• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tom Sietsema's Online Chat

lizziee

Fruit Flies like wine much better than any unfermented fruit. It's fun to wach them become intoxicated, then to dust them with kosher salt and see them return to daily life. I wish people would throw salt at me when I got drunk (instead of glassware and whatnot).

Edited by morela (log)

More generally, does anyone else feel that Tom's chat is steadily becoming more of a forum for airing diners' grievances (both real and imagined) than the interactive advice column that it used to be? It seems the Post's chronically dyspeptic readership has discovered they need not confine their bile to the reader reviews section of its Web site, but can now vent their spleen in real time too. So every other "report back" now ends in some variant of: "I wouldn't go back to Restaurant X if the world was drowning in piss and they were located at the top of the only remaining tree. Yah boo sucks with knobs on!" Clearly the industry folks around here have noticed, judging by how fast the smart ones personally jump in to extend an olive branch and the, um, less facile ones get on the phone and shout at their PR until a snippy little note materializes on their behalf.

It's certainly not Tom's fault that he practices his trade in a city that cultivates self-important pricks like wet logs grow mushrooms -- and he probably prints a certain amount of the wingnuttery just for the humor value. But I think he puts himself in a tough spot when he allows ad hominem attacks like the bathroom dispute at Bistro D'Oc, because what's to stop anyone writing in and kicking it up a notch by stating: "I had an interaction with the owner/maitre d'/bartender at X/Y/Z that led me to believe he/she/it is a racist/sexist/homophobe/Ali G fan." Unless you're actually going to check out these sort of complaints and establish the truth of the matter (if you can), it's not much of a consolation to offer right of reply the next week. As in this case, plenty of people will simply discount any explanation offered as damage control and continue telling their friends to add X or Y or Z to the above piss/tree category. And I'm not just saying that because I like Bistro D'Oc a lot, and know the gentleman in question, and have found him unfailingly courteous and genuinely friendly, and don't for a minute believe he'd be that rude to anyone who hadn't thoroughly earned it. No siree. :wink:

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Stretch, I think that Tom should restrict the serious complaints to his Ask Tom box or not at all. As you said, anyone can say anything. Tom uses the instant nature of the chat as an excuse for not checking the stories. However, he does have a choice to answer specific questions and the instant nature of the Internet does not preclude him from his journalistic responsibilities.

Stretch, I think that Tom should restrict the serious complaints to his Ask Tom box or not at all.  As you said, anyone can say anything.  Tom uses the instant nature of the chat as an excuse for not checking the stories.  However, he does have a choice to answer specific questions and the instant nature of the Internet does not preclude him from his journalistic responsibilities.

I don't think that's particularly fair. Things fly fast and furious, and when he posts a serious complaint, more often than not he only comments with, "Putting this out there for a response from the team at XXX", or questions the comment with "Really? I've never had that problem" etc. He corrects himself if he is mistaken. And he often puts the asshats in their place succinctly.

He does an awfully good job - especially now that he (and specifically the chat) seems to have transformed from purely informative for the dining public into something of a mediator and meeting ground for dialogue between diners and restauranteurs. I can't think of anything anywhere else quite like it.

I suspect things will settle down again - though this is funny reading, lately.

He does an awfully good job - especially now that he (and specifically the chat) seems to have transformed from purely informative for the dining public into something of a mediator and meeting ground for dialogue between diners and restauranteurs.  I can't think of anything anywhere else quite like it. 

I can think of another place that is a "mediator and meeting ground for dialoge between diner and restaurenteurs."

I can think of another place that is a "mediator and meeting ground for dialoge between diner and restaurenteurs."

Don't forget Tom pokes his head up around here from time to time and we know he lurks (perhaps he's here right now!!!!) EEEEK!!!!! :shock:

But somehow I think the paycheck he gets from the Post is somewhat bigger than that what the forum hosts get around here (namely $0) :laugh:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

He does an awfully good job - especially now that he (and specifically the chat) seems to have transformed from purely informative for the dining public into something of a mediator and meeting ground for dialogue between diners and restauranteurs.  I can't think of anything anywhere else quite like it. 

