• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tom Sietsema's Online Chat

lizziee

Alexandria , Va: Hi Tom ,

How should we answer a customer, when they ask a glass of red chardonnay and they insist such a grape is available ?

Tom Sietsema: Carefully!

I wonder if said customer is thinking of a blush wine?

Anyone aware of this grape ?  A lady kept asking for this , I just couldnt explain to her.  :huh:

I'm guilty. Sometimes when I'm in an evil mood, I tell people that pinot noir is red chardonnay. :laugh: (Sure beats white merlot! )

Mark

This one might have been my favorite today:

Re: Being Seated: I think everyone should start reserving under "Stella."

Or was it this one?:

After reading the transcript with all the requests for a vegetarian only chat, I realized there is a new kind of vegetarian, more strict than a vegan... someone who not only doesn't eat animal products but can't read about them either !

Where or who is Nome?

Nome: Where can I get some of that poison Japanese blowfish?

Tom Sietsema: Fugu? I recall Cafe Japone serving it awhile back. The fish must be cleaned by specially trained chefs before being served.

This seems dirty.

According to The List:

Kaz Sushi Bistro is the only restaurant in the DC area that has permission to serve Fugu. (Only about a dozen or so restaurants are allowed to serve Fugu in the entire United States).

Likewise, Kaz is doing a 5-course Fugu tasting through end of month.

From Tom's chat yesterday...

Washington, DC: Tom, I love your work and therefore I am sorry to be grumpy but I wish you would STOP recommending Palena in these chats. I am a regular there, and over the past few months that place has been pocked (not packed, pocked) with loudly twittering 20-somethings who think they're at the latest Zola or Helix or something like that. Needless to say, this ruins MY experience. Palena is not a happening new club, people: it is a fine neighborhood RESTAURANT that happens to have a great bar. So go back to your 1221 and your Blue Gin.

Has to be a regular eGer, right? Anyone?

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

According to The List:

Kaz Sushi Bistro is the only restaurant in the DC area that has permission to serve Fugu. (Only about a dozen or so restaurants are allowed to serve Fugu in the entire United States).

I'm curious about who grants permission to serve Fugu. And how quickly does it poison you? How many deaths/poisonings are attributed to poorly served Fugu? Or is Fugu's deadliness just an urban legend?

Washington, DC: Tom, I love your work and therefore I am sorry to be grumpy but I wish you would STOP recommending Palena in these chats. I am a regular there, and over the past few months that place has been pocked (not packed, pocked) with loudly twittering 20-somethings who think they're at the latest Zola or Helix or something like that. Needless to say, this ruins MY experience. Palena is not a happening new club, people: it is a fine neighborhood RESTAURANT that happens to have a great bar. So go back to your 1221 and your Blue Gin.

Probably Hillvalley now that she's 30.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

According to The List:

I'm curious about who grants permission to serve Fugu. And how quickly does it poison you? How many deaths/poisonings are attributed to poorly served Fugu? Or is Fugu's deadliness just an urban legend?

according to a program on foodnetwork , that fish can kill someone just under 5 minutes , so you wont be able to catch the ambulance , and in Japan there are still 10 -12 people passing away every year because of incorrect prepaired fugu.

Also the poisoned parts must be locked in a special container and send back to the demolition zone .

Corduroy

General Manager

1122 Ninth Street, NW

Washington DC 20001

www.corduroydc.com

202 589 0699

According to The List:

according to a program on foodnetwork , that fish can kill someone just under 5 minutes , so you wont be able to catch the ambulance , and in Japan there are still 10 -12 people passing away every year because of incorrect prepaired fugu.

Also the poisoned parts must be locked in a special container and send back to the demolition zone .

Anybody ever read T.C. Boyle's "Sorry, Fugu?"

Concerns a chef with a deep dislike for a certain restaurant critic.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Has to be a regular eGer, right?  Anyone?

At first I thought the poster might be complaining about me because it's possible that after a cocktail or two I might "twitter" (I don't know - I'll have to ask my friends if I'm guilty of that). And sure go there a lot.

But then I realized I'm not a 20-something anymore. :wacko:

The trick to being in your 20s and having the older people accept you is being cynical.

Just be a big cynic and look for an extra big bun on your hamburger and a fruit fly in your glass of wine.

Twittering is unacceptible.

The trick to being in your 20s and having the older people accept you is being cynical. 

Nah, they just like having us around because it makes them look younger when the goatee doesn't work.

Oh, and I expect penance to be paid in the form of a big pot of cassoulet in my near future :wink:

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Wasn't me -- I enjoy hearing 20 somethings "twitter." If you want torture try listening to a teenage daughter and her friends.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Twas me:

No Jacket Required?: Why can't people show the courtesy to wear a jacket (and horrors, a tie!) when dining is a fine establishment like Citronelle? If you want casual, try the drive-thru.

Tom Sietsema: I believe the chatter was looking for interesting food in a place that didn't require dressing up. That's all.

Responding to:

Something Creative: Tom, I'm looking for the creativity of a Citronelle but not the "jackets required" policy.. if you know what I mean. Price isn't the issue as is comfort.

Tom Sietsema: The chef's tasting room at Eve in Alexandria is certainly worth investigating. As is Frank Ruta's Palena.

Since when are jackets 'un'comfortable?

Edited by DCMark (log)