ruin" my dinner? no. Did it change the atmosphere of the room? Yes.

Without getting off on a rant of my own, I find that the blatant disregard of one's effect on others to be one of the least appealing facets of modern American culture.

PS - I wouldn't have made you wear suit to pull cable, but would have expected at least khakis, a golf shirt and a clean shave. :raz:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I totally agree--the way people dress impacts atmopshere in a big way. My personal pet peeve? Shorts. For the love of God, if you are going somewhere that is even remotely stylish, please do us all a favor and put on your big boy pants.

Funny you mention that. Just last Saturday as my family and I waited for our table, I sat next to a way-drunk tourist (he introduced himself that way) in shorts at David Greggory's bar.

:rolleyes:

I totally agree--the way people dress impacts atmopshere in a big way.  My personal pet peeve?  Shorts.  For the love of God, if you are going somewhere that is even remotely stylish, please do us all a favor and put on your big boy pants.