I certainly agree on the first count: we are lucky to have such an energetic, enthusiastic and, above all, unstuffy, critic working for our paper of record. And I think you've put your finger on what has made his live chats special, the effort he makes to bridge the gap between the local restaurant community's producers and consumers. But in some cases, the mediation analogy simply fails and what we get is a trial in the court of public opinion. A trial in which one party is not even required to appear in person, but is free to introduce what may be quite harmful allegations without the burden of producing any supporting evidence whatsoever. Unless Tom wants to play the judge, and I'm sure he doesn't, these sorts of cases would be better settled out in the hallways, as it were.

I think Stretch has put his finger on the nub of the problem. Consumers write in and complain about some perceived slight and the burden atomatically shifts to the restauranteur where there seems to be a presumtion of guilt. I think Tom should try to move his chats away from a sort of "People's Court" or "gripe line" format to something that provides information to people about where they can go to find what they want in terms of restaurants. This last chat just had too many "who shot John" scenarios. No restaurant is perfect and those that are close to perfect charge more than those that are less than perfect.

I think Stretch has put his finger on the nub of the problem.  Consumers write in and complain about some perceived slight and the burden atomatically shifts to the restauranteur where there seems to be a presumtion of guilt.  I think Tom should try to move his chats away from a sort of "People's Court" or "gripe line" format to something that provides information to people about where they can go to find what they want in terms of restaurants.  This last chat just had too many "who shot John" scenarios.  No restaurant is perfect and those that are close to perfect charge more than those that are less than perfect.

But then we'd all complain about "Tom's chat is nothing but 'I want x for x people for x occasion with x, x and x restrictions and at $x price a head' " :wacko: Maybe every week there could be an overarching "theme" to the chat - a serious complaint he's gotten and researched and posted at the beginning, and feedback would come in from both sides, mixed in with other questions and comments - sort of like using the "Ask Tom" blurb as a prompt for discussion.

Or maybe we should all stop expounding on how Mr. Sietsema ought to do his job :laugh:

Frankly, I think the only reason some eGulleteers pay attention to his chats is so that they have something to complain about. I you don't like the "I need a restaurant that serves x food for y number of epople with z attributes" or you don't like "they treated me poorly at the ABC restaurant" what else is there?

BTW, it looks like he has his eye on Oyamel.

Is anyone other than I taken aback by the assertion in yesterday's chat that there is "arrogance" going on at Ray's the Steaks? [second to the last posting on the chat]

I find it astonishing that Michael Landrum would let someone have a "standing reservation." If Michael told them that he was doing them a great service by extending them that privilege, then he is right. Ray's is not a private club.

My guess is that there is more going on here than meets the eye. I don't see Michael bringing up issues such as "private club" or mentioning that he does them a "great service" by allowing them to have a "standing reservation" unless they did something to abuse the privilege, like not showing up or showing up with something less than the full party. If someone has a standing reservation, they better show up with all their guests or else call ahead and let the staff know. Michael is a small businessman and show not have to put up with abuse of his good nature.

I'm surprised that this posting made it through Toms' filter.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

I, too, was surprised at that post. There MUST be something else going on. Ray's isn't a big enough space to allow for such things as "standing reservations" (as I understand the term).

Rick Azzarano

I have watched the NYC v. DC debate on this chat and there is no way the DC comes close to approximating the dining experience in the City.

Simply put, consistency and customer service are light years ahead in NYC. While almost all restaurants do have customer service issues from time to time, in my experience when called on it in NYC, they would immediately apologize and offer to make up for the situation. In DC, that is almost unheard of, and I reference the Bistro maitre's response to the pregnant woman and her husband, my own experience at 2 Amy's and of course,the consistent arrogance of Ray's the Steaks.

Consistency wise, is there one restaurant in DC aside from Seasons,Neyla or the Caucus Room that is consistently solid from meal to meal?By solid I mean polite,prompt and delicious.

Sorry Mr. Sietsema, but DC needs some serious work.

this seems so strange and inconsistent with every experience i have had at ray's. i have never identified myself as an egulleter, so that can't be it either.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

I visit 2 Amys as much as anyone else - probably once a week. I really want to know what days people go where they say they receive bad service. I don't think I've ever received bad service there. I've never been to Ray's (I know, I know), but everything I've read about it here says otherwise.

