• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hotel Godin?

munchcake

I live near the site of the new Buona Notte Group's Hotel Godin, which I believe, given the noise, is just breaking ground today. Posters around the building have said the opening would be this summer and that it will house 2 restaurants. Does anyone know more about this project? When it might be completed? What type of cuisine they will be serving? It's a beautiful building, and the project seems quite ambitious, so I'm curious for more details.

Thanks,

Lauren

hello lauren,sorry about the noise it seems to be a re occuring problem for me ,noise that is....visit our website at hotelgodin .com 2 restaurants or maybe only one,big surprise if theres only one restaurant,make sure to check out virtual tour on site......thanx david

If we're looking a these luxury mini-chains found in hotels, there's always Asia de Cuba.

But foreign chains have never worked in Montreal. Just look at Hippopotamus and Fouquets -- disasters. Though the Cuba edge might pull in some diners (not that anyone I know goes to Cuba for the food :rolleyes: ).

It would be great to have a Fandango II in the neighborhood with PARKING!!! If only they could get rid of the Esso accross the street. I noticed the virtual tour on the web shows it as a grassy patch with a bench. Is there an approximate opening date yet?

Lauren

After almost eight years on St.laurent- I believe there is no more room any more restaurants.

It will be impossible for everybody to survive-impossible.

I've said it before I'll say it again- Saturday night in the summer there is people for everyone but from november to may it is a tough sell on st.laurent.

cook-em-all, that's an interesting statement. I'd put the blame on the crappy restaurants that opened up around the good ones, which I think brought down the whole level of the street.

I always think there's place for another good restaurant. Savannah, up the street, seems to be doing pretty well, no?

Crappy restaurants is subjective Lesley because some might say it is some of the crappiest that are doing the best.

It is numbers- not enough people , too many restaurants.

My name is Zach Suhl. I have worked on St.laurent in many capacities, most recentlly as Chef of Mediterranneo.

I consider myself as a some sort of expert when it comes to the St.laurent scene(clients and restos).

Tim Horton's works, and so would McDonalds after that I'm not sure. The concept I have pushed for with my owners is a Dean & Delucca type enterprise-high end epicerie, plats cuisiniers.

Again nothing will convince me everyone can survive even with the enlarged palais de congress ( which many have been banking on).

i would love it to be a sushi samba ,but no, we have to stop this line of questioning because im really not at liberty to say anything although i wish i could,its not a local project nor an american one ,and thats all,the construction has started ,but many things can go wrong ,the godin should open in two years,and alot of things can change in a period of time like that....the second i can say something this will be the first place...