• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hotel Godin?

munchcake

So I went to the opening last night... they really wanted to start with a bang, let me tell you.

The lobby reception was a Moet-oysters-sushi affair and the party on the third floor was catered by Buena Notte, Rosalie & Globe. About a dozen rooms were open, some to visit, some with food themes, according to the catering restaurant (i.e. parmesan-prosciutto room for Buena, "fast-food" style for Rosalie — smoked salmon pogos, tartare mini burgers). The food was in abundance, so was the wine and martinis. Music was great old school stuff but I'm still not getting some of the "entertainment": a sumo wrestler, Elmo (!), a couple of tam-tam chicks and some acrobatic angels (not to mention the 5 santas in the lobby). Stick to one theme next time guys!

We left early as it was getting waaaaayyyy too crowded in there. Must be getting old :sad:

The chef's gonna be Kerry Simon from Las Vegas... that is the latest non official big rumour... the steak house king....

I believe that rumour was confirmed last night at the press conference. Either way, Kerry Simon was at the party.

Great party :biggrin:

Edited by ABG (log)

What A party indeed...I think you forgot to talk about the big breasted ladies ..the ones that play in movies... yes the food was good....plenty of vodka....good beats and lotsa people perhaps too many.... kerry simmons in the place.....really....

• 3 months later...

The first thing they should have done was start their paper work for the liquor license..not build a 20 million dollar hotel and then try to get it! NO ALCOHOL IN THE MINI-BARS IS A DISASTER! Never seen a hotel like that, dont even know why they are open!

the problem with the license is not the lack of paperwork and but the opposition to giving them one, due to their affiliation with the Buena Notte and Globe's (similar owners) which have been known to utilize restaurant alcool licenses for club settings and packing then the place up over capacity.

I have even heard that Glove will be imposed to close down for a full month due to its multiple capacity infractions

the problem with the license is not the lack of paperwork and but the opposition to giving them one, due to their affiliation with the Buena Notte and Globe's (similar owners) which have been known to utilize restaurant alcool licenses for club settings and packing then the place up over capacity.

I have even heard that Glove will be imposed to close down for a full month due to its multiple capacity infractions

.. and also the continuing thing with their group of restaurants(Buena Notte & Globe), being caught earlier for using the Zapper software. It doesn't look good at all for Hotel Godin.

-Steve

Edited by SteveW (log)

A weekend drink at the bar at Globe was forbidden without a food order.

still one has to wonder if it's worth over packing the place when you have to shut down for, what i believe to be 45 days. 

i guess buenna notte and rosalies will be getting a lot more customers in the next month and a half : the big rent has to get payd somehow on st laurent!

maybe other retautants on the street will profit from their repetative greediness

• 1 month later...

Has anyone stayed here? A friend and I are thinking about coming up to Montreal for a visit...we used to live nearby and were curious about the hotel. How are the rooms? Is there a bar? Whatever happened with the restaurant?

The May issue of Conde Nast traveller states that the bar at Hotel Godin is one of the world's hottest new bars. Makes me think all these world's best lists are just full of it.

Still the rooms in the main hotel section are nice if you like that stark decor. Request one with a seperate bath and shower with a western view if possible.

• 4 months later...