I don't understand why people are always comparing DC to NYC. I mean, it is a completely different city with different people and a different culture. I want someone to point out to me a Ethiopian restaurant in NYC that is nearly as good as Meskerem, Zed's or Dukem.

Consistency wise, is there one restaurant in DC aside from...

OK, let's parse this a little.

Seasons, Neyla...

I live in Georgetown, you know!

or the Caucus Room...

I'm a partner in a law firm, you know!

that is consistently solid from meal to meal? By solid I mean polite, prompt and delicious.

By solid, I mean consistently servile, as is my due.

I reference ... my own experience at 2 Amy's and, of course, the consistent arrogance of Ray's the Steaks.

I still can't believe the gall of those people making me wait to be seated. On chairs they couldn't even be bothered to upholster. At a table I didn't even get to choose. Among all those horrible plebs with their squalling brats. And then acting like they don't have to kiss my ass just because they serve great food and have lines around the block!

Sorry Mr. Sietsema, but DC needs some serious work.

Sorry Mr. Sietsema, but I'm a tool. I'm a tool, tool, tool. I'm an unbelievably self-important and annoying tool.

Just to be clear, here is the portion of Wednesday's chat that I was referreing to:

"Arrogance at Ray's: Arrogance meaning that the owner tells a family member that the restuarant is not a "private club" after we've had a standing reservation for a year. Arrogance would also include the gentleman informing me that he does us a "great service" by keeping this reservation and we should be thankful for it.

That's arrogance in anyone's book.

Tom Sietsema: Ouch! "

It also sounds like the "standing reservation" is in the name of some family member other than the one registering displeasure on Tom's chat.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

Just to be clear, here is the portion of Wednesday's chat that I was referreing to:
"Arrogance at Ray's: Arrogance meaning that the owner tells a family member that the restuarant is not a "private club" after we've had a standing reservation for a year. Arrogance would also include the gentleman informing me that he does us a "great service" by keeping this reservation and we should be thankful for it.

That's arrogance in anyone's book.

Tom Sietsema: Ouch! "

It also sounds like the "standing reservation" is in the name of some family member other than the one registering displeasure on Tom's chat.

I saw this same complaint when I googled Ray's and clicked on the Wash Post citation which includes comments. My reaction was similar (although not nearly as hilariously summed up) as Stretch's dissection above. A group of us who feel like celebrating the events of earlier this week -- sorry to those of you who have expressed dismay with those same events -- will be gathered at Ray's this evening and I'll query Michael as to his feelings about this. My guess it's merely water off the proverbial duck's back. Nothing beats success!

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

The fact that this same knucklehead has submitted his rant as a review that shows up on the Post's web page is outrageous. I hit the "request removal" button and we'll see if it goes away. If anyone is being arrogant here it is this guy who abused a priviledge and now screwed it up for the rest of his family. It amazes me sometime the lenghts people will go to prosecute a grduge.

This from today's chat smells to me like the same guy who was bashing Ray's last week:

Ray's the Steaks: Sorry if you already got this but my computer crashed and I am not sure if it went through.

We live in Arlington and were walking past Ray's last night and looked at the menu since we hadn't been in a while. Have you seen his current prices?!?! They are outrageous. It looks like Ray has gotten quite full of himself! Why would anyone pay prices similar to a top notch steak or seafood restaurant in the city to eat at Ray's? We have taken Ray's permanently off our list of restaurants and will not recommend it in the future (which my husband frequently did). Harry's has great filets, is a much better deal and has awesome atmosphere.

Tom Sietsema: Great meat, like prime seafood, doesn't come cheap. With wine, tax and tip, dinner at Ray's is still about half the price of a meal at any of the fancier steak houses in Washington. Plus, at Ray's, a diner can get unusual cuts of beef that aren't available at much of the competition, at least on a regular basis.

Thankfully, Tom came to Ray's defense this time. And, I don't think the prices have gone up recently at Ray's. Tom is right that a comparable dinner at Harry's Tap Room would be double.